car tire gurus, fill me in

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
time to replace the bald, crappy, chinese ripoff Wanli tires. they handled great! I want the best handling tires I can get with grip, sidewall strength / corning top priority. Forget rain or snow, I want to RAIL all the time.

tire rack has the Goodyear Eagle F1 at the top of the heap. If I didn't know a bunch of you speed freaks here, I'd go with that. They are pricey, great on all levels, and I can't find anything better.

Agreed?

It's for a TIGHTLY SPRUNG normal engined Mazd Miata.

Top Priorities: Grip, corning stability [stiff sidwall], grip, and grip
Would be nice: noise level, general road comfort
Couldn't care less: wear, price, water/snow
eagle_f1.jpg

December Car and Driver: Rates eleven performance tires...GY Eagle F1 on top. From there, descending order:
Continental ContisportContact 2
Yokahama Advan Neova AD07
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
Toyo Proxis T1R
Bridgestone Potenza REO50A
BFG GForce T/A KD
Kumho Ecsta MX

Interesting article because it rates the tires overall, but some are obviousely better wet vs. dry, etc. The Goodyear was outstanding in the wet, but the Yokahama smoked it in the dry tests. I had F1's on the Vette....outstanding grip, but noisy as heck. Mine were run-flats, however, and I understand that they are noisier than the standard type. I ran a set of the P Zero's on a Z3 roadster...stuck like glue, wore out in about 15k miles.

Thanks! Great info. I used Pirelli on car too, also stuck but also WORE SO FAST. I think I will skip them this time. Your F1's handle tightly on turning and such? High speed is not an issue either, prollay never seen over 100

I'm looking at the Toyo T1R or the Michelin PS2 on my Vette. Both will last longer than the GY F1, and are just as good for dry cornering. I agree that the GY F1 EMT is too noisy, and it wears too fast. I've had Toyo tires on several other cars, and I've always had good luck with them. One of my neighbors has a 2002 Z06 Vette, that he put Michelin PS2's on and he really likes them over the GY's. Happy cornering.
biggrin.gif

Thanks!  Great info.  I used Pirelli on car too, also stuck but also WORE SO FAST.  I think I will skip them this time.  Your F1's handle tightly on turning and such?  High speed is not an issue either, prollay never seen over 100
the F1'a were really, really good on the front for turn in, feedback, etc...hard to say how they would compare for your application.....vette put big hp to the rears, but had traction and stability control, and I never really pushed the car in the "competition driving" mode, so I don't know how much notice they would give you before letting the rear step out. Seems that a Miata is going to be much more neutral, maybe even prone to a bit of understeer, so something that lets loose in a smooth, controlled manner might be a better choice than a tire with monster grip that steps out very suddenly....that's what I liked about the Pirelli's on the Z3...very predictable loss of grip, could easily use throttle to bring the back around or get out of the gas to let them regain...never seemed real "jerky" or "snatchy" as they began to slide or regained full grip.

Back