chain and sprokets life span

bone

Registered
i have 7000 miles on the stock chain and sprockets. everything looks good, no broken teeth, and chain is still tight with only 3 adjustments. should i change them out? or just ride till i run out of adjustment. i've seen post where teeth are broken and chains are stretched etc... and i'm wondering if i'm not riding hard enough to wear them out or what?

on the way to work today i hit 170 indicated on speedo, then in the back of my mind i was thinking this chain has been some miles and i'd hate to have it brake at that kind of speed.

thanks for any info.

bone

Riding hard and abuse are two different things. I imagine the Busa is designed for hard riding and a little abuse.
beerchug.gif

I got more than 30,000 miles out of my stocker chain, but I took good care of it.

I don't abuse it, but I do ride aggressive.

Out of rear, front sprokets and chain. The 1st to go was the front sproket. Just check up on it from time to time. Look for teeth bent in the direction of rotation and needle point teeth.

Hummmmmm
wink.gif
, I generally get 14,000 to 17,000 on both chain and sprockets  
SHOCKED.gif

I got 19K out of the stocker. Ride in any weather. Libe every 500 miles. Clean with kerosene every 1000.

My sprockets still look great. I got about 7500 miles and about 100 passes at the drag strip out of my chain before it started waving the white flag.

24500 on stock chain , still lookin good ! i wouldnt say ive taken care of it ? do lube it just not regularly. and i beat on it a bit ! i do ride everyday so it realy never gets a chance to sit around and rust , i am debating on which way to go for replacement , hard to not go with a stocker when it has already proven itself to me ?

thanks guys, i just read a few post on chain and sproket failures and was alittle worried. but with your responses, i'm good to go. i guess i'll go lube the chain and put some more miles on the machine.

thanks for the replys.

bone

Back