Chains & Sprockets?

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
My understanding is that if you replace a chain, you should definately replace the rear sprocket. But if I need to replace my rear sprocket, is it necessary to replace my chian? The chain looks good....isn't stretched or anything.

Should I replace the front sprocket at the same time as the rear?

replace both sprokets and if the chain looks ok and not in bad condition keep the chain.
just remember the chain is what wheres the sprokets through the amount of torque and heat i believe and through both torque and heat that what streches the chain.
i use chain gel and its non flick good all round lube but others may use different
beerchug.gif
hope that helps.

Replace them all front,rear and chain.one part if they have a fair amount of miles on them has wear patterns and will destroy anything new your mix with them shorting life of all parts faster.

If the sprockets are in good shape, no need to replace 'em.

--Wag--

I do need to replace my rear sprocket, but chain looks good, doesn't have that many miles and has plenty of stretch left.

If you can afford it, replace all 3 together.

But you don't have to.  But the new part/parts will wear faster than if all 3 parts are put on new together.

Out of the 3, my front sprocket wore out first
wink.gif
Just cause you can't see it, doesn't mean you should forget about it
beerchug.gif

Everything I've read and heard tells you to replace all three components. And don't go cheap. And if you don't have access to a chain break / rivet tool make sure you specify a screw type master link , Just my two cents. Just did mine. You'll need a 32mm socket for a newer bike to get the CS off.

Back