Chain Life

Metricman

Registered
Hello, my bike has 12K on it. I take very good care of my chain by cleaning and waxing every 600 miles. I don't race it but I do get on it once in awhile.
How long can I expect the chain to last before I should pop for a new one ?
Chains are rated by number of hours are they not ?
Thanks for any input...
Mike

There are no absolutes as far as chain life. I have seen people wear out stockers sooner than the mileage you already indicated. Just keep cleaning it and keep an eye on it. I would think 20k ought to be a reasonable lifespan for this chain depending on maintenance and riding habits.
wink.gif

My first chain got about 15k second one got a twist in it after only 5k and I lived with it for another 5k, current chain has 5k and I hope it makes it to 20k.
It comes down to cleaning, upkeep and ride style then luck!

I was told it is done when it stretches beyond a certain point as measured by the swingarm. I trust the source, but if someone knows the documentation for this data that would be welcome to post.

Throughout the years with my experience with the Hayabusa I have seen and heard of stock chains giving way with minimal mileage under various types of stress.

My advise; The stock chain is garbage - replace it as soon as you take possession of the bike ! ! !

I run a 'RK530GB-GXW (this is a 'W' pleated O-Ring that retains that much more lubrication over 'X' type rings), EK530ZZZ (favoured by turbo people has a very HIGH tensile strength) ,, anything is better than that time bomb spinning on your drive train!

If you don't believe me,,, ask member 'Busa444' how lucky he was when his chain gave way or read his thread for yourself http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=113237.0 or read this Broken Chain at 2000 miles!!

ANDdddd, it was his billet sprocket cover that SAVED his water pump, engine case, etc., etc. Could have been more expensive than just deciding on buying an after-market non-violent chain.

Some of you virgin Busa owners, and never to talk down in a condescending way, NEED to hear some of the essential bits that should automatically be added to your bike AS SOON AS YOU BUY THEM!

FOR SAFETY-

1) Replace Stock Chain
2) Billet Sprocket Cover
3) Billet Stator Cover
4) Replace you stock brake pads with EBC 'HH' pads or other high sintered alternatives.
5) Braided Brake lines front and rear.
6) And re-valve your forks for your weight GPSuspension.com

Everything else is an add to performance.

prod-billet-sprocket-cover.jpg

super.gif

(Cookie @ Jul. 01 2007,12:20) Throughout the years with my experience with the Hayabusa I have seen and heard of stock chains giving way with minimal mileage under various types of stress.

My advise; The stock chain is garbage - replace it as soon as you take possession of the bike ! ! !

I run a 'RK530GB-GXW (this is a 'W' pleated O-Ring that retains that much more lubrication over 'X' type rings), EK530ZZZ (favoured by turbo people has a very HIGH tensile strength) ,, anything is better than that time bomb spinning on your drive train!

If you don't believe me,,, ask member 'Busa444' how lucky he was when his chain gave way or read his thread for yourself http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=113237.0 or read this Broken Chain at 2000 miles!!

ANDdddd, it was his billet sprocket cover that SAVED his water pump, engine case, etc., etc. Could have been more expensive than just deciding on buying an after-market non-violent chain.

Some of you virgin Busa owners, and never to talk down in a condescending way, NEED to hear some of the essential bits that should automatically be added to your bike AS SOON AS YOU BUY THEM!

FOR SAFETY-

1) Replace Stock Chain
2) Billet Sprocket Cover
3) Billet Stator Cover
4) Replace you stock brake pads with EBC 'HH' pads or other high sintered alternatives.
5) Braided Brake lines front and rear.
6) And re-valve your forks for your weight GPSuspension.com

Everything else is an add to performance.
I think I would move the BT56's to the top of that list personally.
laugh.gif

Cookie, who manufactures the front sprocket cover in your pic? I got 27K miles out of my stock chain before replacing with an EK 530 ZZZ, but I service my chain every few hundred miles.

