Chain Tension Help

It'll be jerky like that @ idle, there is not consistent power being applied at that engine speed. To check proper tension, put it on the kick stand and as close to the middle of the chain from the front & rear sprocket on the bottom you want to measure a total up + down measurement of ~1.5".

I put a tape measure on the ground and set it so that an even #, say @ the 7" mark is right at the middle of the chain...I'll push up, take note of where it went...then push down, take note again...add the 2 together to see how close I am to 1.5" total if I'm .2~3 from my target of 1.5"...I call it a day. If not...loosen or tighten as necessary.

Should barely be able to pull on the bottom row of the chain up to the chain guide in front of the swingarm.

little to no effort hitting chain guide tighten it.
takes a good bit of effort but it touches the guide, leave it.
cant touch the chain guide. loosen it.

Too loose and believe me you have plenty of adjustment left. A little adjustment goes a long way.

Also it's better to be a little loose than tight at all. Give it a little throttle next time and it will look better to you on the stand. You can use just a little fast idle and still watch the chain as before.

You're right. A little adjustment goes along way. I took it for a ride and it's MUCH better. Thanks for all your help! Hopefully this thread will be beneficial to others as well. :thumbsup:

Also want to check your chain for stretch limits.
As your adjusting your chain check it in different areas.
Feel the slack, rotate the wheel so the chain moves around 20 links and test the tension again do this till you have checked the total length of the chain.. Use the master link as your reference point of start of check and end of check.

If you notice the chain tension isnt even the whole length you may want to look into replacing the chain..
Chains are cheaper then engine cases and accidents when they snap.

Good luck:beerchug:

I'm having an issue with my chain being too tight...if I could adjust the caliper hanger bar or if they sell an adjustable one it would give me the slack I need..any info?

Thanks

loosen the caliper hanger bar bolts (14 mm) then adjust the chain using the adjusters by the rear axle... (while on kickstand) . tighten the axle...put in the cotter pin...then tighten the 14mm bolts for the caliper hanger bar... go ride!!

Back