Carbon fiber wheels

Bowaleed

Registered
Hello,

i want to have a review about carbon fiber wheels on the track, is it really make different in 1/4 mile time ? Is it worth ?

Hello,

i want to have a review about carbon fiber wheels on the track, is it really make different in 1/4 mile time ? Is it worth ?
How serious are you? Very serious: Spare no expense to lose weight and rotating mass.
Weekend warrior: Meh...spend it if you got it.
Once in a while: Money vs fractions of a second.
Rubb.

How serious are you? Very serious: Spare no expense to lose weight and rotating mass.
Weekend warrior: Meh...spend it if you got it.
Once in a while: Money vs fractions of a second.
Rubb.
Weekend warrior to serious,
Is it come up to .3 tenth of the second only by using the carbon wheels?

I'm thinking like Rubb... If you have money to burn. It could make a difference. Last time I heard a price they were about $3500. for a set. And if you don't change your own tires there could be another problem. I know guys in all the shops in my area. They don't want to mess with them. To worried about damaging them.

I'm thinking like Rubb... If you have money to burn. It could make a difference. Last time I heard a price they were about $3500. for a set. And if you don't change your own tires there could be another problem. I know guys in all the shops in my area. They don't want to mess with them. To worried about damaging them.
But is it really gives better acceleration and time ?

what difference in time i can see for 8 sec bike ?

There will be a gain 4 sure. The only people who could answer honestly to a close time will be somebody who has done it. With lots of passes with and without.If you have the dough...why not. Keep yer stockers thou in case you sell your bike down the road you can sell goodies seperately,thats what I have done.
Like Popie said they are fragile. A good tech with a good machine and proper use of Rim savers will take it on,but nobody likes them.
I'm guessing you have done the math on weight savings.It is worth it there,plus makes it better in the twisties. Hopefully somebody in the know comes along. :thumbsup:
Rubb.

If what you are most interested in is better acceleration, weight loss is an extremely expensive way to achieve very little improvement. If you're into cornering, weight loss will help but it won't help much unless you also practice. I believe your cornering will improve way more through practice than it will through weight loss. I got Carrozzeria rims for my 14 and have removed over 75 lbs from that bike and I don't corner any faster on it than I did with stock wheels. I corner just as fast on my busa which has very little weight removed except for switching to a full system.

It seemed like I did notice a small improvement in acceleration with the Carrozzerias but I never did any timed runs. Any improvement would have been a fraction of a second, could I really feel that? IDK. Maybe it was just the sensation of less rotational mass in the wheels that I was feeling through the bike. One thing I can say is that I was afraid to lean the bike as hard for about two years. I could also feel the effect of reduced gyroscopic force in cornering and it feels less stable, less planted on the ground.

If you buy some CF wheels, I think you will like them. I like my Carros but the stockers were not that much different to me even though they are much heavier. I'm hoping to buy some CF wheels for my busa soon but I already know they will be better than I am.

No way to answer that. Another good upgrade in the same area is ceramic wheel bearings. I went to ceramic bearings on my Busa. To many variables going down the track to say if they helped my ET. But the wheels spin much more freely with the ceramic bearings they steel bearings. Below is a link to a Chris Moore video where he installs a set.

I've been down this road a few times and I'm going down this road again. Lightweight wheels and ceramic bearings netted me zero on my nitrous bandit and zero on my gen 1 Busa. I did notice the ceramic bearings made it easier to push around in the staging lanes but I never picked up even 0.5 mph. I ordered some wheels yesterday and I'm doing the ceramic bearings again. Dave @ Worldwide bearings is a big supporter of drag bike racing and I like to support businesses that give back. The way I figure it, all the little tiny gains add up eventually. If you're looking for three tenths, you better put a 40-50 shot on it.

Back