Canyon Dancer

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
Looks good, just waiting for the opportunity to use it.
Have a question though after doing a mock-up on the install.

The inside diameter of the bar sleeve is much larger than the Busa grip. When you pull down on the strap, the slop between the sleeve and the grip pinches the sleeve inward causing the tie down strap to move in towards the cowl. Curious if anyone has come up with a way to fill in the void between the sleeve and grip. I think this could move the tie down strap out from the cowl by an inch or better.

Thanks for any suggestions
Bill

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

CAn you coneect the other end of the strap any higher than it appears to be going?

I run the strap of the dancer on top of my grip and I have eye bolts mounted on the top rail of the trailer i use. This keeps the strap from contacting the plastic.

(busa_bill @ May 26 2007,12:09) Looks good, just waiting for the opportunity to use it.
Have a question though after doing a mock-up on the install.

The inside diameter of the bar sleeve is much larger than the Busa grip. When you pull down on the strap, the slop between the sleeve and the grip pinches the sleeve inward causing the tie down strap to move in towards the cowl. Curious if anyone has come up with a way to fill in the void between the sleeve and grip. I think this could move the tie down strap out from the cowl by an inch or better.

Thanks for any suggestions
Bill

ImageShack Links Do Not Work
bill....i've been using a canyon dancer for years on my past several bikes..and the busa's clip-on style bars are tucked way inboard of the fairing..therefore?..you can't use a canyon dancer to a tie-down base point that is striaght down or at extremely shallow angles....you need a tiedown point that is at a steeper angle...pulling more forward and to the side ratrher than straight down.

Did i confuse you real good now or did ya get that?..hope it's helps as other than that simple non-issue?...i've been using my C.D. for years now and love it...way easier to load up..next step up would be a baxley sport chock.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Blue - have you ever had the strap slip off the bar end?

Bill - understand where you are coming from. I thought by correcting what seems to be a universal design issue, I could decrease the strap angle.
all_coholic.gif

While we are throwing tips out there, here is another for you. Get PVC tubing large enough to go over your grips before putting the canyon dancer on. This way when you strap it down you are not pulling against the throttle side in one place. The load is spread across the throttle housing and will not pull the throttle against the stop.
beerchug.gif

Wrap the strap around the bar end outside of the canyon dancer. It will move the strap out an inch or so. You still need to make sure you arent rubbing.

(busa_bill @ May 26 2007,17:29) Blue - have you ever had the strap slip off the bar end?

Bill - understand where you are coming from. I thought by correcting what seems to be a universal design issue, I could decrease the strap angle.  
all_coholic.gif
I have never had that happen. Used them 3 times so far. When I got the bike and twice to Arkansas.

You can move the collars when you want them to one side or the other.

I have to loosen one side completely before I can get the other side off when I am unloading.

(BusaWhipped @ May 26 2007,18:05) Wrap the strap around the bar end outside of the canyon dancer.  It will move the strap out an inch or so.  You still need to make sure you arent rubbing.
Or Here's an idea .... You could ride it!
poke.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(tlrbandit @ May 26 2007,16:15) While we are throwing tips out there, here is another for you. Get PVC tubing large enough to go over your grips before putting the canyon dancer on. This way when you strap it down you are not pulling against the throttle side in one place. The load is spread across the throttle housing and will not pull the throttle against the stop.
beerchug.gif
Wouldn't that let it slip even more? Maybe if you put some skateboard tape on the outside of the PVC pipe or?

Just a thought.

A steeper angle for tie-down is key, but I always wrap the strap with a cotton towel to make sure it doesn't rub.

They won't slip off because one side pulls the other tight. I have used the PVC tubing over the grips for the last 5 years without 1 problem. That's loaded 2x's a month for 2 years and once a month for the last 3 years. Never had a problem.

Back