Cars that shut off during stops...

Slowstang305

Registered
Seriously this has to be the most annoying this I have ever seen. No it's not new to me, I just happened to be stuck at a red light next to a Mercedes that had this feature. The guy moved up 1ft, then 2 ft then 1ft like a typical Florida driver and each time the engine would shut off and start up. Not sure why the EPA is so stringent but this is seriously absurd. I can only imagine wear and tear on components 10 years down the line etc.

My friend had a rental BMW with this feature also, basically felt like a hiccup everytime you hit the gas from a stop. LOL

Random thoughts of the day...

Seriously this has to be the most annoying this I have ever seen. No it's not new to me, I just happened to be stuck at a red light next to a Mercedes that had this feature. The guy moved up 1ft, then 2 ft then 1ft like a typical Florida driver and each time the engine would shut off and start up. Not sure why the EPA is so stringent but this is seriously absurd. I can only imagine wear and tear on components 10 years down the line etc.

My friend had a rental BMW with this feature also, basically felt like a hiccup everytime you hit the gas from a stop. LOL

Random thoughts of the day...
My Girlfriend's Mercedes did this too it drove me crazy the feature could be turned off but every time the car was restarted it automatically enabled.
Basically I used to power brake it slightly to keep it running.
Well apparently from doing that now the car doesn't shut off when stopped anymore regardless of the setting.

My cousin’s rover does this and it’s ridiculous in NY city traffic.
My friends f150 with the small turbo engine does it as well and I believe it has been added to the other trims/engines now.

Did you notice that if you're 4th or 5th in line at the light that you might not make the light anymore?

All those cars starting and then going adds time and now fewer cars get through the light.

I hate this on any vehicle, like said above can't imagine all the money that's gonna be spent right after the car is out of warranty because of this. I went with a friend to test drive an Impala he was looking at for his girl that has this . After the first couple times it did it he turned around and went back to the dealer without saying a word.When the salesman came up and asked what he thought he proceeded to all but cuss the guy out for trying to sell him a broken car. He had no idea the car was supposed to do this and when i realized he was seriously thinking there was something wrong i about fell out laughing. :lol:

I really dont see the issue with it. Just bought a 19 equinox for the wife. Ours doesnt shut off as crazy as the MBs I guess. If I take my foot off the break creep 5ft and then stop it will not shut off.

I have to imagine that cars with this have heavier duty starters but if not ours is a lease and I wgaf after its returned.

I have it on mine and it annoys the heck out of me. Drives me nuts. And it often gets confused and every now and then if you stop for 1 sec then want to go again.. It can't quite figure out if it's supposed to stop or start. I can turn it off, but it resets everytime I get out the car - get back in and there it is, enabled again.

I got fed up with it, so made a timing mod. A little timing circuit that when it gets 12v from ignition, it counts for 60 seconds then trips a relay which shorts the contacts momentarily to disable the system.

200.gif

The auto off auto on feature is pressure switch related in the brake pedal.
Come to a stop and slightly lift a bit of pressure off the brake while still keeping vehicle still. It’ll never shut off.

Our 23 Blazer has that. There is a switch to disable it but honestly we hardly notice it does it. The ac never changes, only know it when it starts back up. A coworker’s suburu has it and you know it imeadatly. Ac blows hot, car shakes on poop down and startup.

Our 23 Blazer has that. There is a switch to disable it but honestly we hardly notice it does it. The ac never changes, only know it when it starts back up. A coworker’s suburu has it and you know it imeadatly. Ac blows hot, car shakes on poop down and startup.
The Jeep we rented did that as well...it also had a huge hesitation when taking off...

Mmm, don't know, it does not bother me. Hit the gas and it maybe loses a second before taking off. Mine the computer knows if you are creeping and stopping little bits and it disables the feature automatically.

All models in Europe have had this nonsense for several years, it is even mandatory that new cars have this nonsense installed. Adaptive cruise control, emergency brake assist, start and stop, GPS system... all this crap has to be in the cars, otherwise you can't sell them here.

I personally think it's terrible, especially the ability to disable the systems has been taken away from us completely. This start and stop at every traffic light is a curse! You used to be able to switch it off permanently with the push of a button, now you have to hold down this ***** button for a long time every day at every start. The possibility of permanently overriding the stuff via OBD is no longer possible.
And then the saying "Yes, there are very special starters installed, which tolerate the constant starting of the engines well and last a long time". Hahahaha you look at the manufacturer's parts list and that's the same starter as "the no start and stop models", that were around a few years ago. But yeah...I'm sure that will save the world...

Honda CR-V has this feature, I hit the start button and the button to turn it off right after. Just part of the start up process now.
Yeah i know that well! Its like a check list!
Start and stop disabled? Check! Lane departure warning switched off? Check! Eco mode disabled? Check! Distance warning deactivated? Check!

Imagine you let the car go out at an intersection, get your clipboard out and before you start in the middle of traffic at rush hour, you first work off the list! :D

Back