CHAINS FOR A BUSA

GIXERHP

ok, ok...just a wee bit Irish...
Donating Member
Registered
HI I NEED A GOOD CHAIN, WHAT DOES ANYONE RECCOMEND!!!!!!!

TSUBAKI 530 HQR  It is the worlds strongest NON O-ring Chain.

Good for a couple more HP...
seriously....its good for more hp ? wow . An' stands up to everyday use an' abuse ? I'm impressed .
Me , I use the DID Xring . Have YET to adjust the monkey,an' it's been a couple thou . An' I ride my Bich like a "three dollar hoar".

Can't remember where I read it, but there was an article somewhere about the "X" and "O"-ring chains. I do remember the article saying that the "X"-ring chains are better and are supposed to resist stretching as much as an "O"-ring chain. They are also better at keeping out dirt because of their design. There was more to it, but I can't remember it all. I will look for the article again and post it because I just read this about 2 weeks ago.

Brian

The HQR has a 10,500 tensil strength. It will not last as long as the o-ring, or x-ring but I am stealing every last available hp. Besides I was only getting about 3,500 miles out of regular chains. I clean it before every ride with WD-40. Sure it streatches. 245 hp and 144 ftlbs of torque will do that.
Matt

10,800 lbs on the EK zvk which is an x-ring.

Any top of the line chain should be fine. just do not cheat for weight reduction or pretty colors.

While on the subject let me show some of my newbieness to the sportbike scene. While on 3 HDs I never had to worry about chains/maintenance. Now all of a sudden I have to pay attention down there. What can I expect from my chain and what should I be doing with/to it as far as maintenance. Can I get it wet while washing the bike? Should I be spraying it with something etc ? Im all ears guys. Thanks in advance .

Keep it clean is the best advise I can give. i clean after every ride. Then lube. It is more importnat to clean first. i use sewing machine oil before every ride, it does not stay on as long but keeps all the dirt from sticking to the chain.

While on the subject let me show some of my newbieness to the sportbike scene. While on 3 HDs I never had to worry about chains/maintenance. Now all of a sudden I have to pay attention down there. What can I expect from my chain and what should I be doing with/to it as far as maintenance. Can I get it wet while washing the bike? Should I be spraying it with something etc ?  Im all ears guys. Thanks in advance .
1. u can get it wet when washing, like riding in the rain right.

2. I'm old skool , clean with Kerosene or wd40 .

3. I use motorcycle specific lube , Bel-Ray is the latest an' greatest (I think) . You want to avoid whats known as "Fly-off" . Ya lube yer chain with other type lubricants....3 blocks down the road yer chain isnt lubed anymore....yer plastic,tire side,motor,etc etc IS .

4. Chain maintenance is/can be LIFE-SAVING . Picture yer chain failing at 275 kilo's an' hour...not pretty .
Plus the exspense , I think I paid about 200 for last 1(thats canadian)

Take care of it....it'll take care of you .

Ok good advice guys ,now how do I go about lubing it ? Do I just walk it along and spray the sections as I get them in sight or do I use my rear stand. Sorry for the kindergarten questions I know its important and I dont want to deal with my dealer if possible. Thanks again .

Ok good advice guys ,now how do I go about lubing it ? Do I just walk it along and spray the sections as I get them in sight or do I use my rear stand. Sorry for the kindergarten questions I know its important and I dont want to deal with my dealer if possible. Thanks again .
ok bigfoot......no question is stupid....if its something honest you want to learn about .
Sure , people can get bored of the "newbie type" Q's .
But I dont mind helpin' out just about anybody . Most on here are like that , I found .

ok.....

First CLEAN IT. There is little point in sprayin lube over dirt.

Second Lube it . Yup,you got it,up on yer stand(race,center,or otherwise)

I use kerosene in a spray bottle and tooth brush. I clean the heck outa the chain , then wash the bike , then lube the chain .

Some believe in havin the chain HOT , u know , from a ride.
I dont think it's really ness. Hot chain. Hot metal. Hot metal expands . Less room between metal an' X or O ring for dirt to get out,an' lube to get in . Dont worry . Just me .

For me I have always needed a center stand for my street machines, It's not like a milk crate will support them.
Anyhow coming in from a ride, I put the bike up and check for bug hits too the front and everything else that has been jumpng at me.
I then restart the bike,(with the rear tire elevated) to check the alignment of chain over sprockets and tensioner nuts.
After applying your solvent of choice ( wd-40, Kerosene, Sulphuric Acid, or whatever)
Hand roll the rear tire foward,while applying a light coating of your perferred oil or wax.
When you take out your Falcon and it feels like you are cutting warm butter in summer,you have done it right.
P.S. I do this too a DID Gold plated X - ring that cost me 130 delivered.

I best advice for chains on the Busa is to not ride in the snow...it's too freakin' cold!!
these crazy swede's dont seem to mind .
drink.gif

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also get rear spools and then use jack Stands. They are more solid then a rear lift and 1/10th the price.

Get an EK 530 ZVX X-Ring Chain. Great chains for the long haul. I don't know of a better X-ringer. Once again I'm just a rookie. I'll let you know how long it lasts.

Back