That's the reason I went to the ZZZ chain.Seen waaaay too many stock chains pop and do serious damage.Stock chain is like Russian roulet,you never know.
Everytime a new guy ask what I need for drag racing.My first responce is a new chain.Then somebody always comes along and says "I don't have any problem with mine"Very,very,very bad advise to give a new guy.These stocker chains will pop!!!And do serious damage if not death.
When I play,I hit the throttle hard.The stock chain just don't cut it.Haven't even had to adjust that ZZZ since I got it.
If I buy that blue 08 busa.Suzuki has lost my trust.The chain will be replaced 1st PERIOD.

Chain Life has alot to do with how well its treated. If you are say a normal rider, no burn outs, wheelies, drag racing etc 18K is doable. One big killer of even the best top notch chain is too many wrong or too tight adjustments. Most quality ones will need one after initial stretch and maybe 4 more B 4 you need to watch it. A good lube and no harsh stuff for cleaning is the best. One cleaning with Brake Kleen and its toast.
crazy.gif

(GSXcite @ Jul. 01 2007,16:26) Cookie, who manufactures the front sprocket cover in your pic? I got 27K miles out of my stock chain before replacing with an EK 530 ZZZ, but I service my chain every few hundred miles.
GSXcite, I believe that that particular cover was made by the infamous TMH.

Although, I am waiting for Suzuki4life to spin one off for me that conforms to the flow of the frame. I haven't been happy with the 'hurry-up' straight lined covers that look too boxy and don't follow the lines.

Sooo, I have pounded on Gary (S4L) and when he does his next run, he is going to cut one out for me that I can basically take a Dremel to, once I have scribed the line from a stock cover, and form it myself. He says it is too costly to change the mold just to suit me. So I will do it myself before polishing it!
cool.gif

The other part of that picture not mentioned before, that is OH SO IMPORTANT if using H.D. springs is the slave support bar on this cover, too, that saves crunching the cover from the extra pressure caused by the HD springs!

And,,, the list goes on!

(proud dad @ Jul. 01 2007,16:49) <span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>That's the reason I went to the ZZZ chain.Seen waaaay too many stock chains pop and do serious damage.Stock chain is like Russian roulet,you never know.
Everytime a new guy ask what I need for drag racing.My first responce is a new chain.Then somebody always comes along and says "I don't have any problem with mine"Very,very,very bad advise to give a new guy.These stocker chains will pop!!!And do serious damage if not death.
When I play,I hit the throttle hard.The stock chain just don't cut it.Haven't even had to adjust that ZZZ since I got it.
If I buy that blue 08 busa.Suzuki has lost my trust.The chain will be replaced 1st PERIOD.</span>
I hear you, man,, this isn't funny stuff. Replace ASAP!

I treat my chain like gold,, I even talk to it! Hmmm,, come to think of it,, I think I named it once!
laugh.gif

Seriously, like 8Daytona8 says, keeping your chain TOO TIGHT will result in a loss of horsepower and kill a chain,,, and maybe you!

I usually keep a little less than an inch of slack and check it often.

WD-40 on a rag to clean and PJ-1 usually does the trick every 400 miles or so! Give or take, depending on how beat I am from the ride.

Cleaning my chain is like,, well not really,, but it is like a religious experience!
super.gif

I'm at 18,000 miles on the stock chain and have had a replacement chain for nearly a year now...I keep checking my chain, keep it relatively clean and haven't seen any signs of wear...

(Cookie @ Jul. 02 2007,11:41)
(Charlesbusa @ Jul. 02 2007,11:24) I got over 30,000 miles out of mine.
WAY TO GO,,,,, GRANDPA!  
jump9.gif
Awww, come on now
poke.gif

I do a lot of trackdays. Maybe no stunting, but plenty of WOT.
race.gif

It all about keeping it clean, lubed, and properly adjusted
wink.gif

And I only weigh 185lbs with all my gear on
cool.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Jul. 02 2007,13:38)
(Cookie @ Jul. 02 2007,11:41)
(Charlesbusa @ Jul. 02 2007,11:24) I got over 30,000 miles out of mine.
WAY TO GO,,,,, GRANDPA!
jump9.gif
Awww, come on now
poke.gif

I do a lot of trackdays. Maybe no stunting, but plenty of WOT.
race.gif

It all about keeping it clean, lubed, and properly adjusted
wink.gif

And I only weigh 185lbs with all my gear on
cool.gif
You got a good head, Charles! I like that!
beerchug.gif

Back