Carbon Fiber Dash

tipsyxb

Registered
Does anyone know where i can get a Real Carbon Fiber Dash Bezel? my "plastic" one has a Curl in it and when i ride it drives me nuts looking at it (kinda like a loose thread on a shirt you know its there and you want to cut it). so whole dash is going carbon so i might as well make this match.

I just got mine from a member on here, you're just a tad too late there. Keep an eye out i'm sure something will show up. I found mine by luck

Those people have some nice looking stuff. What's 'dry' carbon fiber?

Carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Vacuum bagging

For simple pieces of which relatively few copies are needed, (1–2 per day) a vacuum bag can be used. A fiberglass, carbon fiber or aluminum mold is polished and waxed, and has a release agent applied before the fabric and resin are applied, and the vacuum is pulled and set aside to allow the piece to cure (harden). There are two ways to apply the resin to the fabric in a vacuum mold. One is called a wet layup, where the two-part resin is mixed and applied before being laid in the mold and placed in the bag. The other is a resin induction system, where the dry fabric and mold are placed inside the bag while the vacuum pulls the resin through a small tube into the bag, then through a tube with holes or something similar to evenly spread the resin throughout the fabric. Wire loom works perfectly for a tube that requires holes inside the bag. Both of these methods of applying resin require hand work to spread the resin evenly for a glossy finish with very small pin-holes. A third method of constructing composite materials is known as a dry layup. Here, the carbon fiber material is already impregnated with resin (prepreg) and is applied to the mold in a similar fashion to adhesive film. The assembly is then placed in a vacuum to cure. The dry layup method has the least amount of resin waste and can achieve lighter constructions than wet layup. Also, because larger amounts of resin are more difficult to bleed out with wet layup methods, prepreg parts generally have fewer pinholes. Pinhole elimination with minimal resin amounts generally require the use of autoclave pressures to purge the residual gases out."

A-Tech makes nice stuff, no fiberglass backing for "strength" on their products. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

cheers
ken

Cool thanks Ken. I saw the cf front fenders they make. Converted over from yen to dollars they are around $300. Not too bad.

Back