can't seem to get knee on pavement...

on my ducati i dragged a muffler once...2 up...and they were high mounts... was a life or death situation...(unmarked curve on back side of slight hill..total surprise)

Come ON, WE know you dragged the UNDER TAIL mufflers on your 900 series Duc :thumbsup:

You Da MAN :cheerleader:

Of course I dragged my knee on mine while at the Gas Station :thumbsup: ,
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :whistle:, just before my Butt hit the ground from hitting a Fuel Spill :laugh:

Well, it was dragging first :rofl:

It took me 6 trackdays before I finally got my knee down, don't rush or you will crash.

First thing you need to do is have your suspension set up for track riding. Typically costs $20-30 and they take measurements with you in your full riding gear sitting on the bike. If that's not happening, they didn't set up your suspension properly. Suspension is important or you will crash.

Second you need to practice somewhere safe, especially since you have kids. A trackday is best(runout/ambulance/clean surface). Does the ramps your using have guard rails, rocks, trenches? Don't drag knee there!! No way. Only attempt to drag knee on ramps that have smooth runout area to crash into. Parking lot can be pretty safe, but evaluate light poles and how clean the surface is. a lot of parking lots are very dirty.

Third, another reason trackdays are best and a long twisty road is ok, is because they get your tire hot. Not just the center, but the edges of your tire which is very important. You don't want a cold tire crash.

Fourth, body position is all good. But you need enough speed to actually get enough lean angle to drag knee. Like I said, it took me 6 trackdays to reprogram my brain that it was ok to dive into a corner this fast. And I actually screwed up and entered the corner hot( too hot for me) and low and behold the knee is dragging.

Please don't make dragging a knee a priority. Just let it happen, enjoy riding and it will come in time. When I ride on the street and my knee touches down, that's my cue to slow it down. Dragging knee on the street in most cases is not safe, think of where you'll go if you crash. Guard rail, rocks, hill, ravine, into opposing traffic, etc....

Also, I run a 55 profile tire(raises the bike), run very stiff suspension and raised the rear of my bike 1" with dogbones to increase ground clearance. So what you did to your bike will not keep you from dragging knee.

Trackday, trackday, trackday
displayimage.php

Last edited:
Fourth, body position is all good. But you need enough speed to actually get enough lean angle to drag knee. Like I said, it took me 6 trackdays to reprogram my brain that it was ok to dive into a corner this fast. And I actually screwed up and entered the corner hot( too hot for me) and low and behold the knee is dragging.

Yep, first time I drug a knee was in Knock Out at Miller. I got lost on the track and thought Right Hook was Indecision. For those who don't kow the track, Indecision leads into Precision which loosens up into the infield straight. Right Hook leads into Knock Out, a decreasing radius. So I'm rolling on the throttle hard expecting the curve to open up into the straight and then I realized where I was :shocked: I threw her over as hard as I could, and the knee touched down. I don't think I slid off the seat at all on that one. But it's what I needed to figure it out.

yea, i'll take it easy, last thing I want to do his hurt me or my baby (the busa). the real question I had was it just felt like I had enough lean and everything but knee wasn't touching and didn't know if the height of the bike had anything to do with it. It has been lowered 2 front and 2 rear since I got it and I have been to deals gap twice. I was just getting tired of scraping up the fairings because it was lowered and now I raised it back up to what I am pretty sure is stock height. I'm learning and I know i'll get there when everything is right..no real big rush

Raising it up won't prevent you from dragging knee. But at 230lbs, you really need to have your suspension set up. Honestly the front spring needs to be replaced with a stiffer one, but that costs a little.

Back