Carbon fiber Hayabusa?

Itsxthexslim

Registered
Im new to the org here and glad to be here. I'm looking over my NY winter to sell my custom painted plastics and tank to do a carbon fiber body. I might just leave tail to paint it black and/or tank to black. I would love to get a carbon tank but that **** is crazy expensive. Is there any big weight reduction by going carbon fiber. I know there lighter but any ideas. And any clue on what to sell my custom plastics for?

Welcome to the board . Carbon is $$$ no matter what. Looks are great but why save the weight ? You gonna do speed runs or drag?

I might drag it to see what it does every once in a while but I always like the look of carbon fiber. I had my integra all carbon fiber just always been a fan of it. I saw that post of tank. He has been trying to sell it for awhile according to first post date. 750 I wish I had. My trunk on my integra was only 650 lol. But the tank is such a nice piece

If you're talking weight saving the biggest bang for your buck will be the carbon fibre tank, rather than the bodywork. I'm not sure of prices over there (I'm in New Zealand) but it is about the same price to purchase a tank compared to a full set of bodywork in carbon fibre, so it balances out. The weight difference between the fibreglass backed panels to full carbon fibre aren't enough to justify the extra cost if you are looking at getting the panels IMHO.

You *could* always have a crack at taking a mold of your plastics and lay-up some new panels yourself? That will keep the cost down.

One of our newest sponsors makes the entire body and tank out of Cf.
He's in Greece and his prices are reasonable. Look for him in sponsor section.

There's also a member here who has an all CF Busa and its for sale.
Username Pan.

If you're talking weight saving the biggest bang for your buck will be the carbon fibre tank, rather than the bodywork.

I'm not so sure about that. My carbon fairings weigh next to nothing in total, yet if you put all the plastic fairings together they weigh more than your tank does.

EG
Plastic nose cone (no lights or anything else), 1.24kgs
BusaOEMnosecone.jpg

Carbon/kevlar nose cone, 0.48kgs
Busacarbonnosecone.jpg

I would love to put carbon fiber everywhere I can. I can get a bigger performance boost by dropping 10 pounds off my fat A$$.

Yea man. I know when I did my car in carbon. Super light. But your going from metal or so to carbon fiber. Hugh weight difference. I checked out carbon aramid. Beautiful pieces they make. Price is insane. If I gotta buy pieces little by little I will. I guess

I remember a thread from about 04 where someone added up all the savings from carbon and Ti on his bike ( including rims and exhaust) the bikes wieght was like 420lbs

yeah but how practical is CF on the street? Guys that use CF fairings and tank etc. are specifically trying shed unwanted weight for a purpose ie. tracking it or trying to set a LSR. These are controlled enviroment settings, I can see getting a few piecies for aesthetic reasons but what happens to the CF nose or $5k BST's when they catch an errant rock from a semi truck?

Yea I see what your saying but same thing with a custom paint job on a car or bike. You hit that pothole or rock hits your **** then your pisssed. Or I can just do a carbon fiber wrap. So I don't get so mad. Lol

Thats what insurance is for

Yeah but I don't know how insurance rates work it cost so much to insure every thousand dollars of parts etc.... I forget what the Geico person told me but like I said a set of BST's will run you $5k and probably another 3-4k for CF tank and fairings. Insurance is high enough on sportbikes you want to add another 10 grand worth of coverage that's up to you. If you just want the looks you can do that CF wrap for a fraction of the cost :whistle:

Back