Care packages

Spectre

Donating Member
Registered
I've a couple of friends that are now stationed in Afghanistan. Several of us are going to put together some care packages to send over and I want some input about what would be nice to get.

Please let me know if there is anything "women specific" since two of the three are female.

Thanks all.

i would recomend copys of magazines like GQ or something like that for them. lol

SNACKS!!! You can never have too many snacks because the chow hall is usually far away and at 110 degrees you sometimes choose to go hungery than walk in that heat! If you know what kind of personal hygene stuff they use that is all ways much better than the crap they sell here like shampoo, soap deoterant, toothpaste and what not. Great idea and thanks for helping some toops out... I am always amazed how many people on this site go out of their way for our troops!

two bottles of mouth wash (brown) then empty them out and fill with Jim Beam or Jack Daniels... :thumbsup: or one of each... :laugh:

then try to reseal... just think of a way to send them some alcohol...

not that i never did that... :whistle:

I have never recieved alcohol out here:whistle: but I hear the just a regular bottle of water what is wrapped up in shrink wrap taste a lot like grey goose! and never has a problem getting past customs!

When hubby was deployed he always asked for lots of unscented baby wipes for "cleaning up" when showering every hour from the ungodly heat was not an option. Magazine subscriptions were appreciated. Maxim, Cosmo (for the ladies), even People seem to be popular. Hubby also appreciated DVD's and those were something that could be shared and enjoyed by others at his command. He also like it when I would send those microwavable bucket thingys of raviolis and ramen noodles; apparently this was a better option than Navy food at times. Of course he would always love getting stuff from home, even if it seemed boring and mundane to me, it kept him feeling like an integral part of the family. Oh, artwork from our young child was also a hit. :)
Mixed CD's with popular music and even some of the older music that we enjoy were also enjoyed. Snacks such as peanuts, cashews, and trailmix travel well.
I could ramble on, but I think those are the high points. Don't forget, if the care package is going to a spouse or significant other a racy letter is a must!! That really brightens their day recieving that. :) :)

Yep been 5 times... LOVE the snacks... jerky is a hit... to be honest with you though, a few people took the time to make some cookies and sent them out to us... that touch of home was nice.... but I have to add this as some comic relief.... In 2005, I was in Baghdad and some kids sent us cards for christmas, prob from middle school. Anyway I was reading them and came across one that said "Dear soldier, Merry Christmas, I hope you dont die" Dude we lost it... did the teacher not scan these things...??? I think I still have it around here somewhere.... HA

While disturbing given where you were, that kid was just being an honest little kid...gotta love that :)

I havn't been to Afghanistan, but, on deployment I always liked Magazines, Snacks/candy, and movies. I quit last year but cigarettes were always good too.

Oh I just a remembered another a "hot commodity" of requests; air fresheners. Not everyone in the command would share the same hygiene rituals and some would downrigt STINK! As mentioned before, Snacks, Snacks, and more Snacks.
Prepaid calling cards that work on the sattelite phones (most of the time AT&T). Usually the Sattelite phones were an issue when stationed on a ship.

the new Spawar phones work great and they are cheap. I think most people are getting away from calling cards. And nevermind I just saw you were on a ship so I have no clue how that works... I should start reading everything lol

With snacks make sure there is a microwave available. I sent my wife like 4 boxes of her favorite popcorn and she had to bring it back with her. We take so many things for granted back in the US. We'll both be in the same place soon and during the bash:banghead: so we're just trying to get our fill of Hot Pockets and the rest of that junk. Hand held games are a hit too, like the ones with card games on them. They have those in the toy sections of stores and they aren't expensive either. good luck

Back