Chain Maintenance question

daviesmi

Registered
Ok I didn’t do my research before I went to the store. :banghead: I went looking for “stuffâ€￾ to do my chain maintenance and asked the guy there what I should use. I stated the place I’ve been taking the busa too uses some type of wax to coat the chain. Well anyway he sold me some Spectro SX chain wax. I went to the web site but found no real help.

My question is has anyone used this, is it any good? Do I need a chain lube too or is this good by its self?

Ok I didn’t do my research before I went to the store. :banghead: I went looking for “stuff” to do my chain maintenance and asked the guy there what I should use. I stated the place I’ve been taking the busa too uses some type of wax to coat the chain. Well anyway he sold me some Spectro SX chain wax. I went to the web site but found no real help.

My question is has anyone used this, is it any good? Do I need a chain lube too or is this good by its self?

Don't read too much into it. Any chain lube would work. Just make sure to pre warm the chain before you apply them, make sure to spray it on the inside of the chain so the lube would migrate outwards as you ride the bike. Do this every 300 miles or depending on type of riding condition/weather. Once in a while after you get a lot of build up, use WD40 and a toothbrush and clean the chain thoroughly. Let the chain dry and apply a thin coat of chain wax/lube. Make this a practice and keep an eye on your chain slack. Make it a habit to spin the rear wheel clock wise while you're cleaning the chain. My idiot neighbor just broke two fingers after accidently sticking his fingers inbetween.:laugh:

Last edited:
Don't read too much into it. Any chain lube would work. Just make sure to pre warm the chain before you apply them, make sure to spray it on the inside of the chain so the lube would migrate outwards as you ride the bike. Do this every 300 miles or depending on type of riding condition/weather. Once in a while after you get a lot of build up, use WD40 and a toothbrush and clean the chain thoroughly. Let the chain dry and apply a thin coat of chain wax/lube. Make this a practice and keep an eye on your chain slack. Make it a habit to spin the rear wheel clock wise while you're cleaning the chain. My idiot neighbor just broke two fingers after accidently sticking his fingers inbetween.:laugh:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That about sums it up... :thumbsup:

Maxima chain wax is the best+1:thumbsup:
0000_Maxima_Chain_Wax_--.jpg

I use light weight gear oil on my chain,,, no build up, just put on the inside and it works its way out

I'd stick with the manual...
The manual states to clean you chain every 600 miles with Kerosene and
relube...

Although a lot chain lubes will work, some a more user friendly than others
I've used some that flung crap EVERYWHERE and wont use again.

Maxima is the best I've used.

There has been some discussion if wd-40 is good longterm for the life of
you O-rings...if your O-rings (or "X"-rings) go...so does your chain.

I certainly don't have a definitive answer but it's enough of a question for me
to follow the manual and use kerosene which works very well.

I won't use Maxima chain wax or any other wax based product. The wax attracts grit and crap and will cause faster wear on your O-rings.

Also, the wax over time starts to "gunk up" around the front sprocket and it's a bear to clean up.

Finally, it adds NOTHING to the life of your chain. Lots of money to spend on a product that doesn't do anything.

#1 maintenance requirement is: Keep the chain clean. Use kerosene to clean the crud out of it and rinse away any debris. Then lube it with something lightweight. I use a basic silicon lube spray that you can get very cheap at any hardware store.

After saying all of that, I'm tempted to test the theory that since all of the lube is in the O-rings anyway, there is no point to lubing the chain at all. Simply keep it clean.

Like I said, though, I'm still thinking about testing that theory! :D

--Wag--

This is some good info on chain maintenance. I am looking for a new product to use as a chain lube. Getting a little tired of cleaning all the crap that gets flung everywhere from lubing the chain. I do use kerosene to clean my chain and it works really well for that purpose.

I use Maxima as well. Stock chain went 27K miles. Still have the stock sprockets at 67K. I do agree though, the most important thing is to keep clean, I use kerosene, and keep it adjusted.:thumbsup:

Back