cant seem to sync throttle bodies....

Re: cant seem to sync throttle bodies....I hate this bike and will burn it probably..

In addition to the throttle body sync, sounds to me like you need to check the throttle position sensor. There is a how to on here if you do the search. Could be a help for the idle problem.

Last edited:
Re: cant seem to sync throttle bodies....I hate this bike and will burn it probably..

In addition to the throttle body sync, sounds to me like you need to check the throttle position sensor. There is a how to on here if you do the search. Could be a help for the idle problem.

Be careful doing the sensor adjustment. The bolt is very soft and strips very easy. Fortunately I had the right size bolt laying around in my garage when I did mine.

So where are we brother?
Did you get it working?

measure the chain. Count out 21 pins and put a ruler or venier. The distance between 21 pins is 12.57" any more than that you're chain is stretched and it needs replaced. You can also pull the chain link from the center of the rear sprocket. If you can pull it away from sprocket it's probably bad. Have you checked the adjustment? With bike on side stand it's roughly 1 1/2" measured from the centerline between the front and rear sprockets. Try adjusting and see if you hear that noise. Scar guided me along the first time I worked through some chain issues. Wardie

Here's what I think you need to straighten your idle out.

First off the throttle bodies need to be clean. Take a rag and some carb cleaner and clean all the carbon out from around the throttle bodies and the blades. Once they're totally clean you now can set your base idle and get everything synched up.

Take the air temp sensor out of the airbox and plug it in, plug the map sensor in also since you're using a vacuum tool. Just tee it in, all you want is to keep the computer happy.

Let it warm up until the cooling fan cycles, then adjust your idle to about 1300-1500 RPM. Now you can start synching things up.

The throttle body with the idle screw is base. The others get synched to it, so that's where you start. That's TB number one. Next one over is two, and so on.

Adjust number two until it matches number one, remember number one doesn't move so it's your control. Reset your idle if need be, then match number three to one and two, and reset your idle. Match number four to the others, and tweak your idle. It helps to give a little rev and release between adjustments, but not too much, you'll suck in whatever liquid is in the tubes so watch it.

At this point your throttle bodies are matched to each other. Put everything back to normal and restart it. Now set your idle to about 1150, and you should be golden provided you haven't messed with your TPS. If you or someone else has, or you just want to check it, put a paper clip in the connector in the left rear of the tail. That's a dealer connector and puts in into a base mode.

Start it and look at your clock. It'll say COO with a line off to the left like so -COO which is OK, no changes needed. If it's _COO or the line is on top then you need to adjust it until it's in the middle. Once there lower the tank and give it a test ride.

As for the suspension get your OM out and reset everything back to stock. You're about the weight it's set for from the factory. We can tackle getting it closer later.

Hope this helps, good luck.

First of all, I just want to say this group of people is the reason I kept the bike...its been said many times but this place is phenomenal when someone needs help.. truly a testament to everyone on here. After cooling down, seeing my girlfriend and hanging with some riding buddies I feel much better and was in better spirits.. I decided to try and soften the forks up.

I never tried that before, only because everything I read said they were too soft on preload even for a 150 lb rider and mentally I thought it rode better as I added preload..but it was a mind trick.

I am up to four lines showing and took down some damping and wow..it rides so much smoother.. I have done this before and said that before..so we will see after a few days, but I am certain it feels better.

I am now determined to make this bike mine and to make it one of the best all around bikes on here. I have decided to finish the job. I already started, so I may as well make busa-ade out of the lemon.

Thank you all so much for your help so far.. I will try the suggestions for tb on thursday! Meanwhile, someone posted the best place to get a chain and sprocket and i cant remember who.. was it charles at street and track or something? Ill have to go back and look.

Last edited:

His description sounds like heavy springs (1.0 or 1.1) with stock valves. There's no amount of adjusting that will fix that it that's what it is.

I strongly disagree with that statement.
Stock valving is actially pretty good and can easily handle heavier oil and 1.1Kg springs. I have exactly that on mine and I love it.

Sounds like you just need to take her somewhere and find out why she is sick. My 05 is smooth as butter on the throttle. I wish I could provide some technical assistance, but I just dont have the knowledge. Are there any tuners in your area?

