Can't bloody stop..!!!

paddy o'busa

Registered
No question about it - the power's there,.... but does anyone else feel like their stock brakes are crap? I kinda knew i wasn't stopping as fast as i'd like to but after i rode my workmates RC51, I didn't want to ride my bike home. What have you guy's done to your grabbers?

put HJC racing pads on the front at 300 miles.

Use more front brakes than you think you need. As long as you still have 2 rotors up front, you can use 80% of your stopping power up front. Try it on a nice dry, clean surface. You'll be suprised.

I changed to HJC cuz the stock pads were too hard and squeaked like the dickens.

smile.gif

The RC51, The previous unit's brakes were fine, but the new four-piston jobbies are even better. The old brakes were extremely progressive--once activated you only had to move your finger a smidge to stop the bike. The new brakes are totally linear and require more lever travel, providing better feel, easier modulation and more feedback.
The RC51 is very light compared to the Busa and has very aggressive brakes. You can't compare the braking of the Honda to a Busa, anymore than you could compare the top speed of a Busa to a Honda! Cache is right got to get use to giving the front brake alittle more squeeze than the smaller liter counterparts. Not to hard or you'll be riding a STOPPIE!

I have heard others complain the brakes are to spongy! If this is the case most are changing their brake pads as Cache mentioned or up-grading their brake lines. Either mod is about average difficulty. Hope this helps..........

Now that I have two Busa's, I can really notice the difference in braking between the brake lines. My old Busa has braided lines all around, while the new one has stock. I think the new Busa brakes feel much spongier and and softer. I am getting braided lines on the new Busa ASAP!!! Maybe new pads too, but do those after market pads score the rotors?

My Busa stops just fine with one rotor up front...However, you may simply need to bleed the system for a stiffer feel...

Hey Doc, what kind of brake lines you running? Kevlar wound or steel braided? I think there's one other kind but I can't think of it right now.

You need the steel braided lines before pads, the stock lines are way too spongy, youll notice a huge improvement. If that isnt enough stopping power, then upgrade the pads.

Yup.... I'll have to pick up some braided lines, I've ridden my old F2 at Sears point adn it had braded lines - nice. I'm off to Scuderia West to put in my order. Any tips on pads?

You need the steel braided lines before pads, the stock lines are way too spongy, youll notice a huge improvement. If that isnt enough stopping power, then upgrade the pads.
Yes. Do that. I used the BFGoodrich lines. The small diameter ones. I also use Motul 6 fluid. Then I went to PerformanceFriction pads. My bike stopped on a dime. I haven't done this mod to my Busa yet, but I will. Those pads have been known to score the rotors a little, but they never did on mine. Even at track days. I am really hard on my equipment. Trust me, if it doesn't break on me, it won't break on you.

I rode with stock lines for a year, until a semi truck crossed 3 lains of traffic at the Bay Bridge trying to get off at the toll booths parking lot. Once I cleaned out my pants I went and ordered new braded lines. Now she stops with the best of them. Recommend going to the braded lines. They don't expand and provide solid stopping power with some good aftermarket pads. I use EBC Sintered for the front, and
regular EBC for the rear. (EBC doesn't make sintered for rear)
as far as I know.

Im going with the braided lines when the front pads need to be changed. I've used EBC pads for a long time on the old GSXR.

Where can I get braided lines and should I only put them on the front? And how much am I lookin at to get em installed? Round-about figure.

Where can I get braided lines and should I only put them on the front?  And how much am I lookin at to get em installed?  Round-about figure.
Hey cousin Higg,

I just ordered sets for all-around for a reasonable price at this place Newport Cycle Parts Check them out. I ordered front/rear brakes and clutch lines for about $150 total. They have Goodbridge and Galfer. Pretty nice people also.

Brian

Hey Paddyobusa..when did you ride at sears point?
rock.gif
or do you still?? I rode there in 90 91..was there when the big fire raged...were you there..sheez whatta track..best time was a 1.59 on a 89 fzr600....lets chat....omig..turn 5..arms buckled
chest to the tank...no bails..but saw others ...Ouch...

Great thread!

I just switched from a 2002 'Blade to a new 2003 'Bus. Now, I knew that I wasn't going to get the kind of brake performace that I had but I never anticipated the lack of stopping power that I have now got. Crap!

I buy into the braided hoses and perhaps even better pads.

Mate of mine here has a 2003 as well. He says, and as my bike is down in Norfolk, I haven't looked yet, but there is one hose down from the master, it goes to one set of pots and a jumper to the other set on the left. He states that he has run seperate lines to each set of pots and it has made a sig improvement.

Comments?

W

Great thread!

I just switched from a 2002 'Blade to a new 2003 'Bus. Now, I knew that I wasn't going to get the kind of brake performace that I had but I never anticipated the lack of stopping power that I have now got. Crap!

I buy into the braided hoses and perhaps even better pads.

Mate of mine here has a 2003 as well. He says, and as my bike is down in Norfolk, I haven't looked yet, but there is one hose down from the master, it goes to one set of pots and a jumper to the other set on the left. He states that he has run seperate lines to each set of pots and it has made a sig improvement.

Comments?

W

Back