Carpenters 1397 kit

jayy

Registered
whats up .. since riding season is about over her in michigan, i wanted to go with an upgrade but not sure on the outcome...

i called carpenter racing about thier 1397 kit and he did not recommend it for the type of ridding i do....sometimes we ride to chicago and dayton ohio, and he says the bigger the motor the hotter it gets and it will run hotter if in stop and go traffic. long trip like chicago he wouldnt chance it....

just needed some info if anyone had a 1397

carpenter racing

I have a 1397 kit in mine.and i dont have a problem with overheating.and i also ride as far as 400 miles a trip.with stopping for fuel only.i have stock cooling fan and antifreeze in the bike i now have 12,584 miles on the 1397 with no problems.i have over 100 1/4 mile passes on it also.hope this helps in your decision.if not then check with kevin at kws motorsports.

(silverfreak @ Sep. 20 2006,08:57) I have a 1397 kit in mine.and i dont have a problem with overheating.and i also ride as far as 400 miles a trip.with stopping for fuel only.i have stock cooling fan and antifreeze in the bike i now have 12,584 miles on the 1397 with no problems.i have over 100 1/4 mile passes on it also.hope this helps in your decision.if not then check with kevin at kws motorsports.
ps. i live i west texas where it gets very hot.40+days over 100 so dont worry about overheating.
wink.gif

thanks .. this helps a lot being that I really want to go with the 1397 instead of the smaller kit ....how did the install for you
rock.gif

There can be some trade offs with the big bore....
I rode mine out to the MNGII without any mechanical problems (motor); but they do get Very Hot in Traffic! Almost impossible to restart once they do without a cooling off period. Higher octane gas can be a pain to find if your running the 13:1 compression motor. Everything else is a wash. Very dependable wouldn't hesitate to take on a long trip providing I made plans for the two events listed above....

Seems to me that if the guy that builds the motor says it ain't suitable, it ain't suitable............

You sure that you wern't talking to the guy who does the 'House-keeping' over there???

(jayy @ Sep. 20 2006,09:07) thanks .. this helps a lot being that I really want to go with the 1397 instead of the smaller kit ....how did the install for you
rock.gif
I did the install myself.it is actually very easy to do.it can be done with the engine in the bike.but i recommend pulling it out.if you do it with the engine in the bike there is one headbolt that is a sob to get out and back in when removing the head.its just a whole lot easier to do it with the engine out.

(Mr Brown @ Sep. 20 2006,11:11) Seems to me that if the guy that builds the motor says it ain't suitable, it ain't suitable............
Agree... But, IMOP its not the 1397 that makes the bike unstreetable. Its what you do with it internally... If your squeezing every last pony from the block then its obviously not made for this kind of riding. But, if you keep it mild you could ride it everyday! Heads, Porting, Cams over 385 all contribute to the non-streetable qualities of a bigbore motor.

ks- waterbug.....what do you mean restart...
how long do you have to wait if it runs hot??
or if Im in traffic and I shut it off.....
and I ride really hard sometimes....here in michigan we do whats called the loop and after doing that im sure it will be hot. ... but after I shut it off your saying I have to wait for it to cool down to start it...???

(jayy @ Sep. 20 2006,11:24) ks- waterbug.....what do you mean restart...
how long do you have to wait if it runs hot??
or if Im in traffic and I shut it off.....
and I ride really hard sometimes....here in michigan we do whats called  the loop and after doing that im sure it will be hot. ... but after I shut it off your saying I have to wait for it to cool down to start it...???
The higher the compression the greater the likelyhood of the bike having a difficult time restarting after getting hot while stuck in traffic. Of course this is only should you shut your bike off... You can run a 24volt system, add addtional fans, change thermostats, etc... but there all really just band-aids for one of the bigbore ailments. This really won't be an issue if you avoid traffic jams...

Not trying to get in an argument here, I frankly could not care less if a Carpenter 1397 is streetable or not, I don't have one, not looking at getting one.
KS I agree 100% with what you said about the internals.

Mr Brown....No we are not aruging, thats just your opinion...... if you dont care about a 1397 then why post it.......Im looking for a 1397 and the opinions of those who have them.......

There was a guy at the 05' spring Busa bash that had a 1397 kit. His bike had soo much more power.  A definite worthy upgrade.

I bet KS put 1000 miles on his with the meet-N-greet. I’d say that is pretty streetable. I’ve been thinking about/doing research on a 1397 for some time. “IF†I do it, I’m leaning toward a ported head, milder than usual cams (for a 1397 anyhow), using about 10.5-11:1 compression. I want to avoid the ultra high octane fuel, but I’m a bit known for doing things different. I want to target across the board gains instead of peak horsepower. I’m predicting 200 reliable horsepower at the rear wheel on 87-89 octane pump gas without starting being an issue. It should still make over 110 ft-lbs of torque all the way from 5k to 10k rpms. I can always throw another 30-60hp shot of nitrous on it later.

Not sure if it will ever happen, but that is the route I’d like to take.

(jayy @ Sep. 20 2006,10:32) Mr Brown....No we are not aruging, thats just your opinion...... if you dont care about a 1397 then why post it.......Im looking for a 1397 and the opinions of those who have them.......
+1 he must have been board or something

(Professor @ Sep. 20 2006,14:56) I bet KS put 1000 miles on his with the meet-N-greet. I’d say that is pretty streetable. I’ve been thinking about/doing research on a 1397 for some time. “IF†I do it, I’m leaning toward a ported head, milder than usual cams (for a 1397 anyhow), using about 10.5-11:1 compression. I want to avoid the ultra high octane fuel, but I’m a bit known for doing things different. I want to target across the board gains instead of peak horsepower. I’m predicting 200 reliable horsepower at the rear wheel on 87-89 octane pump gas without starting being an issue. It should still make over 110 ft-lbs of torque all the way from 5k to 10k rpms. I can always throw another 30-60hp shot of nitrous on it later.

Not sure if it will ever happen, but that is the route I’d like to take.
You go Rick!!

I would think anything that took 91 octane or less would be best for street use. It got scary a couple times looking for 93 for Sonny in our neck of the woods at least, and I didn't ask him what gas mileage his gets but I would bet it is less than my 40-ish.
smile.gif

Head out to some of the Western states for a jaunt and it could get pretty ugly.

(silverfreak @ Sep. 20 2006,11:04)
(silverfreak @ Sep. 20 2006,08:57) I have a 1397 kit in mine.and i dont have a problem with overheating.and i also ride as far as 400 miles a trip.with stopping for fuel only.i have stock cooling fan and antifreeze in the bike i now have 12,584 miles on the 1397 with no problems.i have over 100 1/4 mile passes on it also.hope this helps in your decision.if not then check with kevin at kws motorsports.
ps. i live i west texas where it gets very hot.40+days over 100 so dont worry about overheating.
wink.gif
You need to head up here to lubbock some time and join up with me and a couple other busa riders.  I would love to check out the 1397 kit. Where did you get yours from.

Back