catalyst racing undertail installation

george b

Registered
arrived with just the undertail, no instructions. anyone installed one of these before?? i've installed a competition werkes before where you had to hacksaw the exisitng plastic, but this looks like it might replace the entire plastic fender ???

thx!

the catalyst undertail replaces the entire fender. Disconnect the battery and ECU and set them aside while you take everything else off. Remove the rear tail to gain access to everything. Strip it all down to nothing but some loose wires and a subframe. Slip the undertail on and then the tail so you can determine where to drill the mounting holes underneath. Make sure you've got everything aligned.
After that put it all back together and drop the battery and ecu back in.

thanks.. ok, i have a decent fit. it was predrilled and all the holes line up, but one thing, i'm thinking there's no way this fiberglass is going to hold the battery up without breaking at some point. ???

i'm thinking i need to rig a metal strap under the battery and hung to the subframe to take the weight off the undertail. what is everyone doing?? and the ecu, i guess you just use double sided tape to get it to stay put?

also, i'm not a gear head, i've never messed with brakes or bleeding them. there's a resevoir that needs to be routed through the undertail. what's the best way to handle that without making a mess or getting air into the rear brake???

also, i'm not a gear head, i've never messed with brakes or bleeding them. there's a resevoir that needs to be routed through the undertail. what's the best way to handle that without making a mess or getting air into the rear brake???

buy a billet rear brake reservior. mounts to your M/C

IMG_0863.JPG

well i want to get the bike together tonight.. what's the simplest, cleanest way to do this.

i'm thinking unhooking the top resevoir @ the hose, with a towel underneath, flip it upside down real quick to keep it from pouring out, keep the hose upright to keep fluid in and air bubbles out, reroute through undertail, then reconnect hose to resevoir quickly. would that be stupid?

brake fluid is one of the most dangerous fluids on earth.:stirpot: It will also eat away paint if left on it.

Do you have anything to bleed the rear brake with?:goodidea:

if you are in a time squeeze...your method may work. But have alot of towels around to clean up the spilt fluid...especially if on the painted surfaces.

Last edited:
nope, nothing to bleed it with. BUT, would it need bleeding if all i do is disconnect the resevoir fill box from the top of the hose?? thx for the head's up on the fluid. i'm aware i'm not going to want to get it on anything, especially brake pads or the the paint..

even after you disconnect it...you will get some air in the line...it is inevitable.

I had made an aluminum strap that went under the undertail where the bettery sits and just used longer bolts for the fron to mounting points to the subframe to hold it snug. The battery tray section is pretty strong, but like you I wanted to be certain that the battery wouldn't eventualy fall out.

As for the rear brake res. In a rush you can just notch the undertail to slip it in.
The method you describe below would also work. After you reattach the resevoir open the cap to allow the little bit of trapped air to escape. No bleeding needed.
well i want to get the bike together tonight.. what's the simplest, cleanest way to do this.

i'm thinking unhooking the top resevoir @ the hose, with a towel underneath, flip it upside down real quick to keep it from pouring out, keep the hose upright to keep fluid in and air bubbles out, reroute through undertail, then reconnect hose to resevoir quickly. would that be stupid?

yeah, i went ahead and chanced it early this morning and popped the resevoir off and it worked out with absolutely no mess. the resevoir isn't completely full, so you can get it turned almost flat in one direction w/out spilling it, so it comes off and goes on without dripping.

and the notch, i had thought of that last night, ( i notched the plastic fender to remove it w/out taking the resevoir off ) but imo there's not a lot of strength in the undertail to begin with, if you cut a notch right there next to the mount point, well. i could def see it breaking if you didn't hang the battery.

anyways.. it all worked out. fit is almost perfect as far as my expectations (i knew it wouldn't be 100% perfect), looks frickin' great!! i'm extended and didn't want the plate under the light, also i wanted the stock light, not some (imo) goofy altenative, so it was exactly what i was looking for. pics to come, just waiting on the vanity plate to arrive :)

glad it all worked out :thumbsup: It gives you tons of tire space and you don't have to worry about any water getting inside the tail. :beerchug:

Back