Carbon Fiber Airbox

hot dang, sure is purdy but $900 is still a loy of coin

Last edited by a moderator:
They claim 4 pounds savings and 4 HP over stock. Remove your air filter and you will get most of that for free (if properly tuned). The stock one doesnt' even weigh 4 lbs, so the claim is a crock of shoot.

I assume a Dyno tune would be required after replacing a stock air box, no?

cheers
ken

i like different things on my bikes that everyone else shys away from i think one of these is going on my 09 if i dont turbo it

They claim 4 pounds savings and 4 HP over stock. Remove your air filter and you will get most of that for free (if properly tuned). The stock one doesnt' even weigh 4 lbs, so the claim is a crock of shoot.

Agreed. The stock airbox does not weigh 4lbs and the CF airbox does not give 4hp over a properly tuned stock airbox (Race Filter and Velocity stacks). I called them out months ago on Psychobike about it

Actual weight of the stock airbox with the 2 sensors, pair valve and the intake boots with no air filter weighs 4lbs and 8oz. Air filter adds another 13oz.

Depending on the thickness of the carbon fiber, the box should be very light but not 4lbs obviously. I would venture to say at least half the weight.

unless youre building a dedicated drag bike, then save the money or spend it on something more practical for a street bike

Just put this on the stock one :laugh:

carbonfiber tape.jpg

less than 30 bucks and you can do a few airboxs :laugh:

Jk

As the saying goes if you can afford it why not, but you or your tech maybe the only ones enjoying your investment when you do the maintenance on it. :thumbsup:

carbonfiber tape.jpg

$900.00 is alot. I was looking into weight savings and more HP as well.
I've found some threads on swapping the Gen1 airboxes w/ the Gen2's, they hold more air.
I've also found some fiberglass gastanks for around $700.00, which I think would shed alot of weight off.
I'm also going to put on a set of GSXR1k wheels and maybe get a aluminum subframe, since it's pretty cheap. Just some stuff to also think about.

It looks cool and most the time you can't see it. There is a clutch cover that is CF that looks equally as cool around $800 or so...but would crack easier than the stock / aftermarket clutch covers. If you are at the point where cutting the weight off the plastic parts is the biggest gain then likley money does not matter anyways. It looks cool and sounds like not that many people have one.

It's funny how many people are quick to say the airbox doesn't work or its a waste of money but no one has it on their bike to test it at the track or dyno. If money is not an issue and you are looking for every advantage then it's worth it. Everyone told me that the "Seal, Ram Air Tubes" by Cycle Tricks didn't work or was a waste of money but this was one of the best mods I ever did along with plugging the drain tube at the bottom of the airbox. I increased by box pressure to .81 bar at a DA of 5925 - amazing. That night I ran 2.5 more MPH on the big end and shaved .11 off my time. At the traps, that rocket was pulling so hard, can't believe it. Think about it, the box is completely sealed with air being rammed in at 146 MPH, the air has only one way in and one way out (through the motor). Trust me, I literally have tried everything and probably every combination with countless number of hours on the dyno and track. Just my two cents but I'll probably try the airbox soon but I need to get the internal volume capacity stat first and compare that to stock.

It's funny how many people are quick to say the airbox doesn't work or its a waste of money but no one has it on their bike to test it at the track or dyno. If money is not an issue and you are looking for every advantage then it's worth it. Everyone told me that the "Seal, Ram Air Tubes" by Cycle Tricks didn't work or was a waste of money but this was one of the best mods I ever did along with plugging the drain tube at the bottom of the airbox. I increased by box pressure to .81 bar at a DA of 5925 - amazing. That night I ran 2.5 more MPH on the big end and shaved .11 off my time. At the traps, that rocket was pulling so hard, can't believe it. Think about it, the box is completely sealed with air being rammed in at 146 MPH, the air has only one way in and one way out (through the motor). Trust me, I literally have tried everything and probably every combination with countless number of hours on the dyno and track. Just my two cents but I'll probably try the airbox soon but I need to get the internal volume capacity stat first and compare that to stock.

I had the first Carbonfiber airbox that was made by A-tech of Japan years ago. I tested it on the dyno,track and on a flow bench I saw no gains over the stock airbox..... BTW I designed and make the Ramair seals that are on your bike.

Last edited:
That is great information about the A-Tech airbox, I'll stay away from that one but this new airbox looks and has the feel that some engineering went into the design. If anyone has tested this please let us know but also let us know what your set up is - that makes a difference.

Gixx1300R, you are the man for making such a simple product; it has made a signifcant difference in my set up. If I knew then what I know now about how your product really performs, I would have paid 4 times the amount I paid from Schnitz. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back