Can you remove front fender...

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
I am awaiting a new carbon fiber fender and i took a look and i'm not too sure, to replace the fender, does the front wheel have to be uninstalled or can it be done without removing anything else?

rock.gif

I had to drill out 2 rivets attaching the brake line bracket to the fender. Other than that, remove the 6 bolts and slide it out. Be careful, its easy to scratch the paint on the forks.

(BusaWhipped @ Mar. 17 2007,15:45) I had to drill out 2 rivets attaching the brake line bracket to the fender. Other than that, remove the 6 bolts and slide it out. Be careful, its easy to scratch the paint on the forks.
Thanks for the info :-) Good to know it should be an easy job

race.gif

(BusaWhipped @ Mar. 17 2007,15:45) I had to drill out 2 rivets attaching the brake line bracket to the fender.  Other than that, remove the 6 bolts and slide it out.  Be careful, its easy to scratch the paint on the forks.
+1

You can't get the fender off or on with the wheel on if the little loop that holds the brakeline down is there.

Dunno why they riveted that and used snapons for the rest.

I was actually able to squeeze it through by putting rags over the hooks. It was still hard but didn't scratch anything. Some others have done it that way too... but I think I would rather drill out the stupid rivets and use small bolts to hold it on. That would have been way less risky and less a pain in the future.

I didn't even have to drill out any rivets. Was able to pop the bracket out on mine?

(vincent @ Mar. 17 2007,14:02) I didn't even have to drill out any rivets. Was able to pop the bracket out on mine?
+1

I had no issues removing mine with the wheel on and didn't drill anything.

Spencer

thanks guys....just changed my front fender. A word of advice, tile it forward so the clamp on the right hand side slips under the thick portion of the forks (and use a towel)

After drilling out the rivets, get some stainless phillips machines screws, flat washers, split ring lock washers and nuts.

Mix up a small amount of JB epoxy and epoxy the nuts to the inside of the fender. Be careful where the epoxy may run before setting up!

Makes removing that bracket a snap in the future and you don't have to fumble with the nut when reinstalling.

This was my first mod. :laugh:

Blue1

nice job. by the way does anyone know how much mod is involved in replacing a stock front fender with a cf gsxr1000?

you putting a CF fender back in there. Don't "try to make it work" when you go to do the install back on. After spending "X" dollars it's not worth the risk. Finish on the CF fender is less forgiving.

Good Luck!

Back