I would agree completely. I have an 05, and besides some cam chain noise at idle, it purrs. I set my idle at 1500 a couple of years ago, and that is where it stays. It doesn't surge or do anything weird like you are describing.

I learned a long time ago that there are some things that require you to take a bike to a shop where real mechanics with expensive tools and a lot of experience can usually straighten out what is wrong.

BTW: Is this bike new or new to you? You can't blame the bike if someone else abused it before you got it.

Even a dealership should be able to address all the stuff you are describing.

Forgot to add, my bike is much happier idling at 1300-1500.

I strongly disagree with that statement.
Stock valving is actially pretty good and can easily handle heavier oil and 1.1Kg springs. I have exactly that on mine and I love it.

I couldn't get my front end to stop bouncing with 1.0s and stock valving. Maybe rider weight also comes into play, but I'm not the only who's not being able to get the suspension set with that combination.

The throttle body with the idle screw is base. The others get synched to it, so that's where you start. That's TB number one. Next one over is two, and so on.

Adjust number two until it matches number one, remember number one doesn't move so it's your control. Reset your idle if need be, then match number three to one and two, and reset your idle. Match number four to the others, and tweak your idle. It helps to give a little rev and release between adjustments, but not too much, you'll suck in whatever liquid is in the tubes so watch it.

Interesting way of doing it.
Can I ask a question the way I am familiar with it?
If you are sitting on the bike, the leftmost cylinder is #1, so cylinder #4 (has the idle adjuster) is your base.
There are only 3 adjusting screws to balance the bodies.
So if I want to balance #3 (next one to the left of #4 with the idle adjuster) I use the first screw on the right and balance #3.
Then on to #2 with the center screw and then #1 with the leftmost screw.
Is that right?
I will have to try that.
I did as I described with balancing #1 and #2 together with the left screw, then #3 and #4 together with the right screw, and finally both pairs together with the center screw.
Interesting.

I couldn't get my front end to stop bouncing with 1.0s and stock valving. Maybe rider weight also comes into play, but I'm not the only who's not being able to get the suspension set with that combination.

What oil do you have there? I used 10w synt.
I weight 265 geared up. Carozerria wheel is some 5lb lighter. I spent few month setting it up the way I want.
If it`s too bouncy... Set compression to 3 clicks in ( all the way counter clockwise then 3 clicks clockwise)
Set rebound to 7 clicks in) that`s what I have now.

Bottom line.. if it`s still to bouncy increase rebound 1 click at the time. It you set it too much it will start sticking while braking hard in bad pavement. If you exhausted rebound setting and it`s still too bouncy then replace oil for a bit heavier. You can mix fork oil too.
Oil level is critical. +- 0.5 Oz will make big difference.
Oil level MUST be exactly as specified in maintenance manual.

I set sag to 35mm to 25 mm for the twisties.. I marked preload adjusters and it takes me 1 minutes to switch between road and twisties riding. 5 lines showing vs. 3 lines.

Nothing too scientific.. just works for me.

Disclaimer: I`m NOT suspension professional. All those settings works great for my 265 LB azz.

What oil do you have there? I used 10w synt.
I weight 265 geared up. Carozerria wheel is some 5lb lighter. I spent few month setting it up the way I want.
If it`s too bouncy... Set compression to 3 clicks in ( all the way counter clockwise then 3 clicks clockwise)
Set rebound to 7 clicks in) that`s what I have now.

Bottom line.. if it`s still to bouncy increase rebound 1 click at the time. It you set it too much it will start sticking while braking hard in bad pavement. If you exhausted rebound setting and it`s still too bouncy then replace oil for a bit heavier. You can mix fork oil too.
Oil level is critical. +- 0.5 Oz will make big difference.
Oil level MUST be exactly as specified in maintenance manual.

I set sag to 35mm to 25 mm for the twisties.. I marked preload adjusters and it takes me 1 minutes to switch between road and twisties riding. 5 lines showing vs. 3 lines.

Nothing too scientific.. just works for me.

Disclaimer: I`m NOT suspension professional. All those settings works great for my 265 LB azz.

