Chain question

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I have a new gold EK ZZZ chain. First, when the link is installed, does the part with the pins get inserted from the back of the chain with the flat plate crimped on from the side facing away from the bike? Second, if the first is true, can I turn the piece that gets crimped on over so the black and not the gold shows? I want to be able to see the master link.

Street&Track says don't do it. I don't see why. The plate is perfectly symmetrical and the holes are identical and they are not tapered in any way. If I painted the gold black, you wouldn't be able to tell any difference no matter how you flipped it. I could make a mark on the gold side, but it would disappear the first time the chain was cleaned.

u r right about inserting the part with the pins from the back. i have never heard of someone putting the outside plate on backwards.
i can find my master link and my outside plate was placed on correctly. it is still gold. the way i find it is there are holes in the pins. no holes but they look like holes. from using the chain tool to place the master link intact
hope this helps

u r right about inserting the part with the pins from the back. i have never heard of someone putting the outside plate on backwards.
i can find my master link and my outside plate was placed on correctly. it is still gold. the way i find it is there are holes in the pins. no holes but they look like holes. from using the chain tool to place the master link intact
hope this helps

Thanks, didn't realize you could tell the master by looking at the pin holes. That will work.

hope this helps
+1:thumbsup:

seal.gif

:laugh:

Here is a pic of the master with the dimples. See the difference? If it wasn't blue you would have to look really hard.

dimples.jpg

Back