Career advice

Hi there!!

I'm 29 working 3 years in the shipping industry dealing with safety and security on ships, not my field as Im a Naval Architect and Marine Engineer. It had been really good but I was needing to change to something more close to my education. And a proposition came to join a technical company which is close to my field, but the thing is that I will be 10-20 days per month average out attending ships all over the wqorld instead the 4-5 days per month I spend out in the current company I work now. Anyway, its really my thing, better money.

I feel a bit stressed to start all over again learning, familiarization, new people etc. I dont know....

Whats your thought?

at 29 jump on it if the money is right and you have no obligations.

29...now's when you can take those kind of chances and beef up your resume. If you are going to move up the ladder, now's the time to be doing it, while people are still interested in you. As you get older, companies will be looking for younger people they think they can train and invest longer term in. Right now you are in the prime category.

go where the money is.... then ull have more experience and therefore more marketable and can look for somthn that pays as well if not better and not have to be away from family so far if u have one.

at ur age u shud be making as many sacrifices as possible simply cause u physically can. doing that wen ur older isn't so easy and as u get older u will be less marketable cause companies always want young experienced workers not old experienced workers.

Thank you for ur advice!! The thing is that I dont have a family, just a supportive girlfriend. So, I think its better to gain 3 year experience at my field get the more money and after to settle down in some other company not doing so much travelling. Because now I dont have any obligations-family-kids etc. If I choose to stay here doing audits (safety-security) Ill continue my career far from my field (naval architect) and if I take the new job I'll be at my field ,will gain experience for my resume and more money. I don't know, I'm confused and afraid not to take the wrong step. ???

Back