carpenter's ported head...

run-4-cover

Registered
since I never see any post on stock bore bikes with head packages, I'll post mine. Here's the deal. My baseline dyno is how I bought the bike...bone stock with a full yoshimura rs-3 exhaust.

the "after" dyno is with carpenter racing's head with the .4xx lift cams, small airbox mod, short velocity stacks, pcIIIusb.

If i didn't list it (even the small stuff), it's not done, it's still OEM.

the pcIII was running a generic map off of the website, but the tuner done a little rough tune to make it safe, I'll take it back for a full mapping once I get the gen 3 brock system on here....I'm curious to see if that system will live up to the hype and make more power than the yosh. All I will do is change the exhaust, and re-dyno...then we'll map it.

I'll post the results of that test here too...exhaust should be here sometime next week.

*Note* the cams were degreed to maintain as much as the midrange as possible(so there's more top-end left, but I would sacrifice midrange; and this is a street bike)...I think this is a little too much head for a stock displacement/compression engine...I intend to add 12.5:1 stock bore pistons later in my quest for a realistic 200rwhp.

*just for comparison...the tuner said stock busas make about 150rwhp on his dyno (250I)... also, my 05 zx10r with a -1/+3 gearing, and full arrow exhaust made 146rwhp on the same dyno. Both bike run real strong...haven't been beat in a street race yet with either one
winkold.gif

Baseline dyno:
busadyno.jpg

After dyno:
busa-portedheadandcams.jpg

Not bad. On the engines I have built, especially for daily street use, low and mid range is the most improtent to me because that is where the engine spends most of it's time when the engine gets gassed. I pretty much leave the ports alone except for some clean up. The valve bowls and combustion chambers get most of the head work. Cam timing is kept moderate and degreed straight up. On the Busa, especially a normally aspirated engine I would go for a stroker crank between 2-5mm and not use a big bore kit but install 12:1 pistons. I would also use the the tall velocity stacks on all four cylinders but that is just me.

Thanks for posting these. I've been thinking about a head and cam package as my first performance mods. I'll be interested in seeing the outcome of the tune and brock pipe.

beerchug.gif

On the Busa, especially a normally aspirated engine I would go for a stroker crank between 2-5mm and not use a big bore kit but install 12:1 pistons. I would also use the the tall velocity stacks on all four cylinders but that is just me.
I was thinking about the same setup for my bike....08 crank, 12.5:1 drop-ins....I'm curious about the effect long vs. short velocity stacks have on the curve.

you wouldn't happen to have a comparison of (4) short stacks vs. (4) long ones would you? I would expect the long stacks to make more torque, but fall off more sharply up top....am I right?

When you get the brock pipe, dyno the bike before and after the tune. That will give you a true number of how much more horsepower youre getting witht the brock pipe versus the yosh.

When you get the brock pipe, dyno the bike before and after the tune.  That will give you a true number of how much more horsepower youre getting witht the brock pipe versus the yosh.
thats my intentions...got the brock system today...I'll put it on tomorrow...unfortunately, my setup will be changed some, so that will throw the dyno numbers off to some degree, because I put a +4 swingarm, new chain, +3 rear sprocket, chrome wheel, and a new shinko tire on also...I don't know how much it will affect the numbers, but I;m sure it will.

well, as promised, here are the results with the brock gen 3 exhaust installed. In all fairness, I did change my rear sprocekt to a lighweight vortex 43 tooth, took of the worn out battlaxe, and put a new shinko stealth on, and it's now stretched 6 inches (was stock wheelbase before), so you can factor in the new chain.....all in all
laugh.gif

well...nothing else was changed....you view the dyno and come to your own conclusion...I'll have a full exhaust for sale soon...guess which one?
laugh.gif

Brock baseline = blue          174.26hp 97.05tq
Brock mapped = red             172.24hp 94.41tq
yosh rough mapped = green      178.76hp 102.10

run conditions(in same order as dyno):
75.27F, 30.03 in-HG, Humidity 33%, SAE; 0.98
92.38F, 30.04 in-HG, Humidity 16%, SAE; 0.99
86.04F, 30.07 in-HG, Humidity 21%, SAE; 0.99

comparison of headers: brock (left), yosh (right)

brockvsyosh.jpg

dyno:
brockvsyosh001.jpg

laugh.gif

interesting!!! thanks for posting the numbers and pics, kinda gives me some ideas...i think i am wanting to try a star racing port job on my head....

Back