Center Stands for Gen 1

In10SS

Donating Member
Registered
I had center stands on both my 1st gen 'busas. When I got the the 2nd Gen I really missed the convenience. I had stands for our gsxr 750 so I was good there. Now I'm getting another 1st Gen next week and the after tires, springs front and rear, helibars, and buell pegs, a center stand was at the top of my list.
No big deal except . . . they are discontinued. I literally did 3 online purchases from places that said they had one over the past week, only to get refunds because it wasn't available. Contacted my dealer Tuesday who said only 4 showed in the whole country in dealers' stock. I called the two closest who didn't actually have one. Finally found one at the 3rd place in WV and its' on the way.
I had resorted to calling a few places who are heavy into extended swing arms to see if any had been taken off and had several discussions about how busas don't have centerstands; so no luck there. I did 4-5 online salvage parts requests and one came through from Mr Cycle in GA yesterday.
Ha ha, my wife thinks I'm crazy. I've purchased all of the above items and I don't go to pick-up the bike until next week.
in10ss

I see the center stands occasionally on ebay. My busa doesn't have one and, although I do sometimes miss the convenience of having one (had one on most of my other former bikes) especial parking the bike so it is less likely to tip over, I like the look of the busa without one too much.

I recently got one from ebay, and of course they only included the pivot bolt. I was able to get the long shouldered bolt (the stands stop/rest) in metric from my local Fastenall, the springs and spring bolt from Suzuki parts (fit lots of bikes so still easily available). As I have a complete exhaust I did not have an up position stop. So I drilled through the upper cross bar and installed a poly bump stop to touch against the shock link. Works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyclic...does the center stand now ride up and down with suspension travel ? Is that not going to wear the pivot bolt and spring in a hurry?

RSD.

I had center stands on both my 1st gen 'busas. When I got the the 2nd Gen I really missed the convenience. I had stands for our gsxr 750 so I was good there. Now I'm getting another 1st Gen next week and the after tires, springs front and rear, helibars, and buell pegs, a center stand was at the top of my list.
No big deal except . . . they are discontinued. I literally did 3 online purchases from places that said they had one over the past week, only to get refunds because it wasn't available. Contacted my dealer Tuesday who said only 4 showed in the whole country in dealers' stock. I called the two closest who didn't actually have one. Finally found one at the 3rd place in WV and its' on the way.
I had resorted to calling a few places who are heavy into extended swing arms to see if any had been taken off and had several discussions about how busas don't have centerstands; so no luck there. I did 4-5 online salvage parts requests and one came through from Mr Cycle in GA yesterday.
Ha ha, my wife thinks I'm crazy. I've purchased all of the above items and I don't go to pick-up the bike until next week.
in10ss

Did you ask here on the board? (center stand) I had one a couple months ago that I basically gave away.

RSD.

There was a stand listed under parts and modifications on 4-11-13 by damenke1 for $75.00.

Its never been posted as sold.

The stand is under minimal spring pressure when up, I lubed the pivot bushings with synthetic grease, should not be an issue. I really didn't want it riding against the swingarm. So this was the best compromise, the poly bumpstop is simple and replaceable if I ever need to. I might have made a bracket a little higher up from the frame, but with my underbraced swingarm, this was my best solution. Some day I'll get a stock swingarm, as mine is stock length with lower brace and the upper removed?!? But this should work in the mean time.

The stand is under minimal spring pressure when up, I lubed the pivot bushings with synthetic grease, should not be an issue. I really didn't want it riding against the swingarm. So this was the best compromise, the poly bumpstop is simple and replaceable if I ever need to. I might have made a bracket a little higher up from the frame, but with my underbraced swingarm, this was my best solution. Some day I'll get a stock swingarm, as mine is stock length with lower brace and the upper removed?!? But this should work in the mean time.

cool.

RSD.

Back