We are about the same weight. Could be a difference in oil weight. I bottomed out the rebound adjusters and still needed more rebond dampening. The stock valves are designed to control the action on stock weight springs in stock weight oil. Adding heavier oil with heavier springs and stock valves makes sense. I went with matching the valves with the springs with stock weight oil. I think the common denominator here is you need to change at least 2 of the 3 things. Only changing 1 will result in a crappy ride.

Adding heavier oil with heavier springs and stock valves makes sense. I went with matching the valves with the springs with stock weight oil. I think the common denominator here is you need to change at least 2 of the 3 things. Only changing 1 will result in a crappy ride.

I agree. but oil is cheaper them new valves ;)

Interesting way of doing it.
Can I ask a question the way I am familiar with it?
If you are sitting on the bike, the leftmost cylinder is #1, so cylinder #4 (has the idle adjuster) is your base.
There are only 3 adjusting screws to balance the bodies.
So if I want to balance #3 (next one to the left of #4 with the idle adjuster) I use the first screw on the right and balance #3.
Then on to #2 with the center screw and then #1 with the leftmost screw.
Is that right?
I will have to try that.
I did as I described with balancing #1 and #2 together with the left screw, then #3 and #4 together with the right screw, and finally both pairs together with the center screw.
Interesting.
That's pretty much the same as the way I do it, just numbered opposite to me. Every screw you adjust changes every screw to it's left, so that's why you have to start with the idle screw then work out from there. You get a better balance tying one in at a time rather than matching two pairs then trying to match the pairs up.

The real key is keeping the idle in check after every tweak, and making sure they all still match after that tweak.

That's pretty much the same as the way I do it, just numbered opposite to me. Every screw you adjust changes every screw to it's left, so that's why you have to start with the idle screw then work out from there. You get a better balance tying one in at a time rather than matching two pairs then trying to match the pairs up.

The real key is keeping the idle in check after every tweak, and making sure they all still match after that tweak.

I'll try that next time, Thanks!

Sorry you are having a such a bad time, but the symptoms your describing could be a dozen different things or combinations of things you haven't even looked at...

Carbs might need rebuilds _ fuel issues before carbs,
Fuel pump shorting, short under acceleration load (wire chafing issues) constriction of fuel lines - was the bike wrecked???
bad or wrong fuel filter
Tank rust - some guys key or a melted plastic bag in the bottom of the tank -some folks hide drugs in gas cap - or who knows what??

Electrical issues - bad/cracked sparks
bad spark boots bad wires
distrubutions wires cracked - shorting under acceleration load...
Right voltage to the spark - coil good?
throttle cable bad impinged - bad pipes and mufflers don't match carb set up are you getting "after fire"

Have you checked cylinders specs... compression... engine block could be warp or damaged

on and on and on

You need help. As it is a used bike the first thing I would determine - has it been wrecked? What after market parts are on the bike - double check that they are they ok on a busa? did they require any tweaks? Then carefully inspect every thing on the bike (break it down). Look for leaks. Look at all the wires - are there any that aren't connected, cracked, chaffed??? Vacuum tubes - replace them all with correct size - its cheap and sometimes hard to see any problems. You get the point. Take a whole cycle approach. Find all the problems.

Good luck,

As motorcycle engines go the busa power plant is generally considered bullet proof and its worth the effort to get it right...

Report back along the way - there is no satisfaction more complete than working through a complicated fix..

I bought a Mustang from a friend that would start but wouldn't run - he got fed up and sold me the car for a $100 - took a summer of weekends a couple hundred bucks to fix up - sold the the car for 8k after painting and re-upolstering in interior in tye dye. I also drove it for 12000 miles! I actually loved the tye dye but I needed the money... Was very proud of the fix and it was great fun...

Last edited:

well, im pretty sure the busa doesnt have carbs brpro..:laugh: But I know you meant Throttle bodies so im just messing with ya...

Everyone else, thank you and im glad it stimulated some suspension debate because that is how we all learn.. I will be trying vac hoses tomorrow... as soon as i can..

On a side note, my little bro (22 years old) decided to send me a suicide text and take all his depression pills.. so tomorrow may have other priorities...... PLEASE PRAY FOR ME AND MY FAMILY, his name is BEAU... its been a rough week and im glad to have good association here.......

oh and he is ok.. i called 911 after my dad called his bluff....

thanks again guys..

He's OK? Then kick his ass for me. That is not cool.

Back