Cap needs some input...

I have no clue who is being talked about. And I have been a member here awhile. I don't come here everyday so I don't see the daily examples. But the people I saw months ago acting out of line, are the same people I see doing so now.

I guess that would depend on your definition of acting out of line. The member I'm referring to HAD to be the person telling a Newbie that his track day lines were wrong. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who that was...

I guess that would depend on your definition of acting out of line. The member I'm referring to HAD to be the person telling a Newbie that his track day lines were wrong. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who that was...

Still don't know who you are talking about. But let's use that as an example. Telling someone that their lines are wrong on the track can be done like this: Hey speaking from experience as someone who does X times at track, I have found that I use different lines than you do, and here is what I find works for me......Or was it..... Hey you asshat don't you have a clue how to find a line?

Same message gets sent, 2 different ways.

I'm glad I don't know who you guys are talking about. That would definitely spook off a newb that isn't used to forums. I would just brush it off as being a-hats and keep it moving. However, I have noticed that on some forums the bashing of newbs is like the norm. I have an account with one in particular and if you haven't been a member forever, you are completely bashed by all those older members. So, I don't visit that site any longer.

i think the difference between '06 and now is the economy...i would hazard to guess that many of the members on here were doing better financially in '06 than they are today...i would guess if we had the exact same members on right now that we had seven years ago, we could find a lot of them discussing job losses, upside down mortgages on homes, less discretionary spending money, etc...i think the reason we don't have as many discussions about home renovations, hot rods, expensive vacations, and other such topics is because they aren't happening...a lot of people are trying to stretch that last dollar until next payday

i don't have any instant answers for how to fix this except a few opinions that tend to the political side so i'll just keep them to myself :laugh: i'm on here about 350 days/year and am not planning on going anywhere...btw, i'm not a cop or military, i refuse to always wear my gear, i don't personally do all the maintenance on my bike, and Cap still makes me be a moderator so i guess i can be the poster child for everyone that feels like they don't quite fit in :thumbsup:

I think the whole site went to hell when they started letting Kawasaki owners be moderators.. :whistle:

:laugh:

I been here a longggggg time, and even though I may not have thousands of post I'm still here. There is a reason, there is no other place like the org on the net period. I find sometimes that the quality of the material put out there and how folks perceive it is the draw. You have to keep them baited up and interested. Suzuki needs to really give us something to talk about and get excited in again. The new era of take and never give has really hurt the boards not facebook in my opinion. I think the decline of activities is just due to people's attitudes. When family gets dysfunctional you intervene and get all in order. Captain time to put the smack down and draw your family back together. Some family you can't do nothing for but, I will always support you, the org, and any true worthy member. The days of helping each other needs to come back and supporting those from within just like their family again. This use to be one of the tightest knit boards out there. Scammers were very few cause we ousted them and if they sidestepped and rejoined we ousted them again. Family taking care of family. It's the hardest thing for me is when you tell a guy how to fix something right or where to get the correct item or information to solve a problem and he lashes back at you has kept me from posting alot. I don't know everything but it takes alot out of me to deal with that kind of attitude. I found I had started slowly removing myself from my everyday solve every problem ways on here. I focused more on putting that time back into paying customers work in house. I benefited from it financially but lost lots of the fun I use to have and the people I joked with. I seemed to become a recluse, lol and that's not me. Cap keep plugging away, admins and support staff keep doing what you doing, your doing a great job. The reward is the Org is here to stay and will continue to be what we make it. I love this place.

Cap,

First as forums go - i think the .org is among the best of any genre not just motorcycles. It is well run and is perhaps the only one I will open without hesitation at work. I know the content will not compromise my status at work.

It's a great resource for the Busa and motorcycles in general. I don't think the political discussions are problematic. I think they are generally very respectful, but religion and politics are sure ways to expose hard felt differences here and in life generally. I know a few folks have signed off for good because of heated discussions but that's life. I don't think you can avoid alienating some folks no matter how respectfully an argument is made.

Issues the org faces:

People have a certain amount of entertainment time. As stated - the org is fighting for a portion of that time and the competition is fierce and growing. Hundreds of cable channels, streaming content, facebook,twitter, youtube, etc.

