CenterStand Bank Sensor Bolts

Tetge

Registered
The Suzuki dealer received my center stand and I just read the instructions. But, the replacement bank sensor bolts seem quite a bit longer than the OEM ones. Any tricks to tucking the center stand up better when installing it? After reading the instructions I do not want to take it on and off the bike anymore than necessary. And, does it really impact the lean angle a lot? I am not going to lower my bike and I ride solo. But, I have no idea how much politically correctness Suzuki puts into the bank sensor bolts. The bike will not see any track days but I do ride in the mountains at times.

banksensorbolts.jpg

Here's the funny part. The lean sensor I took off and compared was the left side one. The OEM one on the right side of the bike is much shorter than the one on the left side for what ever reason (the side stand perhaps). So apparently Suzuki is saying that you can lean more to the right than to the left. But the pieces that come with the centerstand are both identically long.
The centerstand is now on the bike and it took two of us 3 hours to do the job. We both worked on the task and we took no breaks. Funny, it says 1.5 hours on the instructions, but, I guess you get faster at removing everything off the bike after you do it a few times. I had the entire exhaust down on the floor so I could have swapped to a full aftermarket exhaust. And the centerstand springs are really hard to attach.
Now all that remains is to hit the canyons and see how badly it scrapes with a centerstand. It sure looks nice parked up on its stand in my garage. And, even if it scrapes I am in no hurry to take it back off. At least it fits perfectly and there are no issues with the design or fit.

I've had a centerstand on mine virtually since new and I haven't grounded it yet.

The sensors with the centerstand I got were of unequal lengths. The left-hand sensor is longer for the centerstand because of the stand's foot-lever that protrudes on that side. Both sensors are longer because the stand reduces ground clearance a little when the bike is leaned over.

I fitted mine on my own and it took me about an hour thanks to some advice from a mechanic. You don't have to remove the headers/drop the exhaust. By removing the left and right fairings, the mufflers and the bolt that attaches the headers/downpipes underneath the engine, it's possible to use a pry bar to lever the pipes down just far enough to get the centerstand bolt through the mounting holes. It took me a few attempts at getting the springs on, I used a screwdriver for leverage.

I did some serious leaning through the mountains on the bike last weekend, with myself and the wife on board and I still haven't been able to touch anything down yet. I have set my suspension up so that it's firmer/has more preload and rebound damping than stock though, and I run 42psi in my tires front and back if that makes any difference.

I would imagine that the sensors are set for the worst-case scenarios e.g. softest suspension and full dive on the front under heavy braking then cranking it way over etc.

I like having a centerstand because it makes it easy to work on the bike anywhere, and offers an alternative to the sidestand when conditions aren't favorable, filling the gas tank, working on the left side of the bike etc.

The "hole" under the seat on the left side is designed for your right hand to grab the frame when raising the bike on to the stand.

I've had a centerstand on mine virtually since new and I haven't grounded it yet.

The sensors with the centerstand I got were of unequal lengths.
Thanks for the reply. Both of the new lean sensors were the same length with my parts. But, I am happy to hear that even packing double you are not scraping. It appears that the rubber bumper that goes into the bracket on the exhaust pipe for the centerstand could be cut down a bit to gain more clearance, but, I need to ride the bike to see.
Now you post the trick about the exhaust, although at least I now know what would be involved to do a full exhaust system on the bike.
I am not wondering if the Buell footpeg mod would work with the centerstand since the folks that scraped the Buell footpegs did not have centerstands for the most part and, if the centerstand has limited cornering clearance anyway, maybe the Buell footpegs would fit in the new clearance envelope.
I could use some extra leg room.

Back