Chain - License Plate Mount Question

Eisenhonrne

Registered
I have a used 2006 Hayabusa which had a lot of customization. I am wanting to get the chain to proper tension and have a question about a part in the way. The license plate mount is blocking the marks I need to see for adjusting chain tension. The problem is I cannot see a way to get this thing off, its new to me and I cannot find any instructions online related to this type of license plate mount. Anyone know how to remove this or how I can get access to the chain tension marks? Thanks a lot!

1c.JPG

At a guess, looks like you'll need to remove the axel completly to remove the lic holder thingy .. And maybe get a factory set of adjuster blocks

Ah --the plate holder is the adjuster block. Yes, you would need to remove the axle nut and pull the axle out of the LH side but then you would need some kind of an adjuster block in place of the plare holder. You'd have to find somewhere else to mount you plate.

You could also buy a cheap digital calipers at Harbor Freight and measure the length of the axle adjuster bolts. Both sides should be the same length when the wheel is properly aligned. That would be more exact than eyeballing the marks on the OEM adjuster blocks and the swing arm.

Look at that hack job. Do you have pride in your ride?
Tear that fuggin' thing off and throw it in the nearest dumpster.
get a properly fitting mount that allows proper adjustment. You should not have to pull the axle in order to set chain slack and line it up. Its tuff enuff to do without a tag mount on there. We all know that sometimes upon tightening the axle bolt it changes the adjustment you just worked hard to set.With that piece of krap on there....I dunno.Just me,sorry.
Rubb.

You keep your axle nut on the RH side and tightening probably won't change the adjustment. You are pushing the axle block forward against the adjuster bolt. Axle nu on LH side and you are pulling the axle away from the adjuster bolt. That will misalign the rear wheel.

Thanks for the information. Since everyone has identified the axle must come out then I will try to stick with this part. Here is what I plan to do and please let me know what you think. I plan to loosen the tension nuts, adjust the chain tension then use this tool for alignment ( Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool ).

What do you think?

Bike had a lot of customization when I bought it, have found some crazy stuff I needed to remove and this license plate bracket is just another surprise but wow has this forum been awesome, thanks everyone!

1d.JPG

Thanks for the information. Since everyone has identified the axle must come out then I will try to stick with this part. Here is what I plan to do and please let me know what you think. I plan to loosen the tension nuts, adjust the chain tension then use this tool for alignment ( Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool ).

What do you think?

Bike had a lot of customization when I bought it, have found some crazy stuff I needed to remove and this license plate bracket is just another surprise but wow has this forum been awesome, thanks everyone!

View attachment 1618914
Ive used those alignment tools and they work pretty well, without getting rid of that bracket that's gonna be your best bet.

What do you think?

View attachment 1618914
Good deal Eisen,thats what WE do. tool looks good. I've always thought of adding one of them laser sighters to the toolbox.
Ive used those alignment tools and they work pretty well, without getting rid of that bracket that's gonna be your best bet.
..."without getting rid of that bracket"...

Rubb.

I plan to loosen the tension nuts, adjust the chain tension then use this tool for alignment ( Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool ).

What do you think?

I hear those work well. I don't think it's going to be a whole lot better than using the marks on teh swingarm, if you're off by a couple degrees, you won't be able to tell with that short of a rod. It's an affordable, easy to use confirmation that the chain is reasonably well aligned though.

Good deal Eisen,thats what WE do. tool looks good. I've always thought of adding one of them laser sighters to the toolbox.
I was considering a laser tool too. Then I got to thinking, The laser beam is probably close to a 16th inch wide. Will I really be able to tell if my wheel is aligned perfectly with that large of a margin of error? I'd have to try it.

One of those adjustment checkers that sticks in the swingarm pivot and engine mount seems like it should be most accurate but what if those hole are not perfectly perpendicular to the chain? They don't necessarily have to be. Also, the holes the cones stick in are not the same diameter on both sides I don't think. We were just talking about this. I'll se if I can find that thread.

There's a few wheel alignment tools talked about here:

I don't think any one of them can guarantee perfect alignment but it's a way to check. The laser is the most direct way to do it so I'd think that most reliable. If you take the sprocket cover off to view the laser dot on the frontmost roller up close and compare to the rearmost roller the laser touches, I'd think you'd get as close as one can get. I'd prefer that laser beam be very narrow for acuracy but I don't know if it is.

I have had very good luck by doing the following:

1) Loosen axle nut.

2) Loosen adjuster bolts and draw locknuts up to bolt head.

3) Tighten adjuster bolts with locknuts drawn up to head all the way in forward. Max loose adjustment on both sides, both sides are exactly at the "zero mark."

4) Use a Sharpie or paint to mark one flat on each adjuster bolt. Use this mark on both sides to count the number of turns you put on both adjuster bolts so that the adjuster bolts both extend the same distance.

5) Bump the axle forward so the adjuster blocks are tight to the adjuster bolts.

The final adjustment, you will count how many flats you turn. As long as the same number of flats are turned counterclockwise, the bolts will be extended the same length and the sprockets will be aligned. If you need to loosen, again count one flat at a time and do the same on both sides.

6) Tighten adjuster bolt locknuts. Tighten axle with axle nut on the RH side lifting the wrench handle forward to press axle adjuster blocks against adjuster bolts.

7) Check chain slack.

When you adjust the chain in the future, one flat on each side will be plenty. You might even go only a half a flat to achieve proper chain slack. You can rely on this method when the adjusters are between increment marks. Just make sure you turn the adjuster bolt the EXACT same amount on both sides. As you approach the swing arm mark after many adjustments, you'll see that both adjuster blocks are even. Use a Sharpie to mark the flat every time you adjust the chain.

It worked on my ZX-14. Wear on both sides of the sprocket was almost perfectly even. This takes a lot of careful work initially but if you get it right, it works. If you lose count on one side, you just have to start over. I don't see why a digital calipers couldn't be used to check equal adjuster bolt length on both sides. I'm hands on so I did it the caveman way.

Some people claim the swingarm marks do not correspond to perfect axle alignment. Seems to have worked for me and does seem to correspond to the adjuster bolts being turned the same number of rotations on both sides. I'd still like a tool to check these against...just to complicate the whole matter, so I need to second guess myself! :laugh:

Last edited:
Another bit of advice, the chain tightens up when you torque the axle because the swigarm legs flex in and extend the wheelbase a bit. Putting the rear wheel back on the ground will also cause the chain to tighten because now the rear suspension will be compressed. Both of these together will reduce your chain slack by about a half inch total fro what it was when you adjusted the chain. If you must, loosen up the axle and adjust the chain again. You are much better off to run with the chain on the loose side than you are to run with it too tight. My chain rests on the swingarm chain guide with the rear wheel on the ground and no additional weight on the suspension when properly adjusted. When I sit on the bike, the chain tightens up some of course. If your chain is off the chain guide after you adjusted it, I think it's too tight.

Back