An aging one topic forum. The Busa has been around for going on 14 years and not much in the way change recently with Suzuki or the motorcycle industry in general.

I think that many folks stop in (not necessarily log on) for info and a laugh and move on. As mentioned I think there is a contraction in people taking time to post and/or a dilution of posted content. Folks are probably posting as much but it is spread over more outlets. FB, Twitter, google+, youtube, News blogs, this forum and that. It is true the more unique posts you have the more replies you get. If post are down, replies and extended conversations decrease.

For what it's worth - I believe that all sites including the giants FB etc. are seeing a slowing and dilution of participation on their sites.

In the end - If the busa goes away what would the .org be left with. Remember - horse whip manufacturers. I believe the .org needs to restate is mission. Even though the conversation is infinitely diverse perhaps a wider statement and emphasis on the lifestyle of motorcyclists. I've always been amazed by the wealth of information and wisdom on the forum.

I think keeping and adding members is all about content. In the end it takes me a half hour a week to read the forum.

I think encouraging folks to write real stories about their rides, adventures, wrenching and lives generally would go along way to adding to the thoughtfulness of the .org. Maybe on-going photo, video and writing contests. Just for bragging rights. What I did with my family and/or Busa this summer. A real story and with pictures and a message.

Many new comers are met with try a "search". Maybe someone had a new thought or way to address a problem. Maybe there is a new product. I guess maybe taking the time to restate an answer or posting a link to the info would be a little more civil. A simple push of the like button would encourage folks to post more too.

In the end - the things I find most interesting are people telling me about their lives. I like seeing pictures of the shed someone built in their back yard or the food they cooked last night or the picture of their kid at graduation or the solar panel contraption they've assembled. I think it's about our lives and the thread that runs through all of it is our love of motorcycles.

Many new comers are met with try a "search". Maybe someone had a new thought or way to address a problem. Maybe there is a new product. I guess maybe taking the time to restate an answer or posting a link to the info would be a little more civil. A simple push of the like button would encourage folks to post more too.

This has always bothered me. In the amount of time it takes a seasoned orgster to type this, they could have done the search for the newcomer. This will reflect us as a whole way better than complaining they didn't search.

I'll do my part Cap. I'll start posting more of my BS from Facebook here on the org. I'll try to get Foto Friday and the like started here instead of Facebook. :beerchug:

Whether you like it or not. :laugh:

I completely agree that IT and solutions have changed, we have changed forums 3 times in 8 years and increased servers 4 times... So we have grown and improved, each time adding features and options (Some features liked, some not :) ).. What I can tell you though is that in 2006 - 08 time frame the site was just bustling with members, not just bike things.. Folks posting up weekend projects adding decks and asking for questions, stories, discussions about everything just like you would find sitting at a table having coffee with old friends, I miss that...

cap

As a new user I haven't seen much that is not bike related so didn't realize that sort of thing was welcome here. For instance, being a motorcycle community I didn't think you all would care that I just bought a new Chevy Volt (which I love by the way). While I am on Facebook I don't consider myself a heavy user. I just bought a Busa from a guy in another state (eBay deal) and haven't worked out all the shipping, etc so I'm not posting up pics yet. I have however come here every day for the last month and learned a TON of great information. So I'd really hate to see the Org go away. I've looked for Busa groups on FB and have not found much. Other biker forums / social media sites that I've been to just seem a little to far "out there" for me. The community here seems very strong and very real from what I've seen.

