Chain length question??

lil charlie

Registered
I put a gold Supersprox 47 tooth sprocket that I got from Pashnit on my Gen II but the stock chain is too tight. The axel is all the way forward and I only have ¼â€™â€™ of down travel and ¼â€™â€™ of up travel. That’s on the stand too; I don’t even know how tight it would get with my fat butt on it (probably just snap)! I didn’t buy a chain when I got the sprocket because I found a thread on here that said you could go as much as +1/+5 and still use the stock chain…..wrong! FYI +3 is the biggest you can go. Anyways, on to my question. Justin from Honda East is sending on my new chain today and I don’t know how short I should cut it. The stock chain for a Gen II is 114 links, my new chain is 120 links. I’m sure that’s way too big. How long do you think I should make it? +1 link would most likely just make the adjustment be where it should be but the axel would still be all the way forward. +2 links would let the chain move back a little but would it be enough? Do you think +3 links would do the trick? I don’t want it to be too long but I don’t want to have to put it all together 2 or 3 times before I find the correct length.

at the bottom u see Chain geometry changes due to sprocket & chain changes

thats the necessary info. very handy tool.

I got a 40 Tooth rear that I haven't installed... I'm looking to go with a 19 front as well.

I just messed around with it. Looks like +2 for you... someone else chime in here to make sure I'm not giving him wrong info! :laugh:

Position the axle to it's mid-position (OEM spec position) in the swing arm. Slightly tighten the nut so it won't move. Run the new chain up and onto both sprockets, bringing the chain together over the rear sprocket. Here you can then see how many links you will need to remove. I'm guessing only 2-3 links.

P.

Position the axle to it's mid-position (OEM spec position) in the swing arm. Slightly tighten the nut so it won't move. Run the new chain up and onto both sprockets, bringing the chain together over the rear sprocket. Here you can then see how many links you will need to remove. I'm guessing only 2-3 links.

P.

2 to 3 is what I was guessing too.

According to the site.. it says to always have even number links. Not sure why.. But that puts you at exactly 116 links. I think ur safe bro.
:beerchug:

Every 2 links you add will add .625" or 15.875mm to your chain length. Reason for adding even number links is because chains alternate bushing then outer link showing so there is no way to have a odd number length chain and still have two bushing link ends to be joined by a master link.
Posted via Mobile Device

+2 links is what you need. A 46T rear is the biggest rear that will fit the stock chain with room for adjustment...there's some now useless info for ya:poke::laugh:

With 18/47 sprocket set up...you need 116 links. I ran that set up for almost 100k!

And it is actually "pins" one link has 2 pins...116 pins and that is WITH the master link included.
Posted via Mobile Device

With 18/47 sprocket set up...you need 116 links. I ran that set up for almost 100k!

And it is actually "pins" one link has 2 pins...116 pins and that is WITH the master link included.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good to know, thanks guys. BA Busa...how did you like that set up. I have never changed out sprockets before so Im excited to see the difference. I wanted a +3 sprocket but it wasn't in stock and with a 12 week lead time I had a +2 and a +4 to pick from. I figured go big or go home :rofl:

I loved it...great drive out of the corners and about 47 mpg on the hwy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back