Change the... or the???

owens231

Registered
Right, just thinking, why do people change there gearing when you can change the sprockets...???

is it because they want a higher 1st gear

and say they want to go 140mph in 3rd instead of 100mph??

and then compress them all using both sprocket combinations??

Just learning at the moment :)

I never bothered changing them on my bike, but thinking i should to make the accel faster, as i'll never get to use the top speed...

Thanks

I don't think many people make gear changes on a busa. When someone says I'm changing the gearing, they are referring to sprocket changes like you said.

Reason for changing the gearing 1 o 1!

One for better low end performance! Quicker acceleration! It does lower top end speed some. On some bikes the first gear is too tall, which causes the motor to buck or surge! This helps smooth out this issues.

Two for more top end speed.... like trying to run the Monster mile. Or having an engine with too much power and trying to help slow down the rapid acceleration on the engine by loading the engine up more!

Three for shorting the wheel base of the bike or lengthening it. If you add teeth the the rear sprocket...it moves the wheel forward to the front of the bike. (shortening the wheel base) Turns better, more nimble. Smaller rear sprocket moves the rear tire towards the rear.(Lengthening the wheel base.) More stable if you go this way. Harder to turn the bike.

So the stock busa has a gearing of Front sprocket 18/ rear sprocket 43
If I make the front sprocket a 17 tooth and left the rear at 43 teeth. The bike would accelerate quicker but have a lower top speed. If I keep the front an 18 and add 3 teeth to the back a 18/46 combo. It would be close to the 17/43 setup. So if you remove or add on tooth to the front sprocxket... you would have to add or subtract 3 teeth to the rear. The front sprocket is a major adjustment. The rear sprocket is for fine tuning the ratio you are looking for!

So this is an example you will see in 6th gear. ( Example purposes only) Each bikes rpms can be affected slightly more or less!)
At 60 mph with stock gearing of 18/43 the tach will read 3600 rpm
At 60 mph with this gearing of 17/43 the tach will read 4000 rpm.
At 60 mph with this gearing of 19/43 the tach will read 3200rpm

Last edited:
ohhh thanks :)

i understand now, i have had so many bikes, changed the sprockets loads, but never have changed the gearing, due to me not knowing how...

Id love to buy a old bike thats worth nothing, and learn how to change gearing and things :)

its on my life to do list...

1. Learn gears
2. Parmila Anderson
3. dump gf
4. buy a buggati

ohhh thanks :)

i understand now, i have had so many bikes, changed the sprockets loads, but never have changed the gearing, due to me not knowing how...

Id love to buy a old bike thats worth nothing, and learn how to change gearing and things :)

its on my life to do list...

1. Learn gears
2. Parmila Anderson
3. dump gf
4. buy a buggati

Stay in school kid :lol:

Okay, i have changed them!!

i know i really should go back to school, getting kicked out at the age of 13 didnt really help...

But ahh well, im still happy and alive!!!

use the search button:rulez: everything you need to know is here. I spent almost a year reading before I ever even became a member!

Back