centerstand vs quick stand

adm.nelson

Registered
This is my first post
newbie.gif
, and I just bought a new 2007 Busa
super.gif
, my previous ride was a 1994 Honda VFR750. I had a centerstand on the VFR, and used it a LOT! My question is this: Is it easy to put one on the Busa? I had thought about the "quick stand" but since I will be puting up the rear wheel a lot, mainly to lubricate the chain, would the quick stand be a better investment over the long haul?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
cheers,
Tony

Center stand is not all that hard to install on the hayabusa, however, it does require permanent removal of the belly fairing. if this doesn't bother you, have at it! personally, I'll use my stands if i need it up off the kickstand.

I have front and rear stands for my garage maintenance but for touring I use the Quick Stand. Works GREAT!

wink.gif
I kinda wondered about the belly pan. Maybe not a big deal, will have to think about that. Thanks for the info.

As for a rear stand, I am not sure how they work, but my assumption would be that the bike would have to be vertical to put one on, not while it is on the center stand. Is this right?

thanks for your replies.
Tony

Yes, I use a common rust colored house building brick under the side stand but a 2x4 will raise it almost as upright.  With the rear seat on, I hold onto the rail but if the hump is on, I remove it and hold onto the brace just inside.  Don't want it falling over to the right.  Of course you'll need spools for the stand, only a right side spool for the Q stand but I guess they come in pairs.  Does SuzukiInc. still want around two Benjamins for their center stand?

I read that they removed the mounting points on the 08 for the centerstand...haven't seen one up close to know if its true or not.

I've been using a center stand for quite some time. Didn't even take it off for my track day. Sure makes it nice for maintenance on the chain, et al.

--Wag--

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/home.php

this is one link I found that has it for $102. (Center Stand GSX1300 #16726), another site has same price too. Is this a Suzuki brand, or one made for the Busa?
I also saw the Pit Bull rear stands, they say "No more need to balance the bike by the tail section ,while installing the stand". So how does that work I wonder, I think I will email them and find out.
Tony

I emailed the Pit Bull people, and they said this: "The center stand is actually considered a hazard since it can limit cornering clearance and potentially impale the rider in a crash. You do have to balance the bike to use the stand properly but it is really easy. We recommend you use a spotter the first time or two, then you will be confident enough to do it on your own. "
wow.gif

So I would think it might be a hazard in extreme cornering, but for general usage
rock.gif
, I'll never see a full lean on my bike.

(adm.nelson @ Oct. 02 2007,14:17) I emailed the Pit Bull people, and they said this: "The center stand is actually considered a hazard since it can limit cornering clearance and potentially impale the rider in a crash.  You do have to balance the bike to use the stand properly but it is really easy.  We recommend you use a spotter the first time or two, then you will be confident enough to do it on your own. "  
wow.gif

So I would think it might be a hazard in extreme cornering, but for general usage
rock.gif
, I'll never see a full lean on my bike.
If want the center stand, go for it. I plan to get a redline or pitbull in the near future. Come on Christmas! Anyway, welcome to the board, see your in T-town, I am not far, Broken Arrow.  
beerchug.gif
Oh, and because you are a fellow Okie, I will suggest you post up some pics before you are called upon.
laugh.gif

OK twotone, here is one, at least I hope it comes up. I also posted a couple in the gallery under my name.

Tony

dscn3660-jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
(adm.nelson @ Oct. 02 2007,15:17) I emailed the Pit Bull people, and they said this: "The center stand is actually considered a hazard since it can limit cornering clearance and potentially impale the rider in a crash."
Oh, baloney. Well, it can limit your lean angle but if you put a 1" dogbone lift in the back, you can eliminate this problem.

I suppose the centerstand could be an impalement hazard, just like the handlebars, the footpegs, the clutch lever and both brake levers and am I forgetting anything? Oh, yeah, the stock side stand!!!

Talk about using scare tactics.

Nothing wrong with a centerstand except that it's heavy.

--Wag--

Don't forget the mufflers, and yes, I think he was just using scare tactics to sell his own product. But at least the weight is low down and not on top.
Tony

(adm.nelson @ Oct. 01 2007,16:45) I will be puting up the rear wheel a lot, mainly to lubricate the chain, would the quick stand be a better investment over the long haul?
I have both the Pitbull and the center stand. The Pitbull requires spools. Cost for either solution is comparable.

I recommend the Pitbulls - both front and rear - for general access to the bike.

The centerstand is a nice-to-have feature, and may help in places where the sidestand is not secure (on a hill, soft ground, etc).

I find the centerstand hard to use. The bike sits quite high on the centerstand and it takes considerable effort to put the bike on it. (I had the dealer install it for me).

Because I also have the Corbin beetlebags, the side hand-grip is not accessible. As a result, I have to ask someone to help me with the centerstand whenever I want to use it.

I don't think cornering ability is really affected - see the third and fourth picture, the center stand is very much tucked away when not in use.

centerstand_small2.jpg

centerstand_small.jpg

centerstand_small3.jpg

centerstand_small4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice looking bike. You have kept it well. I had considered some Corbin bags, just too much for me right now. They do look nice though. The pictures show a lot, and your thoughts are much appreciated. Thank you for posting. I think I am going to get the center stand, and maybe later a set of rear wheel stands. The one you show looks easier to use.
Thanks again,
Tony

Back