Cant believe i spent $154 on running shoes..

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
but i did...and i'm praying it's money well spent as since i recently hit the 6 months "Clean & Sober" mark?..it's part of my motivation to conquer my next demon..

"Quit Smoking"

so along with purchasing an electronic water vapor cig as a weening pacifier of sorts (seeking progress not perfection) i also spent hours researching the best running shoe money can buy since ironically enough?..back when i was C&S 2 decades ago?..i had quit smoking..and for a period of about 5-6 years usta run 3-5 miles every day..and i loved it..i guess you could say i was addicted to it..running through the wall always cleared my head and the natural high of endorphines was..well?..a high i could live with. :laugh:

And i felt great too!..at age 32 i weighed 160lbs..could cleanly bench 350 (1 time) and hold a consistant 6 minute miles jogging pace..and i was proud of that as anything under 18 minutes for a 3 mile run was considered 100% in the USMC for an age bracket of 18-24..and here i was a 32 year old civilian.

so?...now at age 52 and 6 months clean?..i wanna quit smoking..and get back to my old marine corps shuffle..and i'll be happy if i can hold an 8 minute mile at first..but..i dont want any excuses cropping up..and even back in my 30's i usta hafta buy the best most cushioned running shoes and wrap my left ankle with an ace bandage and wear 2 pairs of cushioned socks..remembered buying my running shoes a 1/2 size large just for that..and last night?..at sports authority?..i bought my dream shoes to pr4otect my 52 year old bones.."Asics Gel Nymbus 12's"...$124.95..and had $20 sofsols installed..with tax?..$154..and OMG..these things rock...like tying pillows to my feet ..make my old $120 nike shocks (that i just used for walkin round dress sneaks) feel like wood blocks..so?..wish me luck folks..i wanna get back to feeling at least healthy again before i hit senior citizen status! :laugh:

PS: BTW: I'm having my daughter (works for a high end resort hotel) check rooms & prices for March 11th & 12th..so i can get up to daytona for friday night..stay for the saturday daytona 200 races then head back home sunday..tickets for the infield are the usual $45..lmk if any of yall wanna meet up. :thumbsup:

L8R, Bill. :cool:

I remember the runners high you got once you past the wall. I wish I could run again but the old knees say don't do it!

A good pair of running shoes is the best place to start since you only have one pair of feet. It's good too that they hurt your pocket book some. On those days you don't want to run, look at those expensive shoes and say to yourself, "I can do it, I know I can"! :thumbsup:

Money very well spent IMO. $154 isn't much considering your buying health and a long, happy life.:thumbsup:
As soon as you get some base fitness built up, go looking for a runners club or organization in your area. Get with some other people of like mind and it snowballs in a hurry.
I quit smoking and started riding bicycles around with the GF's kids. Progressed to riding with a local cycling club, 3 years later I was chasing points in the state mountain bike racing series.

I remember the runners high you got once you past the wall. I wish I could run again but the old knees say don't do it!

A good pair of running shoes is the best place to start since you only have one pair of feet. It's good too that they hurt your pocket book some. On those days you don't want to run, look at those expensive shoes and say to yourself, "I can do it, I know I can"! :thumbsup:

LOL! @...

"I wish I could run again but the old knees say don't do it! "

as yourself..i can relate...which is why i researched and bought the squishiest..most gushiest..cushioniset yet stable and comfy high enders money can buy..there was only one pair in the store that was pricy'er and that was the asics kayana 17's at $139.95 but..they aqre the same exact shoe as the asics gel nymbus 12's with one exception..they are built for bow-legged folk whose feet run over-pronant and have a special stiffer foam wedge to force their feet to neutral as they strike instead of running on the outside edges of their feet..thank god i researched it and learned a bit cause i couldnt help but giggle thinking how many folks buy the kayana 17's just cause they cost a few bucks more..thinking they must be better in some way..not realizing "why"? :laugh:

btw..i'm starting out with a granny shuffle..as in a brisk walker might even pass me...but i wont see any cause at first?..i'm jogging the back 40 of my developement so no one can see and laugh at how slow i'm gonna go..and?..i'm gonna tell the daughters to watch for any circling buzzards till daddy gets back..and if they see some?..grab the whellbarrow and come get daddy! :laugh:

EDIT PS: This shid played a role in my "motovational thinking" with me as well..

"It's good too that they hurt your pocket book some. On those days you don't want to run, look at those expensive shoes and say to yourself, "I can do it, I know I can"! "

apparently?..we think alike..i'll also be gawkin at'im everytime i wanna light up a smoke! :laugh:

Money very well spent IMO. $154 isn't much considering your buying health and a long, happy life.:thumbsup:
As soon as you get some base fitness built up, go looking for a runners club or organization in your area. Get with some other people of like mind and it snowballs in a hurry.
I quit smoking and started riding bicycles around with the GF's kids. Progressed to riding with a local cycling club, 3 years later I was chasing points in the state mountain bike racing series.

Good for you Tom! :thumbsup:

I hope i can follow suit. :bowdown:

LOL! @...

"I wish I could run again but the old knees say don't do it! "

as yourself..i can relate...which is why i researched and bought the squishiest..most gushiest..cushioniset yet stable and comfy high enders money can buy..there was only one pair in the store that was pricy'er and that was the asics kayana 17's at $139.95 but..they aqre the same exact shoe as the asics gel nymbus 12's with one exception..they are built for bow-legged folk whose feet run over-pronant and have a special stiffer foam wedge to force their feet to neutral as they strike instead of running on the outside edges of their feet..thank god i researched it and learned a bit cause i couldnt help but giggle thinking how many folks buy the kayana 17's just cause they cost a few bucks more..thinking they must be better in some way..not realizing "why"? :laugh:

btw..i'm starting out with a granny shuffle..as in a brisk walker might even pass me...but i wont see any cause at first?..i'm jogging the back 40 of my developement so no one can see and laugh at how slow i'm gonna go..and?..i'm gonna tell the daughters to watch for any circling buzzards till daddy gets back..and if they see some?..grab the whellbarrow and come get daddy! :laugh:

EDIT PS: This shid played a role in my "motovational thinking" with me as well..

"It's good too that they hurt your pocket book some. On those days you don't want to run, look at those expensive shoes and say to yourself, "I can do it, I know I can"! "

apparently?..we think alike..i'll also be gawkin at'im everytime i wanna light up a smoke! :laugh:

Heard that Brother. You just don't know how alike we are. I quit smoking 3 years ago and I'm 53. I used to run like you and just about the same times in the mile. I tried again but ran at night so no one could see me do the old man shuffle. :rofl:

Hang on in there and you have my support anytime. That's a fact!

Back