Centrifugal Auto Clutch

It's an interesting concept, but I wonder if it would actually be useful outside of racing. Not that you are gonna shred up a track on a Busa anyways haha.

It's an interesting concept, but I wonder if it would actually be useful outside of racing. Not that you are gonna shred up a track on a Busa anyways haha.
Not sure if it has been proven inside of racing.Twisting the throttle is no where near as fast as dumping the clutch.Also,how would one raise the RPM's for launch with a centrifugal clutch? I would guess it would be hard to time the Christmas tree to the twisting of one's throttle as opposed to the dumping of the clutch.But,
do I know.:laugh:

I have ridden 2 styles of bikes with the Rekluse clutch.One an enduro bike,the other a trials bike. (note* not trail bike,trials bike). Fine for the enduro bike but clutch control is the heart and soul of trials riding.It is not just a stop and go sport.
Who's know's...
Rubb.

Not sure if it has been proven inside of racing.Twisting the throttle is no where near as fast as dumping the clutch.Also,how would one raise the RPM's for launch with a centrifugal clutch? I would guess it would be hard to time the Christmas tree to the twisting of one's throttle as opposed to the dumping of the clutch.But,View attachment 1621201 do I know.:laugh:

I have ridden 2 styles of bikes with the Rekluse clutch.One an enduro bike,the other a trials bike. (note* not trail bike,trials bike). Fine for the enduro bike but clutch control is the heart and soul of trials riding.It is not just a stop and go sport.
Who's know's...
Rubb.
View attachment 1621202

Hmm you do have a point of throttle at launch. How did you find the clutch engagement on the one you rode? Does it lock hard as it activates or is it a more gradual engagement . Apparently you don't use the clutch anymore just shift and revs. What ya think of a Hayabusa using one of these clutches for street and canyon riding? I freak out thinking of possible damage to the gears.

Hmm you do have a point of throttle at launch. How did you find the clutch engagement on the one you rode? Does it lock hard as it activates or is it a more gradual engagement . Apparently you don't use the clutch anymore just shift and revs. What ya think of a Hayabusa using one of these clutches for street and canyon riding? I freak out thinking of possible damage to the gears.
It was a smooth transition,didn't lock hard on either bike.
I'm always hesitant of new tech. I don't trust ABS. Don't have it. :D
Only once did I buy the first year of a bike. 1985 Suzuki Intruder.
Let someone else be the giunee pig.:thumbsup:
Some body will try it on a Busa I'm sure.
Rubb.

I don't see the need for this clutch on a street bike. The advantage is you don't have to feather the clutch in 1st gear but how often do you really do that? Just on take off or moving very slowly. A motocross bike riding in a lot of conditions needs that, but not a street bike. With this clutch you can come to a stop without pulling the lever. It isn't that hard to pull the lever. I don't see this as a racing clutch unless you consider bike rodeos to be racing.

I don't see the need for this clutch on a street bike. The advantage is you don't have to feather the clutch in 1st gear but how often do you really do that? Just on take off or moving very slowly. A motocross bike riding in a lot of conditions needs that, but not a street bike. With this clutch you can come to a stop without pulling the lever. It isn't that hard to pull the lever. I don't see this as a racing clutch unless you consider bike rodeos to be racing.
Do you not think it would function as a hand slider? That's what I was wondering, it's way cheaper...

Any experience with them?
Not those. Actual slider clutches yes.

The problem I see with these on a street bike is you have to set the stall speed so when you click it in to gear without the clutch that the bike doesn’t try to lurch forward and try to move when at idle without the brakes on.

I would suspect you would adjust the stall that it starts to move 2-300rpm over idle, and fully engaged by another 500 rpm.

So if the bike idles at 1300rpm, it will be fully locked by 2-2100rpm. Everything in between idle and 2100rpm the clutch is slipping.

Think about riding that in stop and go traffic. Or slow speed through a parking lot. Alls you’re doing is slipping the clutch, and burning it up.

The reason why those clutches work good on dirt bikes is because you’re either wfo, or off the throttle.

Not those. Actual slider clutches yes.

The problem I see with these on a street bike is you have to set the stall speed so when you click it in to gear without the clutch that the bike doesn’t try to lurch forward and try to move when at idle without the brakes on.

I would suspect you would adjust the stall that it starts to move 2-300rpm over idle, and fully engaged by another 500 rpm.

So if the bike idles at 1300rpm, it will be fully locked by 2-2100rpm. Everything in between idle and 2100rpm the clutch is slipping.

Think about riding that in stop and go traffic. Or slow speed through a parking lot. Alls you’re doing is slipping the clutch, and burning it up.

The reason why those clutches work good on dirt bikes is because you’re either wfo, or off the throttle.
I don't know that you would have to adjust to keep the bike from lurching forward at idle in a racing situation. A hand slider has static pressure and will kill the motor if you put it in gear without the clutch lever. Full slider different story. The reasons I wouldn't try one in place of a drag racing hand slider or full slider are:
1. I don't see that the full engagement curve is adjustable. With a hand/slider there are endless combinations of springs and weights. A turbo curve is way different from a nitrous curve. Who knows what curve this thing has, especially given that it is designed as a street clutch.
2. A big advantage to a hand/slider is the ultimate clamping force is much greater than stock so when running a lot of HP the clutch is still manageable without excessive static pressure. I don't see any way this thing will generate sufficient dynamic force to be useful with significantly increased HP levels.
3. The steels and fibers appear to be proprietary, and quite expensive compared to regular stock style components.
4. I've seen them fail on a 50 hp motocross bike, with the pucks coming off the expanding ring. Not sure that bodes well for much higher Busa power.

After all those negatives, I will say that in their intended application, street riding, it would be better than a slider or hand slider because at moderate rpm's it won't slip when you open the throttle.

Back