CDI Igniton or Not?

horndog

Registered
Hi guys, I am getting a lot of conflicting information about ignitions. I am running a Gen1 Busa with a gt35 and stand alone ECU here in Australia. Since switching to the standalone ECU I need to get an ignition trigger for the coils. I want to leave my options open for switching to alcohol at a later date so I was considering a M&W Pro Drag 4 CDI system. I have some people saying that CDI isn't good for high revving engines and then there is also the coil over plug part which some people say is a weak link.

1. Is the CDI type ignition a waste of money or am I better using a basic igniter (brand suggestions)?
  2. Are the stock coil over plugs a weak link for the CDI?
  3. Is a basic igniter and a good set of coil over plugs a better option (brand suggestions)?
  4. What is the best ignition config for alcohol?

I'd like to hear first hand experience please, not a friend of a friend told me......

What year gen1?
The 99-00 is the same, 01 had some changes, and the 02-07 are all the same.
I can't answer your question, but the year will help to those who can.
You can also PM POWERHOUSE, site sponsor, and big hp bike builder in NY.

Matt i run cdi on my busa and LS2 truck coils on my 750 , had no trouble with the cdi igniting methanol
750 has low current drivers on a Vipec so the LS2 are a simple use of that system
busa still has std ecu and its high current ign drivers trigger the cdi fine (which is configurable for either option )

Back