Captain America

det45

Registered
Does anyone know if anyone ever located one of the original Captain America harley's from the 1969 Easy Rider movie? I love that bike!!!!! :thumbsup:

There were 2 of them. One was DESTROYED during filming and the other was stolen and as far as I know never recovered.

Sorry, just did a check. The bike that was "crashed" in the filming, was rebuilt by Dan Haggerty who helped Fonda build both bikes the first time around. He sold it at auction in 1996. That is the only one left of the 2 Captain america's and the 2 Billy Bikes.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:
There were 2 of them. One was DESTROYED during filming and the other was stolen and as far as I know never recovered.

Sorry, just did a check. The bike that was "crashed" in the filming, was rebuilt by Dan Haggerty who helped Fonda build both bikes the first time around. He sold it at auction in 1996. That is the only one left of the 2 Captain america's and the 2 Billy Bikes.

Hope that answers your question.

Correct, except there was a back up for each motorcycle thus there were 4 of them (2 Billy's & 2 Capt. America's) and 3 were stolen. The only original surviving Captain America bike is in the National Motrocycle Museum in Anamosa, IA.

Check out any Easy Rider event..there is usually a replica on display.

Correct, except there was a back up for each motorcycle thus there were 4 of them (2 Billy's & 2 Capt. America's) and 3 were stolen. The only original surviving Captain America bike is in the National Motrocycle Museum in Anamosa, IA.

I did say there were 2 of each. And the one in Animosa is a replica just like the one in the Harley Museum is also a replica.

The motorcycles for the film, based on hardtail frames and Panhead engines, were designed and built by chopper builders Cliff Vaughs and Ben Hardy, following ideas of Peter Fonda, and handled by Tex Hall and Dan Haggerty during shooting.

In total, four former police bikes were used in the film. The 1949, 1950 and 1952 Harley Davidson Hydraglide bikes were purchased at an auction for US$ 500 (equivalent to approx. US$ 2500 at 2007 currency rates). Each bike had a backup to make sure that shooting could continue in case one of the old machines failed or got wrecked accidentally. One "Captain America" was demolished in the final scene, while the other three were stolen and probably taken apart before their significance as movie props became known. The demolished bike was rebuilt by Dan Haggerty and shown in a museum. He sold it at an auction in 2001. Many other replicas have been built since the film’s release.

Hopper and Fonda hosted a wrap party for the movie and then realised they hadn't shot the final campfire scene. Thus, it was shot after the bikes had already been stolen, which is why they are not visible in the background as in the other campfire scenes.

The motorcycles for the film, based on hardtail frames and Panhead engines, were designed and built by chopper builders Cliff Vaughs and Ben Hardy, following ideas of Peter Fonda, and handled by Tex Hall and Dan Haggerty during shooting.

In total, four former police bikes were used in the film. The 1949, 1950 and 1952 Harley Davidson Hydraglide bikes were purchased at an auction for US$ 500 (equivalent to approx. US$ 2500 at 2007 currency rates). Each bike had a backup to make sure that shooting could continue in case one of the old machines failed or got wrecked accidentally. One "Captain America" was demolished in the final scene, while the other three were stolen and probably taken apart before their significance as movie props became known. The demolished bike was rebuilt by Dan Haggerty and shown in a museum. He sold it at an auction in 2001. Many other replicas have been built since the film’s release.

Hopper and Fonda hosted a wrap party for the movie and then realised they hadn't shot the final campfire scene. Thus, it was shot after the bikes had already been stolen, which is why they are not visible in the background as in the other campfire scenes.

Yep, in "Motor Cyclist" interview with Dennis Hopper this month!

http://www.motorcycletravelonline.com/national_motorcycle_museum.htm
I did say there were 2 of each. And the one in Animosa is a replica just like the one in the Harley Museum is also a replica.

Lurch,
The one in Anamosa is suppose to be one of the original 2 Captain America bikes. Dan Haggerty supposedly purchased it and it was restored and then found its way to the the museum, is this correct?

http://www.motorcycletravelonline.com/national_motorcycle_museum.htm

Last edited:
I am not kidding! I would love to purchase a replica Captian American Harley! Is there anyone out there who knows where one is for sale and/or can be made without going into the poor house. Man that bike is the coolest I've ever seen, a true American Icon!!!!! As matter of fact I would be willing to throw in my Gen 2 Busa and my 08 VN900 custom as part of the deal!!!!:bowdown::thumbsup::please:

I live about 80 miles from Anamosa were this bike is, I have seen it a few times in person, if you ever get a chance to go to the bike museum take it, you will not be disapointed

Back