Careful where you get your gas

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
I have been going to the same place for a while now, a phillips 66. I took my truck in to have it looked at because it was bogging down a lot. They found out that over 25% of my gas was water and its going to cost me $1000 to get it fixed :madfire: They recommended that quicktrip be my only gas station. They have filters to separate the moisture build up from the gas when it is pumped into the ground. So be careful!

With 25% water I'd wonder if gas was diluted with water on purpose.

Last edited:
I really thought, "Oh the gas is fine, if something happens it will never happen to me" I hate the thought of paying $4 a gallon with 1 buck of it being gas. O_O I need to drain my bikes gas :-o

Use to use QT only up North, don't have them down here and gas is not good in Florida. Have stopped at a few stations and you can feel the difference when you get gas at the bad ones.

I'm sure it's the station or distributor and not the brand, been taking my two old cars and had taken my bike to the same Phillips 66 station for years with zero problems.

Last edited:
I'd be tickeled pink to just find one without friggen' ethinol in it.

I got my doubts about the diagnosis myself... at 25% water,

the gas would be all on top of the water and the fuel system would be pumping pure water...

It would not bog, it would not run at all... and honestly $1000 to drain and flush the fuel system? Someone else has gas, gas in the brain...

Someone is trying to stick it to you sir..... I would say at the very WORST time estimate, I would charge 4 or 5 hours (and that is outrageous).. your shop charge $200 an hour?

Last edited:

the gas would be all on top of the water and the fuel system would be pumping pure water...

It would not bog, it would not run at all... and honestly $1000 to drain and flush the fuel system? Someone else has gas, gas in the brain...

Someone is trying to stick it to you sir..... I would say at the very WORST time estimate, I would charge 4 or 5 hours (and that is outrageous).. your shop charge $200 an hour?

+1 Does not compute

+1

And if there is really 25% water, it didn't come from the station. Somebody put it in there. The "water" you get from a gas station is condensation and minimal amounts.

Take a look at all of your gas stations around town. They all get their gas from the same place. The only difference is, when the tanker pulls up to the terminal and fills up for delivery additives are added. Each company has their own additives. For the entire tanker truck, the amount of additives is about a quart. BP adds 2 quarts.

still think the diagnosis is bunk.... and if the estimate includes a pump, it would only add the price of the pump (had to pull the tank to drain and clean the system anyway..)

Do not have my flat rate book or the specific vehicle information but here is what you might have:

labor to R&R Fuel pump (includes R&R tank)
Labor to change fuel filter maybe .7

Install pump, leave return line free of tank and cycle pump a few times to make sure "gas" is coming back to tank and not water..
Assemble system rest of the way, change filter and fire the sucker up...

I would have a second opinion on this job if the shop is telling you different..

Last edited:
A little ways from my house, on my way to and from my work is a place called "Williams Energy Corporation". It's where ALL the gasoline delivery tankers go to fill up on gas to deliver to the stations in roughly a 100 sq. mile area. It all comes from the SAME bulk tanks. The only differences are the additives put into the tanker full of gas by different haulers at the fill point. One gasoline tanker can deliver on a route to several different brands of gas stations. Your QT may well be getting it's gas out of the same tanker, on the same day, as your Phillips 66. And no, they don't run it through any special filters on the way in. They just pull the cover off, attach the hose and pump it in, like any other station.
As for water in your gas, has anyone else getting gas at the suspect station had any problems? If the're pumping a gallon of water for every 3 gallons of gas there would be dead cars all over the road around your area (not bogging, dead).
I'd suspect that garage your going to way more than the gas station. Sounds like a set of spark plugs and a $1000 bill to me.

30+ years in the garage business and I can tell you that I NEVER saw a fuel pump damaged by "water in fuel"... I would like to see this "itemized" bill myself but I am pretty skeptical of what is going on here...

Pull the tank, replace fuel filter and pump, purge the lines, pull the injectors and clean. Sounds about right -The shop will say they can't guarantee the job without doing all that. I've paid for similiar claims before as vandalism on comprehensive coverage. And most of it not needed at all.

Last edited:
Back