cant reduce your lbs, listen to this

I think people who eat product with sugar should have to stay outside to eat. I don't want to get any second hand desease because of their consumptions. There are studies out there that shows this, Really.

My insurance is high because of people eating stuff with sugar in it!

I do agree that there are to much sugars in evrything we eat. It's very hard to find products that don't have some kind of sugar in them today. I'm lumping fructose into the sugar catagory...

You can always find someone or some group to say something is bad. Are they wrong, no. I grew up with lead paints, asbestos, dodge ball, and everything else. I'm still hear today to tell the tale. :laugh:

Oh oh. Sin tax the crap outa sugar I say 2000%. We will teach those fatties what's right and wrong..... Actually let's make it illegal that's even better cause really people shouldn't make their own decisions the government is better at it, just ask the IRS.

:p

Personally I would love it if they taxed the heck out of sugary foods, fast foods, Sodas and so on. And in the same token make the healthier foods more accessable money wise and give incentives to small farmers with their local produce stands. Oh and take those bad foods out of public schools. Have junk food available to students, loose your funding!

It's funny my schools had the sugary snacks to purchase and eat. But due to rules at home and the way i was raised I didn't partake but every so often. I didn't get heavy until I was older and started sitting all day at work. And by heavy I am 245 lb ATM and over six foot so not really bad. Start a new gym work out tomorrow :). Am excited.

Anyhow maybe the healthy eating habits should be instilled in the home by parents active in their childrens lives. And not government.

And +1 on finding the local fresh produce and non processed meats also.

is bacon a processed meat??

cause they cant mess with the bacon... i'll go along with everything else... but leave my bacon alone... and i gotta have sugar in coffee... bacon and coffee...yup...coffee and bacon...:laugh:

Yes some bacon is processed. I prefer straight from the butcher bacon that comes from a pig raised by local farmer who uses no chemicals to boost size. That's the best not that crap from Safeway.

To bad the guy we used to get our pigs from is stopping that production to grow medical pot. He's making way more there.

It's funny my schools had the sugary snacks to purchase and eat. But due to rules at home and the way i was raised I didn't partake but every so often. I didn't get heavy until I was older and started sitting all day at work. And by heavy I am 245 lb ATM and over six foot so not really bad. Start a new gym work out tomorrow :). Am excited.

Anyhow maybe the healthy eating habits should be instilled in the home by parents active in their childrens lives. And not government.

And +1 on finding the local fresh produce and non processed meats also.

I was raised the same way and don't really care for sweets, but it is getting harder for parents to actually find anything that isn't loaded with sugar. Also, when you consider that most of these health problems caused by poor lifestyle choices almost directly cause tax payer strain - I think it should be taxed accordingly. There are A LOT of people on medicaid and medicare due to their inability to work related to their poor lifestyle choices.

I agree that the government should have a limited role, but one of the government's roles is to attempt to protect its citizenry. The government protects us from lead paint - why can't they protect us from unhealthy food (which is related to unhealthy being cheaper). I don't think this stuff should be illegal, but just like tobacco - enjoy it fine, but pay for it as well.

Lots of political threads today :laugh: :popcorn:

I was raised the same way and don't really care for sweets, but it is getting harder for parents to actually find anything that isn't loaded with sugar. Also, when you consider that most of these health problems caused by poor lifestyle choices almost directly cause tax payer strain - I think it should be taxed accordingly. There are A LOT of people on medicaid and medicare due to their inability to work related to their poor lifestyle choices.

I agree that the government should have a limited role, but one of the government's roles is to attempt to protect its citizenry. The government protects us from lead paint - why can't they protect us from unhealthy food (which is related to unhealthy being cheaper). I don't think this stuff should be illegal, but just like tobacco - enjoy it fine, but pay for it as well.

Lots of political threads today :laugh: :popcorn:

Maybe they could do some tests when I'm born and plan my entire nutritional life along with appropriate activity for my well being and school and work. This way I can have no personal responsibility and live the way the is deemed best for me.

On another point. My wife and I eat on roughly 250$ a month between the two of us. We eat mostly healthy... Could do better. But after evaluating it would cost us less money to ditch some of our favorite snacks and drinks in favor of a healthier produce item. We choose not to at this point in time. Now granted we have a great grocer right down the street and have the access. This isn't a problem here like it is in the inner city's. Access is key along with a strong knowledge base.

thats what the government wants to do.. tell you whats right and wrong. stop the dependency, ie. social security, welfare, foodstamps, free healthcare... take care of your own. plan your own future, don't think "well, if i don't succeed the government will pick up the slack..."

Maybe they could do some tests when I'm born and plan my entire nutritional life along with appropriate activity for my well being and school and work. This way I can have no personal responsibility and live the way the is deemed best for me.

Or better yet, when you have that heart attack at 41 years of age due to irresponsible health habits and then end up going into heart failure due to losing that much cardiac muscle and then losing your job due to the inability to climb two steps without becoming short of breath and then losing your health insurance due to your inability to work and then your spouse cannot pick you up on her insurance due to pre-existing condition clauses (these still exist) and then you cannot work and cannot provide for your family or buy the medications you really should be taking and then you expect the government to pick up your bill why? ::gasps for air::

Now the US life expectancy plummets because the government doesn't think it should pick up the tab on your mistake (I wouldn't) and you die at the ripe old age of oh... maybe you make it to 43. Heck, lets let ER's refuse treatment again so if you don't have insurance and you can't provide payment up front - you will probably die at the age of 41 and a half due to an episode of flash pulmonary edema secondary to your worsening heart failure secondary to your inability to afford medications secondary to your inability to work or maintain health insurance.

