Chain and Sprocket conversion

NTFalcons25

Registered
I'm thinking about doing a 520 conversion with a DID ERV3 race chain and going up a couple of teeth in the rear to a 45. Anyone have any experience doing this? I might even just leave the stock chain and front sprocket and just put a lighter steel Vortex 45t on the rear. I don't care about losing any top speed because I'm flashing the ECU, but just want a little more "wheelie power". Thoughts?

Also....forgot to ask. If I go up two in the rear, using stock chain, will I have enough chain adjustment to accommodate for it??

I'm thinking about doing a 520 conversion with a DID ERV3 race chain and going up a couple of teeth in the rear to a 45. Anyone have any experience doing this? I might even just leave the stock chain and front sprocket and just put a lighter steel Vortex 45t on the rear. I don't care about losing any top speed because I'm flashing the ECU, but just want a little more "wheelie power". Thoughts?
Well you'll definately get more wheelie power,plus a drop in MPG,an' incorrect speedo reading,etc.

RSD.

A 520 chain isn't a good idea.
The very small gain in hp it may make, you will never feel or notice.
What you will have is a chain that isn't as strong as the stock one.
There's a reason there's a 530 on the Busa.
Can you get away with running a 520? Yes.
For how long? Who knows.
You're not going to gain any "wheelie power" from it.
The +2 rear sprocket will make the bike a little more wheelie prone, and a +3 even more so.
The +3 rear, and/or -1 front will both fit the stock length chain.
If you have a gen2 and are flashing the restrictions off, the bike is also going to be a lot more wheelie prone.
Just flash it and add the +3 rear, it'll be the perfect wheelie bike.
I've tried many combos on the Busa, and that is the best.
The Busa will wheelie for miles(literally)bone stock, it's skill level, not bike setup, but the flashed/+3 rear setup makes it a lot more fun.
Can you ride a wheelie, controlled and long distance, or just power it up for a few seconds under hard throttle?
The flashed/+3 rear will make it easier to learn.

Going up two in the rear with give you more wheelie potential for sure and it should work with a stock chain once it has stretched some. Get a speedo healer to get speedometer accurate like I did.

After researching the ERV3, it's supposed to be stronger than a stock 530, hence, that's what a ton of racers are using and their bikes are pushing over 200rwhp. I'm sure I won't "notice" a difference in HP gains, but any little bit helps. All about power/weight ratio and less reciprocating mass. As far as wheelies, you're right....it'll wheelie no problem in 1st and 2nd, but I come from GSXR1000's and am used to that 3rd gear power wheelie. The big Busa won't even think about doing it in 3rd. So I'm trying to lighten it up and add power everywhere I can. I just bought a full system yoshimura R77 exhaust, k&n air filter, and like I said, having the ECU flashed. So that, along with a bigger rear sprocket might make all the difference in the world!

After researching the ERV3, it's supposed to be stronger than a stock 530, hence, that's what a ton of racers are using and their bikes are pushing over 200rwhp. I'm sure I won't "notice" a difference in HP gains, but any little bit helps. All about power/weight ratio and less reciprocating mass. As far as wheelies, you're right....it'll wheelie no problem in 1st and 2nd, but I come from GSXR1000's and am used to that 3rd gear power wheelie. The big Busa won't even think about doing it in 3rd. So I'm trying to lighten it up and add power everywhere I can. I just bought a full system yoshimura R77 exhaust, k&n air filter, and like I said, having the ECU flashed. So that, along with a bigger rear sprocket might make all the difference in the world!

Dude, are you out of your mind? :poke:

Racers also replace chains very often sometimes after every race. No way in heck you'd catch me with a ERV3 520 on a BUSA let alone a street bike.