As long as there is new content I'll be coming back. I'm sure I will have questions

Oh, and before you guys tell me to fly out and ride the new bike back I just have to say it's almost 1500 miles and I haven't ridden since late 2011. I had major knee surgery in 2012 and sold my Sportster. I'm ready to get back on a bike but not ready for that to be my maiden voyage. :)

Not a FB user, I like it here came for the bike info. I found I like many of the sub forums. Thanks for being here.

i recently joined..actually ive come across this site multiple times. back when i had my r1 just to read stuff. now that im buying a busa ive made an account and im trying to get my post count up as high as i possible can. i love this place and i think if we could tag people and had a databasa of mods and dyno numbers for people to reference. i know ive talked to quite a few ppl that said they would like to have a place where they can go and look up and compare the differences that the different exhaust systems and air filters and things like that make on our bikes. also maybe we can clean up some of the sub forums my first few times on the site i didnt make it past some of those long list of stickys because i thought those were the only post that were up to date. Should make a section for all the stickys for people to go and reference.

also look into tapatalk...i would use this site more than facebook (not on the fb pg btw) i would just have a much easier time using tapatalk. this v bulletin stuff is killing me. i love tapatalk so if you can make that happen i will love you long time. if you dont know what tapatalk is its a mobile forum based app that lets you use forums on your phone in a simple platform instead on on line using the full size setup

I am a member on the org site on FB and it doesnt hold a candle to the real Org. Yeah the FB site is quick and easy for pictures but you dont see any stories being told. If real information is the end goal, FB is not the answer. I have been a member for just over 4 years and I will be here for many more to come.

I think the Org is a great place as it is. It would be nice to tag others in posts to give them notification but i really dont feel its a must. Personally, i love the ads from site sponsors, but hate the Google targeted ads. I would really like to see them go away. I know that donations are really a sticky subject but I know that there are a large number of memebers that have donated in the past and would donate again. I have donated but at some point i lost my little spinning donation symbol.... and i would really like it back - even if that means another donation.

Still don't know who you are talking about. But let's use that as an example. Telling someone that their lines are wrong on the track can be done like this: Hey speaking from experience as someone who does X times at track, I have found that I use different lines than you do, and here is what I find works for me......Or was it..... Hey you asshat don't you have a clue how to find a line?

Same message gets sent, 2 different ways.

Agreed! It's funny how people act differently after they get comfortable. When they are new they work to get along with others, as time rolls in they treat others very different than what they expect to be treated then try to justify their actions but stating "Thats just how I am".... We all should work to get along.. we are adults after all and are supposed to be able to get our thoughts across without being belittling or condescending.. Sometimes you just have to turn and walk away knowing you have presented your side of a discussion.....

cap

also look into tapatalk...i would use this site more than facebook (not on the fb pg btw) i would just have a much easier time using tapatalk. this v bulletin stuff is killing me. i love tapatalk so if you can make that happen i will love you long time. if you dont know what tapatalk is its a mobile forum based app that lets you use forums on your phone in a simple platform instead on on line using the full size setup

We used to support Tapatalk, but ran into issues ... Now, we support Forum Runner - you can download that from your favorite App Store. Very similar to Tapatalk. (I use it all the time on my iPhone)

We used to support Tapatalk, but ran into issues ... Now, we support Forum Runner - you can download that from your favorite App Store. Very similar to Tapatalk. (I use it all the time on my iPhone)

I use forum runner 95% of the time to check the org. It loads way better on my phone than the site does. Best app I have and the only one I have paid for

I remember when I was riding my bike and would see another busa rider. I would always ask if they were members of hayabusa.org and would always get the same answer, No. I was wondering if you had a way to contact everyone that buys a new busa and let them know about the site. Maybe sit up something with the dealers to have the reg here. I know when I bought my bike and after a few months ask the dealer if the ever got on this site and they told me they had never heard of it. I don't do the FB thing myself.

I think some cold weather will boost the activity, and it may well be on the way :banghead:. Only so many peeps with Hayabusas. I do suspect that a broader Suzuki or motorcycle theme would help boost activity, however too much can be a take away. "Be careful what you ask for you just might get it"??? I think the place is a GEM as it is. When I go to some other sites there are so many threads that active threads get pushed away too soon for any continuity. Too few & you have a dead zone. Did I mention that I like this place? I notice that some responders are not so fond of the guns and politics stuff, we used to keep it stuffed away in a folder, but now I think everyone goes to the recent posts & all is there to see. I like the broad categories. No members should be considered more important than the newest, the ORG resource is first & foremost to get them safely up to speed with the mighty Hayabusa! Too bad spell check does not recognize it..:laugh:

Back