:cheerleader: :easy:

Instead of creating a thoughtful post you go straight to an extreme like that of Gattica - Brilliant! Do you become this melodramatic about seat belt laws and speed limits, or is it just the taxation of high fructose corn syrup mass marketed in today's major food stores?

Or better yet, when you have that heart attack at 41 years of age due to irresponsible health habits and then end up going into heart failure due to losing that much cardiac muscle and then losing your job due to the inability to climb two steps without becoming short of breath and then losing your health insurance due to your inability to work and then your spouse cannot pick you up on her insurance due to pre-existing condition clauses (these still exist) and then you cannot work and cannot provide for your family or buy the medications you really should be taking and then you expect the government to pick up your bill why? ::gasps for air::

Now the US life expectancy plummets because the government doesn't think it should pick up the tab on your mistake (I wouldn't) and you die at the ripe old age of oh... maybe you make it to 43. Heck, lets let ER's refuse treatment again so if you don't have insurance and you can't provide payment up front - you will probably die at the age of 41 and a half due to an episode of flash pulmonary edema secondary to your worsening heart failure secondary to your inability to afford medications secondary to your inability to work or maintain health insurance.

:cheerleader: :easy:

Instead of creating a thoughtful post you go straight to an extreme like that of Gattica - Brilliant! Do you become this melodramatic about seat belt laws and speed limits, or is it just the taxation of high fructose corn syrup mass marketed in today's major food stores?

Nope only when people refuse to take personal responsibility for their actions and instead rely on everyone else to make those decisions for them.

See the two options here? And where does it start and where does it end? My posts are thoughtful, they say that education, parental involvement, and personal responsibility are a better solution to the problem than have government step in and make decisions For you! It also states that if available eating healthy is less expensive than eating crap. How ia that not positive and thoughtful? So I'm against the gov ruling my life sorry that I'm an American.

And ya seatbelt laws are bs. :).

S4L. After looking at your profile I see that u are an ER RN. I see where you are coming from. I bet you see lots of this crap day in and day out. I respect your intentions. I think we could agree that. We may not agree on the political side of this argument, but that a better educated populace would be a great start. I'll leave it at that.

I have issues with Sugar right now. I'm actually dealing with an eating disorder that has turned south to Anorexia. And yes I am a guy.

I'm 6'2" about 133 now. Im doing the shrink/phschotherapist thing now with meds to boot, not seeming to work well. Eating is causing me to get my appetite back which is causing me to binge eat, which causes me severe panic attacks. Life was easier when I was eating 300 calories a day and had no appetite.

Sugar is my downfall though, sweets, cant control myself

I was telling my doc today, I know I need to gain weight, but its easier to lose weight

I am unable to exercise anymore and not able to ride the Busa anymore.

Take care everyone

Short and sweet I see.

I think we want the same end-result, we just have different means in attaining that result. We both want more individual responsibility, I too want less government control - but not in the way that you are thinking.

Today, the way the system is, no one ends up being responsible for their actions and choices. If you tax the very problem itself, at least you are getting SOMETHING back for each person's poor choice. This should reflect directly on how much the government withholds from each check (because the excise tax will offset total expenses each year). If you offset the amount of debt we collect each year from medicaid and medicare through excise taxes, then you and I both will be able to keep a little bit more of the money we rightfully make each year. Unless of course, these people purchase their bad habits with a food stamp credit card - then we're screwed regardless :laugh:

The alternative would be to stop government hand-outs, which frankly isn't going to happen. When it comes to healthcare, it is truly not going to happen - for many many reasons.

My buddy and i argue this same point all the time. But recently we figured came to a conclusion. I am on the side of free market w/o the gov. being in it and he is on the side of a more socialized medical plan. We both agree though that this half in half out crap is making everything worse, they need to either be all in or all out. I prefer all out but if the country chose to have an all in system thats that. Though i highly doubt either or would ever happen.

As to the other point ya we do have same end goal, and the only way to promote personal responsibility is education imho. when presented with a situation where you can do what you want and know that someone else will foot the bill its easy to make the bad choices. So the other side would be to stop hand outs. That won't happen but we could put more limits on them to maybe spur rational decisions. But maybe thats just hoping in the end.

My buddy and i argue this same point all the time. But recently we figured came to a conclusion. I am on the side of free market w/o the gov. being in it and he is on the side of a more socialized medical plan. We both agree though that this half in half out crap is making everything worse, they need to either be all in or all out. I prefer all out but if the country chose to have an all in system thats that. Though i highly doubt either or would ever happen.

As to the other point ya we do have same end goal, and the only way to promote personal responsibility is education imho. when presented with a situation where you can do what you want and know that someone else will foot the bill its easy to make the bad choices. So the other side would be to stop hand outs. That won't happen but we could put more limits on them to maybe spur rational decisions. But maybe thats just hoping in the end.

Ah, see, we agree. :laugh: :beerchug:

I have to say though, some of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis scare me that they have the right to vote, let alone make choices. I will also admit that I do believe that darwinism should take its place.

Back