Chain Weight Tensile Strength Max cc.
DID ERV3 520 4lbs 3.3oz 8,660 750cc
RK GXW 520 4lbs 8.8oz 8,800 1000cc
EK MVXZ 520 4lbs 15.4oz 9,000 1000cc
EK ZZZ 520 5lbs 9,400 1000cc
EK MVXZ 530 5lbs 7.6oz 9,900 1000cc
DID ZVMX 530 6lbs 1.3oz 10,408 1400cc
EK ZZZ 530 6lb 11,400 1100+cc

Stick to the 530 and I'd recommend the 530 ZZZ....unless you plan on replacing your engine once the chain snaps and takes out the cases... :banghead:

If you want power wheelies, get lighter wheels or add more power. :whistle:

I have no trouble doing 3rd and 4th gear wheelies at 140mph+... :laugh:

The Busa WILL wheelie 3rd no problem...and bone stock.
<-----See

There's absolutely no way ever you're doing 4th gear wheelies unless your bike has a turbo or nitrous or some very radical gearing....ever. 2nd: I've been running 520 ERV2 and 3 chains on my last few GSXR1000's and have never had any issues whatsoever, as well as other friends on ZX10's and R1's. I have a friend who owns the Suzuki dealership where I'm from who raced WERA for 10 years who also runs DID ERV chains on his personal 1000. Bigger doesn't mean stronger. And yes, racers replace chains and tons of other things after a race that the street rider doesn't. That's irrelevant.

There's absolutely no way ever you're doing 4th gear wheelies unless your bike has a turbo or nitrous or some very radical gearing....ever. 2nd: I've been running 520 ERV2 and 3 chains on my last few GSXR1000's and have never had any issues whatsoever, as well as other friends on ZX10's and R1's. I have a friend who owns the Suzuki dealership where I'm from who raced WERA for 10 years who also runs DID ERV chains on his personal 1000. Bigger doesn't mean stronger. And yes, racers replace chains and tons of other things after a race that the street rider doesn't. That's irrelevant.

Those 1000s don't have the hp, torque, or weight of a Busa.
Got-Busa does have a turbo.
My Busa had a full Akropovic, ecu flash, and +3 rear sprocket.
In 4th gear at over 100mph(gps accurate by Speedohealer) I could close the throttle, snap it wide open and bounce the front, it would power wheelie up over 1 ft, and hold for 3 or 4 seconds.
Otherwise I could clutch it up in 4th at highway speeds and take it for as long as I liked...Seriously.
I tend to prefer 2nd and 3rd for high speed wheelies, but depended on circumstances, and just to show it could be done.

A 1000 race bike with a 520 vs a street ridden Busa with a 520 is a BIG difference.:beerchug:

1ft is different....I'm talking about a wheelie like in your profile pic. And if you've done all the stuff to it then yes 3rd gear wheelies are for sure possible. I'm doing the same thing but only going up 2 teeth. I can crest a hill at higher speeds and get a 3rd and 4th wheelie but its just small. As far as the chain, that's why I started this thread, to see if anyone has converted to a 520.

For street use I'd never go to a 520 chain due to longivity. You will only get about half the life of the bigger, heavier 530. The gain is small which you would never notice unless you are racing. However, if you choose to run a 520 chain/sprockets your worries are not substantiated with facts. I see lots of 200+ HP bikes running 520 chain without issues. Yet to see a failure.

1ft is different....I'm talking about a wheelie like in your profile pic. And if you've done all the stuff to it then yes 3rd gear wheelies are for sure possible. I'm doing the same thing but only going up 2 teeth. I can crest a hill at higher speeds and get a 3rd and 4th wheelie but its just small. As far as the chain, that's why I started this thread, to see if anyone has converted to a 520.

I was talking about both.
1 ft power wheelies in 4th with ecu flash, full exhaust, and +3 rear.
1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear wheelies, standups, long distance, all speeds up to 120ish, and seated past 140's on rare occasion...all bone stock.
The wheelie pic in my profile is me, on my then stock Busa.:beerchug:

Those bikes also don't make 100-105tq at the wheel stock let alone modded and 115tq+ with basic bolt-on's. Not to mention all the extra weight, back torque limiter, etc...etc.. that the BUSA has.

If you want to put one on by all means, go for it! I'm just trying to save you some trouble...

I don't know why you even asked if you've got it all figured out. Obviously your friend knows way more than anyone on here and wear and tear is irrelevant to you so JUST DO IT already... :beerchug:

Ask the guys for advice who have been around Busa's for 10+ years.

Then tell them they are wrong.???

Good luck with your next fact finding mission.:laugh:

RSD.

Back