chain

smonroe86

Donating Member
Registered
so what do you use to take care of your chain? I havent done anything with my chain yet but while my bike was sitting the chain started rusting and i figured maybe clean the chain with some WD-40. not to sure yet.

I spray some WD40 onto a rag and then wipe the chain. After that, wax it up. It helps to ride the bike and get the chain warm (not hot) before doing all of this.

(smonroe86 @ Jun. 14 2007,15:34) so what do you use to take care of your chain?  I havent done anything with my chain yet but while my bike was sitting the chain started rusting and i figured maybe clean the chain with some WD-40.  not to sure yet.
That's a .. BIG NO NO! On a Hayabusa.......I have seen guy's Not Lube their stock chain on New Busa's with less than 1500 miles break!

They figured it looked ok......dah! NOPE!

Lube SATURATE with a good Lube every few hundred miles 400 max and if your a Rain Rider EVERY RIDE!

I hope i didnt mess mine up I shot a little brake clean on a rag and cleaned my chain last night
Only on the rag and then only cleaned the outside of the chain then just soaked it with chain wax
I like it the best it does'nt make near the mess that some of the other stuff does !!!!
But thats just me I ride mine every day rain or shine but contrarey to what people say I get about 20k per chain so they can last a while!!!!
JUST KEEP IT LUBED !!!!!
all_coholic.gif

well for a start i just WD-40 the whole chain got it all clean and pretty along with the area the chain is since there was oil in them places and i just used some 3 in 1 oild for now till i can find some stuff to use but i am tryin to get my busa all cleaned up and pretty so i dont have to come back to a fukked up bike again since i leave in a week to go back to iraq for 10 months. but i came back to my bike all dirty some new marks a flat tire dirty chain gosh and one problem lead to another........
all_coholic.gif

(smonroe86 @ Jun. 14 2007,20:39) well for a start i just WD-40 the whole chain got it all clean and pretty along with the area the chain is since there was oil in them places and i just used some 3 in 1 oild for now till i can find some stuff to use but i am tryin to get my busa all cleaned up and pretty so i dont have to come back to a fukked up bike again since i leave in a week to go back to iraq for 10 months.  but i came back to my bike all dirty some new marks a flat tire dirty chain gosh and one problem lead to another........
all_coholic.gif
wow, that sucks man. Maybe you could try to find
someone to maintain your bike while you're away.
At least stabilize the fuel, get the thing up on stands and lube everything up real good.

4 those that think they are doing good by washing the chain with solvents! You are actually defeating the reason they us rubber rings too seal the dirt out and the super lube in. Oiling etc just lubes the contact of sprockets to rollers, which will reduce heat and corrosion. Never use B kleen it will Fubar the rubber seals.
all_coholic.gif

(Luvanicebum @ Jun. 14 2007,22:51)
(smonroe86 @ Jun. 14 2007,20:39) well for a start i just WD-40 the whole chain got it all clean and pretty along with the area the chain is since there was oil in them places and i just used some 3 in 1 oild for now till i can find some stuff to use but i am tryin to get my busa all cleaned up and pretty so i dont have to come back to a fukked up bike again since i leave in a week to go back to iraq for 10 months.  but i came back to my bike all dirty some new marks a flat tire dirty chain gosh and one problem lead to another........
all_coholic.gif
wow, that sucks man.  Maybe you could try to find
someone to maintain your bike while you're away.
At least stabilize the fuel, get the thing up on stands and lube everything up real good.
i dont have any stands but before i left the last time i filled up the tank and put stab. in the fuel so at lease she ran good and i am takin care of the rest.

Well after the pool incident...we used Motorex 611, and chain wax, but then "someone" was supposed to have done that already........

(twisterst4 @ Jun. 14 2007,18:21) Where can we get a good price on the EK chain? I need a chain, might as well try one of those. Thanks, Dave
148.00 for EKZZZ chain thru my dealer. Did new cush and sprockets a couple weeks ago. Went from 17/43 to 17/39 for highway trips. Love this setup..

As posted above, brake clean is a NO NO. It will damage the O rings in your chain. The manual says to clean with kerosene, heat the chain up by riding a short distance, then lubricate with 90 weight gear oil or chain lube. I like chain wax as it will not sling all over the bike. I have cleaned my chain in this manner since new, and I just replaced the chain at 30,000 miles. I replaced the stock chain with an EK 530 ZZZ from board sponsor Street N Track, approx $130. You will need a chain tool to break the old chain and install the new one. You can buy the chain tool for about $80, or you may be able to borrow one from a board member. A clip type master link is NOT recommended. Hope this helps.

(FalconofFreedom @ Jun. 14 2007,15:47)
(smonroe86 @ Jun. 14 2007,15:34) so what do you use to take care of your chain?  I havent done anything with my chain yet but while my bike was sitting the chain started rusting and i figured maybe clean the chain with some WD-40.  not to sure yet.
That's a .. BIG NO NO! On a Hayabusa.......I have seen guy's Not Lube their stock chain on New Busa's with less than 1500 miles break!

They figured it looked ok......dah! NOPE!

Lube SATURATE with a good Lube every few hundred miles 400 max and if your a Rain Rider EVERY RIDE!
Ummm, the chain is sealed by orings. The REAL lube is in the links for the life of the chain. For outside cleaning/lube I used to clean with kerosene and then apply chain lube. I since have reduced the work to one step. Oil dampend rag, clean and lube at the same time. I don't buy chain failures after 1500 miles from not servicing your chain. I would suspect LOTS of drag racing is a more likely culprit.

Ps: I hate chains and the maintainance that go along with them. But, its all part of the sportbike thing.

kerosine in a spray bottle to clean [as pper owners manual], i use honda pro lube because it's clear and does'nt fling.

Back