Car Audio Buffs

Projekt

Registered
I decided that my recently purchased old school wagon needs some THUMP!!! A pair of door speakers just don't do it for me unlike the system in my other car (Fiesta)
The raw materials...
1000W two channel pioneer amp (bridged to 380RMS single)

Pioneer 12" Sub will support 400W RMS

Pair of Pioneer 4 ways

The initial base built of MDF and wood screws I had the guy at the woodworking section cut the panels for this on the instore cabinet/wall saw

Continued in next post...

This is the base section with the areas for the Mids cutout and mounted.

Next is my template for marking and cutting the hole for the sub.

My markings for locating the BandPass enclosure..

The general positioning dry run.

A view of the Sub mounted prior to closing it in..

Then you have the effective product

The thing needs a couple of panels to close off the side areas. I plan to build doors to close off the areas for storage use.. I will make sure that the doors are strapped solidly so as to prevent rattles...
I used a ton of 3.5mm by 40mm woodscrews to cinch it down and make it rattle and buzz proof. Then I used a product similar to liquid nails to seal up all of the seams. I needs to finish up the Amp installation and Neon lamp, not to mention applying a finish. I plan to paint it instead of using speaker carpet. Otherwise I could use vynil to upholster it...

Interesting that you chose to complete enclose the sub. Make sure you show us the trial fit in the wagon.
biggrin.gif

+1 on posting the finished product.

Band pass will give you the loudest pound with minimal power.

Make sure you dont forget to take the time and get the quality of good wiring.

looks good I have built a lot of boxes just not a big fan of bandpass enclosiers prefer slot ported boxes because they have less problems with the subs burning up

Is this going the vibrate or rattle your chest when you are sitting in the car in front of you at a light with the windows closed?? Is it one of those systems? Or just loud?

(heavybusa @ Sep. 10 2006,15:43) +1 on posting the finished product.

Band pass will give you the loudest pound with minimal power.

Make sure you dont forget to take the time and get the quality of good wiring.
Got'cha on the wiring. Using only all of the best shielded audio cable and 2x4 metric speaker wire. I also have a 60 amp inline automotive fuse with a large power cable.

If it compares proportionately with the 10" Bandpass in my Fiesta this thing is going to knock some dentures loose.

(spkerhed @ Sep. 10 2006,18:54) looks good I have built a lot of boxes just not a big fan of bandpass enclosiers prefer slot ported boxes because they have  less problems with the subs burning up
I don't foresee it burning up as I am not going to run it competition style for severe duty. If I do so, I would install somekind of cooling system to prevent that.

LQQkn good there Pro, and from the lQQks it'll probably lift your azz up outta your seat when you twist up the volume.
I love my dual 12 bandpass box I built a few years ago, but its a beyootch when I have to take it out of the rear hatch area.
Also are you using a secondary deep cycle battery in your setup ?

(Rhythm @ Sep. 10 2006,23:58) LQQkn good there Pro, and from the lQQks it'll probably lift your azz up outta your seat when you twist up the volume.
I love my dual 12 bandpass box I built a few years ago, but its a beyootch when I have to take it out of the rear hatch area.
The car has a diesel engine with the accompanying large battery. The battery is a 95-100 AMP hour battery that is about 20x10 inches or larger. It has enough capacity to run the system at it's peak for an extended period but that volume would be loud enough to DJ for a small club. So I'll save my hearing and not crank it all of the time..

(Projekt @ Sep. 11 2006,01:56)
(Rhythm @ Sep. 10 2006,23:58) LQQkn good there Pro, and from the lQQks it'll probably lift your azz up outta your seat when you twist up the volume.
The car has a diesel engine with the accompanying large battery. The battery is a 95-100 AMP hour battery that is about 20x10 inches or larger.  It has enough capacity to run the system at it's peak for an extended period but that volume would be loud enough to DJ for a small club. So I'll save my hearing and not crank it all of the time..

Just wear some earplugs and feel the Rhythm, Playa.
super.gif

As for the secondary in your case it would serve as back up (insurance) if you do decide to host a parking lot party. Allowing you to bump @ maxium output with your wagon turned off for an extended time. And not having to worry if she'll crank over when its time to jet outta there. Just an option you might wanna consider partna.

" Also I dont know if your stock battery is a deep cycle type but a deep cycle bat is made to handle repetitive
discharge and recharging. Not as with your regular type battery."

My .02

Yes I understand deep cell technology, I work in Electrical Engineering and communications. They are used on boats and motorhomes to run appliances for several hours then get recharged as you drive... Your engine management battery doesn't feel a thing.

(Projekt @ Sep. 11 2006,01:44) If it compares proportionately with the 10" Bandpass in my Fiesta this thing is going to knock some dentures loose.
You mean this Fiesta

fordfiesta2.JPG

We need pics!!!

This is my pimped out Fiesta. I did it myself. It was a black standard rusty car when I got it. There are newer pics to take as I slammed it two weeks ago on a 40mm (1 and 3/4") drop then I got clear turn signal lenses and the back lights are "Altezza" style...

Like I said this thing has an amp'd single 10" audiobahn bandpass that thumps your lungs loose.

(Projekt @ Sep. 10 2006,22:46)
(spkerhed @ Sep. 10 2006,18:54) looks good I have built a lot of boxes just not a big fan of bandpass enclosiers prefer slot ported boxes because they have  less problems with the subs burning up
I don't foresee it burning up as I am not going to run it competition style for severe duty. If I do so, I would install somekind of cooling system to prevent that.
cooling wont help you need a banpass crossover to eliminate bass notes below where the box is tunned then you can beat the hell out of it with no worries
super.gif

(spkerhed @ Sep. 10 2006,21:54) looks good I have built a lot of boxes just not a big fan of bandpass enclosiers prefer slot ported boxes because they have  less problems with the subs burning up
+1 you move more air with an open box which equals harder hit . Bandpas is more for vib then for boom..You can take a descent single 15 and a open box with a good amp and boom all over a banpass . But man that is a cool box .If everything fits right either carpet it to same color of car or fiberglass it that will seal any air leaks .And if you dont get the sound you want nothing to just drilling some ports in the right place..And that baby will hump..

So I stuck it in the car... It fits well in its trial fitting. I wired it all in and had a little trouble with the amp since I wired it bridged incorrectly so I am about to go correct that. I don't think that pics will be any good since I still have to remove the rear seat so that it goes were it should on the shelf that supports the seat bottom. The fullness of sound coming from the rear Mids is wonderful. The highs are sharp and rich... I just have to tune the enclosure since I am getting a resonance from the port. I may have to seal it up with some more superfix... I'll keep you all updated.

Back