Cell phone law needed.

kaosccw

Registered
I'm usually against new laws, but cell phone use while driving is getting rediculous here. 1 out of 2 seem to be blabbing away, I've even seen them holding phones when driving motorcycles.
guns.gif
innatentive drivers.

Orlando police said a driver distracted by a cell phone slammed into an unmarked Orange County cruiser.

Police said the deputy was at the traffic light at Livingston Street and Bumby Avenue Tuesday night when the driver of a Toyota 4-Runner rammed right into the back of his cruiser.

The car then flipped over and rolled back into the front of the cruiser.

The driver and the deputy suffered only minor injuries.

Investigators said this all could have been avoided.

"Unfortunately, cell phones are a major distraction for drivers,â€￾ said Sgt. Brian Donohue from the Orlando Police Department. “In this case, the driver reached down, took his eyes off the road, heard his phone ringing, reached down to answer it and when he came back, he was too close to the car to avoid having the accident."

The driver who rammed the cruiser will be cited.

Studies indicate that while driving and talking on a cell phone can be equated to driving under the influence of alcohol. Something to think about.

(kaosccw @ Oct. 03 2007,13:59) “In this case, the driver reached down, took his eyes off the road, heard his phone ringing, reached down to answer it and when he came back, he was too close to the car to avoid having the accident."
anybody else catch the fact we were yokd he reached down twice? lol

Anyway, I agree cell phones are a MAJOR distraction. I've seen too many people that think the phone call is more important than the 2 ton guided missile their piloting. I can't say I'm completely against talking and driving, as I do it sometimes, but I try not to. I usually wait till I'm at a gas staion or wherever to talk on the phone.

two words: blue tooth.

those of you holding a phone while driving need to step it up.

(heavybusa @ Oct. 03 2007,15:35) two words: blue tooth.

That does help with the distraction factor, but you still have some amount of concentration on the call and not the road. I don't mind if it's a clear road, but if theres traffic, rain, snow, whatever? THE PHONE SHOULD NOT BE USED!

Soyou think that the act of holding the phone to your ear is more dangerous than the actual call?

In the case above, it would have at least kept the driver from looking away. I guess unless the blue tooth device was in the floor too.
laugh.gif

(TurboSN95 @ Oct. 03 2007,14:34) here in CT, it seems like MORE people talk on cellphones now that we have a law implemented.  
guns.gif
I drive in CT about once a month and notice it alot.

No enforcement. Liscense suspension if caught might do something.

I dont think the talking on the phone and driving is an issue.. Goofy is an issue! some people cant talk and chew gum at the same time. Some people have no business on the road even on a good day and no phone.. Do we outlaw manual shifting because the brain has something else to think about? There needs to be some sorta Goofy test.. POPO has phone , computer, radio and radar & camera & & yet he drives around working .
rant.gif

I agreed with Heavy, blue tooth. Everything else could be considered distraction, scratching balls, smocking, sipping coffee, talking with passengers. Fine could be elevated IF accident happened and it has been proven that person was on their phone.

(kaosccw @ Oct. 03 2007,15:44)

Soyou think that the act of holding the phone to your ear is more dangerous than the actual call?

In the case above, it would have at least kept the driver from looking away. I guess unless the blue tooth device was in the floor too.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

He11 yeah, most soccer moms cant see us in the other lane because they are on the dayum phone WITH it plugged in to the cigarette lighter charging.
eek2.gif

I agree there is a level of concentration for some people but I dont buy that is the only problem.

laugh.gif

(yamahor @ Oct. 03 2007,15:40)

That does help with the distraction factor, but you still have some amount of concentration on the call and not the road. I don't mind if it's a clear road, but if theres traffic, rain, snow, whatever? THE PHONE SHOULD NOT BE USED!
Agreed! Inclement weather is a whole different problem.

But if you cannot talk to someone and drive you need to hang it up.

I blow by people every morning that are in lah lah land because they are to ignorant to pay attention.

And then when they snap out of their lunchtime coma or what ever and realize they need to change lanes or what ever they slam on the brakes and cause an effing pile up.

idiots.

It's the talking, not where the phone is that causes the distraction. The law should be pull over and stop to use a phone or get a ticket.

You can see the same thing when a driver and passenger are having a heated discussion and the car weaves or runs a red light.

I'll tell you this, just like a CDL and a Class M license you should have to get an endorsement to talk and drive.

Some people have the mental capacity to function in life and others should be demoted to the bus.

Don't make me suffer because Suzie cant chat with her GFs, drive, and look at herself in the mirror all at once.

I do business on the phone while I am driving everyday and have no problem what so ever carrying on a conversation while maintain 65 mph

I cannot stand wearing those stupid blue-tooth earpieces!!!!!!!!! And I can't understand how people walk around for hours with it on their ear without even being on the phone!!!

I prefer the ear-piece that plugs into my phone, so much more comfy.

(kaosccw @ Oct. 03 2007,16:07)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ Oct. 03 2007,15:57) smocking
I didn't think of that one. Good point, smocking while driving can be hazardous.
jump9.gif
you should avoid needles and sewing while driving at all times
laugh.gif

I own a trucking company. I can multitask. But there is so much going on that I feel deserves my undivided attention that I only talk when stopped.

Think about a 40 ton truck doing 65 while the driver's more worried about what's going on somewhere else.

(TurboSN95 @ Oct. 03 2007,16:10) I cannot stand wearing those stupid blue-tooth earpieces!!!!!!!!! And I can't understand how people walk around for hours with it on their ear without even being on the phone!!!

I prefer the ear-piece that plugs into my phone, so much more comfy.
I hear ya, the corded ear pieces get jumbled up when I use them.

The blue tooth pieces have gotten progressively more comfortable.

(kaosccw @ Oct. 03 2007,16:11) I own a trucking company. I can multitask. But there is so much going on that I feel deserves my undivided attention that I only talk when stopped.

Think about a 40 ton truck doing 65 while the driver's more worried about what's going on somewhere else.
So I know that driving a rig takes far more concentration that a honda hybrid.

Back