chain adjuster bolt hole stripped..

Nicholas

Registered
this used swingarm i bought few months ago the left chain adjuster bolt hole is stripped.... what would be the best way to either fix or get around this problem??..been trying to find anything that can be used or something but no one has been able to help me in anyway:please:

Without looking at it first, I'd guess a heli coil would do the trick. Take your bolt down to the local HW store (even Advance Auto sells some of them). Tap it out to the drill bit size on the package, and screw in the coil.

They're really not difficult to install (as long as you don't grab the incorrect size bit like I did once and have to fix it again)

Without looking at it first, I'd guess a heli coil would do the trick. Take your bolt down to the local HW store (even Advance Auto sells some of them). Tap it out to the drill bit size on the package, and screw in the coil.

They're really not difficult to install (as long as you don't grab the incorrect size bit like I did once and have to fix it again)

at the moment i have a rethreading head broke off into the hole.. im sure imma mess &^*%^ up while i try to take it out... sigh i think im just gonna have to take it to a machine shop and see what they can do.. but if there is like a giles or something that can just be put in the slot or something

Every now and then you can get lucky with a back out bit...those threading heads are tough and a little harder to drill into.

I'd try that first because you might be hard pressed to find a machine shop that won't initially want you to take the swing arm off unless they try this method first.

I've been somewhat lucky in the past, but takes some work...

the bit that i have is just drilling through it.. not grabbing it, but imma go to sears and get their other back-out kit they have.. but im trying to prepare myself for the worse case if i cant get it out

Yea, I would try an easy-out, or something similar. It's like a reversed threaded drill bit. When you drill it, it'll start to back out. Then if the threads are salvageable, I would take a tap and die set and clean up the existing threads. If they're not salvageable, I'd take the tap and die set and tread it open to a larger size bolt and just use that as the new chain adjusting bolt.

Yea, I would try an easy-out, or something similar. It's like a reversed threaded drill bit. When you drill it, it'll start to back out. Then if the threads are salvageable, I would take a tap and die set and clean up the existing threads. If they're not salvageable, I'd take the tap and die set and tread it open to a larger size bolt and just use that as the new chain adjusting bolt.
yea i was gonna do that if i can get this rethreading head out...

yes go with the gills set..your stands will like it much better to.since once you strectch it the stands often dont reach the old spool locations anyway

1-KTS_400x300.jpg

Back