Cap needs some networking help

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
OK folks... here it goes....

I need to set up a VPN from an XP machine to an xp machine...

I have a PPTP VPN connection set up now and I am using MPPE with 128bit but it does not meet the security I need.

I need to run this VPN with two factor authentication which means a username and pass and a certificate... Not just any certificate I need it to be a self approved cert not a paid one....

Anyone out there have a config like this? At the end of the day I need this:

Windows XP to Windows XP using L2tp or IPSEC with a certificate or key, no passphrase......

Uggg

Yeah I have to roll this solution out to 5000 locations.... Sooooo purchasing is out of teh question... I could throw hardware at it all day but I need a Apollo 13 solution here...

Ok boys can we make this fit into this to do that

Hey Ron, are you familiar with Cisco boxes?
I have a Cisco 1720 laying around... I'm too lazy to pull a book off the shelf to see if that can be implemented on just a 1720.

Captain, if this box will work for you, I'm happy to donate it.

From
Cisco 1721 and Cisco 1720 Modular Access Routers [Cisco 1700 ...

Security—The Cisco 1721 supports hardware-assisted wire-speed Triple Digital Encryption Standard IP Security (3DES IPSec) VPN encryption (using optional VPN module), a Cisco IOS Software-based stateful inspection firewall, and an intrusion detection system (IDS) that allows customers to keep their data safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
cap, pm me your number if you want. im a systems mgr and can have my network\vpn guy call you tomorrow if you want

5000?? Ew! Don't know how you would license that. I've not tried these, but heard of them:
|MG| Securepoint Personal Firewall & VPN Client 3.7.1
dunno bout this one:
|MG| Outpost Firewall Free 1.0.1817
I know there is more out there...

I've found the XP built in VPN "good enough" in most cases, but I fear your requirement of meeting your security and needing 5000 clients cancel out any GOOD free options.
Would an additional free firewall help? Like Zonelabs or something?

Cap let me look into it a little further. if it is 5000 then yeah, a hardware solution would be very expensive..

That's a lot of users. The windows XP VPN won't work for you? What about having ONE sign on for everyone? Will that VPN sync with Active Directory reducing managment load? How are all those people on the network?

They are 5000 smaller networks not one big one... there will be 5000 vpns

any more details on this project? there are smaller, free VPNs out there for gamers and such that might work

how is it you land these outrageous projects? Windows VPN has never been very robust in the first place..

Yeah, it's what I do.....

Your gonna like this one....

So to use l2tp or EAP you have to have a cert right, well since Xp doesnt make certs I would have to make them on a 2003 server machine then import them... what a pain, then i would have to do this same thing every year.

OR

I could install something like Freesshd and set up a session of PUTTY to that XP machine and tunnel RDP through the SSH session. I configured two networks this way today and it was flawless.

There is an application out there that can bolt on to a terminal server (XP is not) that will make RDP secured but it doesnt work on XP so I ended up doing the above....

On a better note I bought 1500 copies of Redhat ES5 today!

OK folks... here it goes....

I need to set up a VPN from an XP machine to an xp machine...

I have a PPTP VPN connection set up now and I am using MPPE with 128bit but it does not meet the security I need.

I need to run this VPN with two factor authentication which means a username and pass and a certificate... Not just any certificate I need it to be a self approved cert not a paid one....

Anyone out there have a config like this? At the end of the day I need this:

Windows XP to Windows XP using L2tp or IPSEC with a certificate or key, no passphrase......

Uggg

What is that? German?!? :laugh::rofl:
My total expertise amounts to hitting the "more" button to get more smileys! I know, pointless, but I just had to :2cents: I know, I need to quit:40__s: :lol:

Linux does this but I think it is through my third party back end.. keys only, no passwords.. Still requires the key be distributed however..

I can do a little checking on it if you like.. The penguin does do some things well..

Linux does this but I think it is through my third party back end.. keys only, no passwords.. Still requires the key be distributed however..

I can do a little checking on it if you like.. The penguin does do some things well..

I could do it in seconds with a linux box but I have an existing base of 5000 locations that already have XP... Moving OS's is not an option...

Back