Chain\New Sprockets

maddogs_1340

Registered
Gretz,All
Ok here goes.
Would like to know from the guru's here if i go to a 17T( Front sprocket)\46T(Rear sprocket) combination will my stock length chain work with the above gearing?
Also will that combination put me in fifth gear solidly or verge of sixth in the
quarter mile? Red-line is going to be set to 12,200 and plan on shifting at
Thankx,maddogs_1340

I have ran 17/46 and now am at 17/47 and it really depends on what mph your trapping. When my bike was doing 156 it was right on the limiter after the line with the stock 11.5k redline and 17/46. I now have bumped the redline and at 159mph I am just under 12k rpms in 5th with 17/47. And I would say there is no way that the 47 rear will fit with the stock chain. And even if it did, which it wont lol, you would have the shortest wb possible with the craziest gear possible (not a good combo for drag racing). And lastly all your going to do with that gearing and stock sb is wheelie down the whole track. If your stock wheelbast stick with the stock gearing:beerchug: If anything try 1 down on the front first, it will give you a longer wb with the stock chain and will be more gear than you need at swb.

Gretz,sean06
Thankx for the info.
Yea i was figuring that combo would be a hand full Lmao.
Well i am gonna try the front -1(17)and see what happens.
I got the bike lowered in front and rear with a pipe and using ECU
Editor to tune her.
Thankx again.

That is some great info you guys have shared. I don't do a lot of drag racing, but I do a lot of street and the occasional twisty riding. What do you guys think of a 16/42 setup? The bike is a '06 LE.

That is some great info you guys have shared. I don't do a lot of drag racing, but I do a lot of street and the occasional twisty riding. What do you guys think of a 16/42 setup? The bike is a '06 LE.

Stock being 17/40 going to a 16/42 is going to make for 2 things, a quick launch and a light front end. :laugh: I ran 17/43 on mine and the front didn't like the pavement much in 1st gear. Going down 1 in front and up 2 in rear is essentially going up about 4.6 in rear -keep your hands tight on the bars! :whistle:

The stock gearing on a Gen II is 18-43 and I run 18-46 on the stock chain so going a tooth smaller in the front will shorten your wheel base slightly more than mine and will definitely work with the stock chain length. I can't help you with the rest of your question but 17-40 is only stock on the 1st Gen

So what would be a good gearing suggestion for everyday street riding? Would just +2 on the rear give her more bottom end, and can you still use stock chain with +2?

So what would be a good gearing suggestion for everyday street riding? Would just +2 on the rear give her more bo
ttom end, and can you still use stock chain with +2?

i am getting mine done next week, parts has arrived already. two up in the back only black sprocket and that is plenty. the stock length chain should be fine. i ordered the new chain too.

Gretz,BIKE DUDE
Your post states if i go down 1 in the front it will shorten my wheel base?
Hmm i was thinking it will add length not shorten cause with -1 in the front
i would have to pull more slack out of the chain hence it would lengthen the wheel base i assume..lol..
The stock gearing on a Gen II is 18-43 and I run 18-46 on the stock chain so going a tooth smaller in the front will shorten your wheel base slightly more than mine and will definitely work with the stock chain length. I can't help you with the rest of your question but 17-40 is only stock on the 1st Gen

Gretz,myfirstbusa
Well i am about 99% sure my length will be longer hence less gear.Beings the sprockets diameter will be smaller because of the less teeth on it.lol
Wow, I haven't been this confused since my ex wife told me she loved me, but wasn't IN love with me:rofl:

Back