Change fuel. Why this?

Re: Change fuel. Why this? But wait there's more ?

Had an issue here with a bike blow up here on a dyno >>>>>>>>>> during the search for the reason as to why it did so, I sent fuel from the bike to a Fuel Lab to be analysed (ie have octane rating checked) The results I recieved back where that the octane rating was 100 % spot on. The chemist also then went on to inform me but >>>>>>>>>>>>>> two fuels can have identical octane ratings, but due to different additives that are added by different fuel companies can make the BURN CHARACTERISTICS (his words) different. In other words once the fuel is ignited (Flashpoint) the rate and manner in which it burns will be different. He then went on to say that the fuel I used for TURBO application was fine as far as OCTANE rating went but the BURN CHARACTERISTICS of that particular brand of fuel was not suitable or ideal for TURBO environment. So what I learnt from this costly exercise was that it is more than just fuel octane rating to be considered when choosing a fuel ................ especially when doing so for top level engine performance. I also now advise people to have the fuel type they are going to use in the bike on the day when being tuned.
This fuel was a major brand top selling high octane performance fuel sold here in Australia ................ I've never used it since.
Now thats FUEL if not food for thought :rofl:

Last edited:
I think you will find the "autoshift" is referring to a quick shifter electronically or pressure operated. ????

Octane ratings have nothing to do with fuel quality. 87 octane is not lower quality gas than 91 octane or 93 octane or 105 octane. Octane ratings are only a measure of how the gas burns in the combustion chamber. Indeed, your combustion chamber's function determines what octane your gas should be!

You should use the gas that is meant for your bike.

Gen II Busas run on 91 Octane gas and don't do well on 87 octane.

Is 93 octane okay for a Gen II Busa? Someone else should be able to answer that question better than I.

--Wag--

Ok, question...I have a gen II and always run 93 octane, firm believer...

Except at Maxton, when we obviously run the hardest out of any short track.

Anyway, I in the Maxton Mile I run MR9 which is 87 octane but higher oxygen content. How does the motor react to this...does the higher oxygen counter out the combustion issues with 87 octane fuel?

I can tell you per the numbers I've seen it ads about 10 hp with my set up over 93 pump gas.

Just at a rough guess higher oxygen content would mean a leaner fuel ratio which gives more HP >>>>>>>>>>>> not nescessarily safe HP ? But lean side of ideal 12.8 A/F (Full Power) will always produce more Horsepower. Will also burn hotter. Your running to a degree along the lines of NOS ............... more oxygen content for a given fuel quantity(Volume) . Remember nothing burns with out air.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Boss...I think I'm going to pull the question over to a thread and see what else I can find out about it. I wanna run fast, but still be safe on the bike. I am running Brock's map which to my knowledge is supposed to be mapped for the MR9 anyway. Run's a bit rich on the street.

Pleasure Sir ................... this can be a great reason to run a wideband meter like an Innovate or similiar on the bike as it can let you know if your in the safe zone or not as conditions and parameters change. Cheap compared to a rebuild. :beerchug:

Back