Carbon fiber wheels

fadiizzaldin

Registered
Hi all, I’m planning to get a set of BST carbon fiber wheels, has anyone tried them? What do you think of them,,, pros/ cons.

I really appreciate the help .... ooops forgot the B :laugh:

Last edited:
have a set / expensive / beware braking sounds different / hardly a cush drive. Exotic

(Opinion - order from Brocks!)

I almost got a set of those but just couldn't afford them. They are great but be ready for a much lighter front end. I put Marchesini Forged Magnesium wheels on mine and the difference between the stock ones and those made the front end very 'twitchy' .
Even after having suspension reset to the lighter weight and tailored to my weight the front end still dances more than it did when I had the stock wheels on it . Full throttle from 3-4-5 and she will 'skip' the front wheel trying to lift it which is a bit unnerving but at 80mph or above she will lean over and change lanes on the hgwy so much easier and quicker due to less rotational mass . This I like cuz I ride hgwy mostly and it's easy to flick it back and forth now .
I imagine if I had some twisties here in south Florida it would be a dream :(
I got my Marchesini wheels off EBay from a seller in Cali for around $2k whereas the BSTs I could not find for less than $3k .

IMHO, I'd suggest avoiding CF wheels. Unless you are a high quality racer, you will gain little if anything in your performance on the bike. Very expensive, hard to find shops that will touch a tire change without you signing a waver not holding them responsible for damge. While they are very light weight they are also fragile! I have heard tales of CF wheels failing due to hitting a chuck hole hard.

If I had 3 grand to spare I'd spend it on improving my skills riding what I have.

Simply my opinion which means little to anyone but me! :beerchug:

IMHO, I'd suggest avoiding CF wheels. Unless you are a high quality racer, you will gain little if anything in your performance on the bike. Very expensive, hard to find shops that will touch a tire change without you signing a waver not holding them responsible for damge. While they are very light weight they are also fragile! I have heard tales of CF wheels failing due to hitting a chuck hole hard.

If I had 3 grand to spare I'd spend it on improving my skills riding what I have.

This was another reason I did not get carbon fiber wheels. Here in Florida on the highways we have many overpasses and these things have like a one to two inch rise on them when you leave asphalt and get onto the concrete overpass. You hit these things at 80 or so with a solid 'thud' that definitely jolts you . I was worried the CF may overtime weaken , shatter or explode ? I know there is a video on YouTube of a guy bouncing them on the floor but I still was wary of them .

Video {destructive testing}
- BST Carbon Fiber Wheels sold by Rever Corsa for Custom Motorcycles.[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, yeah...... I also sprung for 'the' tire changer recognized by BST as a changer of choice; No Mar (that was another grand).

Glad I spring for it but I wasn't thinking sbout that originally.

Something I didn't know pre purchase (possibly?) cf wheels seem to be a smidge larger diameter (seems accurate from changing tires) and they do not seem to have as large a recess in the center of the wheel. Net? - the tires do not seem to go on and off the rims as easy as stockers.

I can't say they improve all the stuff they say gets improved. I'm glad to have been able to use them but this is a lot of cash.

thank you all for the info, great stuff,,, i think i will go for them as i love taking corners... plus i love the looks of them. i'll post some data once i get them

Thanks to all:beerchug:

I have about 1K miles on mine. I also put some Galfer superbike wave rotors on the front (thanks Pashnit). On the street, you will notice the weight reduction. The bike handles better and stops better. On the drag strip, I am getting just about 150 MPH (149.8 last Sat). I am 230 lbs without gear, and the bike is still SWB and completely stock motor. I believe the wheels and ceramic bearings are getting me a couple mph. I found a local shop that had no problem agreeing to mount tires....even when I brought them the tires also. If you have the cash, go for it. I got mine from Brock. I am not sure about the diameter change. I don't run the rear on the street. I keep a sticky tire on it which I only use at the track.

DSC03335.JPG

DSC03420.JPG

Its all in the eye of the beholder and whether or not dropping $3k on something like wheels really effects your wallet.

IMO I'd pass as I think CF wheels on this bike are overkill. Why not consider a nice happy medium and go w/ a sweet set of forged aluminum wheels like the Carrozzeria's or Marchesini's? Then you'd still have money left over to put toward something else on the bike.
I got my Carrozzeria's in Titanium color and think they compliment the bike very nicely.

DSC02894.jpg

I agree with Takeuon. Thats quite a hefty price for some wheels. I would dump the 3k on some turbo work.

I guess it all depends on what you do with your bike. We all have different tastes. If I had the 3k, would be all on motor.

I think I am going to try the poser route, looks like carbon, but stock wheel. Sort of just want carbon fiber for the look, the turbo makes plenty enough power to spin the stock wheels lol

SG106192-1.jpg

Really? I never heard this,everything I ever read about CF is its a very durable material,that can handle just about anything,I would think there would be a BIG problem if something as common as a pot hole would cause damage.I mean,I have seen potholes in the city here that have flattened car tires but most people try and avoid such things.your average pothole shouldnt be an issue but should be avoided if possible at all times anyway,no matter what wheel you are spinning.

I think I am going to try the poser route, looks like carbon, but stock wheel. Sort of just want carbon fiber for the look, the turbo makes plenty enough power to spin the stock wheels lol

SG106192-1.jpg

I think that looks pretty good actually. :agree:

I think the number for front and rear BST CF Busa Wheels TYD including salee tax and a sprocket should be substantially closer to 4 Grand than 3.

It's aweful tempting to add ceramic bearings too / oops thede goes that number again.

(Yes to the TURBO and cf look wheels on Blue / Black.)

Back