chain broke..help

BusaBabe30

Registered
my chain brojke yesterday taking off in 2nd gear..snapped...had to wheel my bike to gf's house..where can i buy one of these things/cost? and is it easy to fix or do i gotta get it fixed somewhere professionally? thanks guys

If you have never done it nor have the tools, take it somewhere. You need a chain rivot tool to install the master link.
Posted via Mobile Device

will they supply the chain and other peices if any i may need or do i got to buy them from somewhere? do u know how much the job might cost?

Any dealer probably has a 530 chain, master links, and the tools to do the job. As far as how much I guess it depends on the chain. Service time should be a max of .5 hrs. The other option is to pickup a chain and master link yourself and have someone instal it who has the right tools. It's not a difficult job.

Was there any damage caused by the snapped chain?

no damage..just got a quote from repair shop the one i always go to..185 parts and installation for stock chain...he said i might need new sprockets do you guys think so..i am really tight with money

i maintaned it really well...i think it was just past its time maybe...it snapped when i took off full throttle pretty much

I got over 20,000 miles out of the stock chain. Yours wasn't just past its time. You need to find out why it broke, or you'll break the new one at some point as well. "i maintaned it really well" is very subjective. Are you adjusting it too tight or too loose? Are you using the wrong solvents on it when cleaning? What are your cleaning and lube intervals? etc.

2nd gear stand still high rpm launches sure isn't good for any chain...

185 doesn't sound to bad. You can check the sprockets yourself for any damage. Also check them for wear. It may be time for them to be replaced as well.

I would go ahead and get new sprockets as well. Some say it helps with proper wear.

no damage..just got a quote from repair shop the one i always go to..185 parts and installation for stock chain...he said i might need new sprockets do you guys think so..i am really tight with money

185 for parts and labor is a really good price. . . Replace the sprockets at the same time. You don't want a new chain on old sprockets because the wear pattern will be different. They need to wear evenly (at the same time) or you'll shorten the life of both.

I got over 20,000 miles out of the stock chain. Yours wasn't just past its time. You need to find out why it broke, or you'll break the new one at some point as well. "i maintaned it really well" is very subjective. Are you adjusting it too tight or too loose? Are you using the wrong solvents on it when cleaning? What are your cleaning and lube intervals? etc.

+1 on this. I replaced mine at 20,000 miles cause a few links were starting to get stiff. If it was maintained properly it shouldn't have broken unless there was something else wrong with it. You should have .8-1.2 inches of up/down play in the center. Clean it with either kerosene (per shop manual) or brake clean. Don't use gasoline or carb cleaner on it as they will damage the O-rings. Brake clean and kerosene won't. It should at least be lubed every 600 miles, but it's a lot better for it if you clean and lube it.

I really have to say I believe I am the special case here. I never cleaned, lubed, adjusted my chain for the first 12k miles. Minus when I got the rear tire changed at 8k. I was neglectful, but I still have my stock chain and I got 24k on it now. But I am def changing it now. Just got my new chain in from Ball Z Motorsports. Killer deal! I recommend getting one from them.

The life of a chain itself is a very open and subjective thing.
Run it hard, launch it, pop wheelies, drag racing can all wind up shortening the life or mileage you will get as compared to just riding around cruising with occasional throttle. ???

Agreed you need to try to find out why it snapped.
Agreed you should think about replacing sprockets as well cuz if the teeth are worn down a bit and you put a new chain on the new chain will in short order wear itself into the worn sprocket teeth possibly shortening the life of your new chain.

I just bought a EK ZVX2 530 from Josh @ Ball Z $155 bucks. Better/ Stronger than stock.

yeah i am planning on getting the kit new chain and new sprockets...just trying to figure out the best one that works best..i ran that bike hard..i admit it...i plan on taking better care of the next one and taking it a bit more easy

The life of a chain itself is a very open and subjective thing.
Run it hard, launch it, pop wheelies, drag racing can all wind up shortening the life or mileage you will get as compared to just riding around cruising with occasional throttle. ???

Agreed you need to try to find out why it snapped.
Agreed you should think about replacing sprockets as well cuz if the teeth are worn down a bit and you put a new chain on the new chain will in short order wear itself into the worn sprocket teeth possibly shortening the life of your new chain.

I'm not exactly gentle with my bike.

I'm not exactly gentle with my bike.

Wasn't trying to say you were ?
Just pointing out that there is no exact formula for figuring out when you should change your chain or how to know when it's life is done .
I put 27,000 hard miles on original chain on my 97 Zx11 before both of us got run over .

Back