CHain Life

Caperj

Registered
How many miles are you getting from the factory chain and sprocket I'm at 11,000 miles and just am wondering when to change out. Also what is a good chain sprocket combo.

Thanks everyone.

Count out 21 pins (20 pitches) on the chain and measure the distance between the two points If the distance exceeds the service limit, the chain must be replaced. Service Limit: 319.4mm (12.57in).

changed the stock chain and sprockets at 26,000 miles, i always lubed well, but still within limit.

thought it looked great , took chain off and had loads of sideways movement.

but the 18T Sprocket was hooked.

so if you lube your chain, recommend change >20,000 miles regardless of factory stretch

Changed chain and sprockets on my '08 at about 22,000 miles. Stock still looked good but I didn't want to chance it. Happy I made the change.

I changed mine out at around 12000 miles. I maintain my chain by cleaning and lubricating iton the avg of every 600 miles. The chain looked and felt like new. As one member stated, measure the pins and check the distance. Mine was over the max limit at 12K.
Called Justin and ordered a EK ZZZ chain.
My sprocket teeth were still in great shape.

If I remember correctly, I changed my chain at around 18K miles when I went to a smaller rear sprocket.

i changed mine at 10000 miles ,so did my mate on his busa,i think it all depends on how often you use launch control and how you look after the chain,in this country we got alot of **** on the roads .and that dont help

changed mine at 17k and put on a EK ZZZ got 35k out of it. NEVER put a new stock chain on. Its not worth the cost compared to a ZZZ

I'm at 24,000 miles and still on the stock chain. I lube it with Dupont lube and it seems good to go till 30,000. I will change it then no matter what. But, I don't ride hard and have never launched hard or done a burn out.

32K on the original parts and I could have put more on them. I've never measured for stretch, but typically I'll start getting a frozen link. I'm not a maintenance nut either and I ride hard at times.

Your chain will wear out when you wear it out sir.

32K on the original parts and I could have put more on them. I've never measured for stretch, but typically I'll start getting a frozen link. I'm not a maintenance nut either and I ride hard at times.

Your chain will wear out when you wear it out sir.

32K !? Wow DO3, that thing is gonna sap one of tese days and go through your case

32K !? Wow DO3, that thing is gonna sap one of tese days and go through your case
It was still in good shape and so were the sprockets, but I swapped them out over 6K miles ago, and only got 5K or so miles on the aluminum rear sprocket. Running steel back there now.

Count out 21 pins (20 pitches) on the chain and measure the distance between the two points If the distance exceeds the service limit, the chain must be replaced. Service Limit: 319.4mm (12.57in).

I adjusted my chains "slackness" from 33mm to 25mm (manual says it should be between 20 & 30, so I just put it at 25). However I measured my chain out as you described here, which also is in the manual. I measured about 12.5". I'm confused on the "service life" part of 319.4mm which is 12.57".

Is it saying that if the length is greater than 12.57" change the chain?

Also, have anybody measured the distance from stock. I didn't. What is the distance at stock? I have about 15,500 miles on my chain. It's always lubed, always clean & looks great. Just confused at the 12.57" recommendation.

Thx.

Supersprox & RK

Still going and going!

Order up, send it right out.

7499393474_f240891a13_o.jpg

7506552820_d5cff92a20_o.jpg

eSystem Chain oiler helps alot too with chain life. This is a long-distance travelin' machine.

6805339102_2758a8c258_o.jpg

I adjusted my chains "slackness" from 33mm to 25mm (manual says it should be between 20 & 30, so I just put it at 25). However I measured my chain out as you described here, which also is in the manual. I measured about 12.5". I'm confused on the "service life" part of 319.4mm which is 12.57".

Is it saying that if the length is greater than 12.57" change the chain?

Also, have anybody measured the distance from stock. I didn't. What is the distance at stock? I have about 15,500 miles on my chain. It's always lubed, always clean & looks great. Just confused at the 12.57" recommendation.

Thx.

Yes, if the measured distance is greater than 12.57", you're supposed to replace the chain. Unfortunately, I've never measured a new chain to compare it to a chain that needs replacing. 12.5" is 317.5mm, so your chain is still good.

I've just changed mine at 35,080 miles and it was still within spec replaced with a D.I.D 530 ZVM-X and carbon steel sprockets.

Thanks ATC'er for an answer to this Q. I'll monitored my length, as I monitor the slackness, & will replace according. My eye is set on a Chrome EK ZVX 530 next. I will replace the sprocket along with the chain too. Thx.

I have a long ways to go yet but I'm a big fan of Supersprox & RK as I've used in the past on other bikes. 20k mikes seems to be the norm / average. I'm easy going on equipment but it doesn't mean I won't do a swap out early though.

Always steel sprockets, never aluminum...........

Back