Carbon fiber duplication

All ya gotta do is use your plastic body parts as a plug to make your mold using regular fiber glass then lay up the carbon fiber inside your knew mold and pull your knew carbon part or just place the carbon fiber on top of the part (inner fairing,gas tank etc) and seal it with clear gel coat.

They already make CF gas tanks "there's one on e-bay" and huggers and front fenders......a whole bikes worth of panels....sure why not
Great topic Ryth

Don't get mad at me for the crappy pics...I didn't take em

CFhump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you know my say'n "I got mo time than money..

Doing small hand lay up dont require any sophisticated tools just a certain type of paint brushe, resins roller ,measuring and paper mixing cups sand paper,box knife maybe a router in some cases. When I get time I'll probably to the Rice Pony (local M.C salvage yard) and get a used Busa fairing and try my hand at a large scale molding project . If it works out I post a step by step with photo's fo all ya interested Playaz.

Peace out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you know my say'n  "I got mo time than money..

Doing small hand lay up dont require any sophisticated tools just a certain type of paint brushe, resins roller ,measuring and  paper mixing cups sand paper,box knife maybe a router in some cases.  When I get time I'll probably to the Rice Pony (local M.C salvage yard) and get a used Busa fairing and try my hand at a large scale molding project .  If it works out I post a step by step with  photo's fo all ya interested Playaz.

Peace out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interested deffinately interested, Ryth.
U da man.

I aint got $h!t on you.  U da Pimp
idea.gif
When your ready to step to the plate on the fiberglass deal let a brotha man know sumfin>>>>>>aight. I got some tutorial videos I can copy for ya so you can get a real good feel for this type fabricating when your ready.

Hey Rhythm,

Cool Topic! I did some layups in Carbon for a telescope tube with even less tools than you listed and it came out OK. Strong as hell and light. I made the main tube out of a sandwich of two layers of carbon around a thick glass fiber mat. The whole sandwich is about 1/8" thick. The tube is 9" in diameter and 38"long and weights less than 3 pounds (maybe even less than 2 pounds). I bet I can stand on tube's side and not break it. I weigh about 260 lbs. Carbon is good stuff.

Have you tried Kevlar? It is abrasion resistant and might be a good laminate to cover the bottom of the carbon fairings to act like a slider? No more grind-away knobs, just let the bike skip across the asphalt on the Kevlar and then pick it up and brush it off and touch up the paint?

Dude THat full bike pick up above...Man I cry every time I see that bike.  All of that beautiful carbon assed up by a $99 dollar set of Miami Vice freakin splash graphics...Kills me.  People with some money to spend and no idea what the hell they are doing....Grrrr...

Money cannot buy taste or a clue and that bike proves it...what a shame...

Cool Topic though...Gets my brain working...Shouldn't be too hard to lay up your own hugger, front fender or inner fairing bits should it?

Have you tried Kevlar? It is abrasion resistant and might be a good laminate to cover the bottom of the carbon fairings to act like a slider? No more grind-away knobs, just let the bike skip across the asphalt on the Kevlar and then pick it up and brush it off and touch up the paint? [/QUOTE]

I have access to second hand kelvar but never thought about applying it that way . I quess I'll have to make some homemade dragn jeans too
laugh.gif

Cool Topic though...Gets my brain working...Shouldn't be too hard to lay up your own hugger, front fender or inner fairing bits should it? [/QUOTE]

Nut'n to it but to do it .

Back