Chain Service . Cheap , Easy , And Clean !

c10

Registered
I have been accused of being a bit OCD or as correctly put cdo :) Now that I have sold all the toys , and other bikes except the wife's Yamaha T Max ( keeper ) there is plenty of time for extreme service .
I'm so anal the hayabusa's chain gets a wipe down after every ride . I found that this gun cleaning brush is great in between plates . Little Kerosene , and terry towel :)
In a effort to reduce the crap getting on the wheel /tire I came up with this . I plan on making one a little bit better out of a thin plastic sheet soon .

20160221_072729_zpswecmig11.jpg
20160221_072701_zpseiw8fnig.jpg
20160221_074021_zps71ypjka7.jpg
20160221_074028_zpsgmx6ahop.jpg

Last edited:
:(You should have posted this 3 days ago, before I covered my wheel in kerosene and ruined my nice looking vinyl wheel stripes.

I'm as anal as you are about keeping my bike clean and I've been doing this for years. She's an 09 and looks like she just came off the showroom floor every time I ride. If you use shiny packaging cardboard it will last a long time. You still have to wipe down the hub a bit if you use spray lube but it beats cleaning the whole wheel. If you want you can add a second piece on the other side and overlap them. A couple of small bungie cords can hold them together to keep the cardboard against the hub when you turn the wheel.

every so often I put the bike on the rear stand and remove the rear wheel...then I drape the chain into a plastic pan...I can pour in kerosene, but usually I spray w/ 1/2 can of wd 40...pulling the chain around and around...lots of dirt comes out

Get you a grease ninja and you will not have any lube to clean up at all. Best 15 dollars I have spent in a while.
That looks like a great product i think i'll ask my sis to bring me one down when she visits in Nov.

I to use cardboard to help catch the fling and kero for cleaning, i spray a little bit of silicone on that side of the rim to help clean the inevitable bit of 'non fling' that ends up there.

Good idea but what annoys me about this bike or other sports bike with out a centre stand is that its a PITA to put in on the rear stand in the first place I can't put the rear stand on by my self have to get someone to hold bike up ect how do you guys do the stand thing :thumbsup:

20141003_162517.jpg
20141003_162506.jpg

Bah, I hate cleaning a bike.
I just buy chains.

The chain is actually the only part I do clean, ocasionally. Kerosene and Dupont teflon chain wax.
But Pledge is the only way to go for everything else, for my anual bike cleaning, lol.
It not only cleans and shines, and smells great...but it's the only thing I've found that gets off dead moths and bug guts. Spray on, let soak for a minute, wipe off, spray again, scrub and polish to a shine. Quick and easy...and I still hate doing it.

Just take the hump off and use the latch bar.

I don't have a grab bar either, and I'm stretched and lowered. I posted this in another thread, I think it's the safest and easiest way because it removes all variables.

Back