Chains. Who has had one break, and details.

mike1180

Banned
There are 2 threads running right now about broken chains.
One of them broken for the second time.
Who has broken one before?
If so,
1. What brand was it?
2. How many miles on it?
3. What damaged did it do?
4. What was the suspected cause?

Not on my street bike, but I had a Renthal chain snap on my dirt bike. Caused MAJOR damage!!!!! Went through the back of the tranny. It just snapped about 12" from the master link.

I had the stock chain replcaed on a SRAD Gixxer 750 in the late 90's and the rivit in the master link broke. I don't remember the brand but I was real lucky on the damage. I drifted for about 2 miles and took the next exit off the interstate (Still drifting) and pulled over at a car lot. A couple kids saw the whole thing happen and picked me up, took me back up the interstate and got my chain.

I had an EK drag chain i bought off a board member. Had a few passes on it...was practically new. It broke because i tightened it enough for me then threw my fat ass X on the back and nailed it passing a car. Not to mention i used a clip master link and not a rivit...saving a buck. Damage. Chipped swingarm tail section. Bent shift lever broke clutch hub, damaged 4 and another gear, cracked bottom of case. Basiclly if you look on the chain side of your bike at the engine, everythig that is within about 6 inches of the case was beat to hell. Unfortunatly it didnt make it around the tail section to wrap around her neck...oh well

I had a DID chain on a dual sport spit out the back of my bike. It didn't damage my bike, but it scared the hell out of my friend that was following me. It sliced right through his jeans as it passed by.

I had an EK drag chain i bought off a board member. Had a few passes on it...was practically new. It broke because i tightened it enough for me then threw my fat ass X on the back and nailed it passing a car. Not to mention i used a clip master link and not a rivit...saving a buck. Damage. Chipped swingarm tail section. Bent shift lever broke clutch hub, damaged 4 and another gear, cracked bottom of case. Basiclly if you look on the chain side of your bike at the engine, everythig that is within about 6 inches of the case was beat to hell. Unfortunatly it didnt make it around the tail section to wrap around her neck...oh well

That last statement was hilarious dude.

Broken two..one spit a master link taking off from a stop. Put the bike in 1st, let the clutch out and heard it shoot about 40ft behind me. That was a Regina chain. Re-master linked it and rode it another 6mos. Second one was the same chain with 10 additional links, one clip and one press master link. It split under full throttle in second gear. Split the sprocket cover, the tiger racing chain guard, tore up the cush drive, sprocket and swing arm as well as a nice whip mark on the tail section. Inspect your clutch rod seal if it broke the rod. If its torn even slightly it will leak and the cases must be split to relace it...ask how I know :).
Posted via Mobile Device

21K miles on stock chain. Almost no stretch. Rarely have to adjust it.

Lube procedure: clean lightly with WD40. Wipe dry. Apply gear lube sparingly to each pin area, both sides. Wipe off excess. Do this every 200 miles. Defintely do this after riding in the rain. The whole process only takes about 15 minutes. (For those rare longer rides on weekends, I use Silkolene synthetic chain lube.)

06 Red/black. HMF system, carbon fiber cans. PC III. K&N. Pirelli Strada with 10,500 miles. Undertail kit. Stock gearing, but I'm planning on 17/42 when I install new chain...soon. I love this bike!

Back